(单词翻译:单击)
HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE WORK FOR YOU
成百上千的人为你工作
Did you ever stop to think that there are hundreds of people working for you every day?
你有没有想过每天都有成百上千的人为你工作?
Perhaps you don't see how that can be true.
也许你在想这不是真的 。
Let us think a moment.
让我们想一下 。
That orange or apple or grapefruit you ate for breakfast—did it just drop from the tree on to your table?
你早餐吃的橘子、苹果或葡萄柚——是从树上掉下来的吗?
The wool in the clothes you are wearing—did you take it from the sheep and put it on?
你衣服上的羊毛,是你从羊身上取下来穿上的吗?
No. The fruit you eat comes to you because men and women have planted trees, picked the ripe fruit, and in other ways helped you to have it.
不是 。因为农夫们种了树,摘下成熟的果实,然后通过其他方式,这才让你吃上水果 。
Your clothes are the work of sheep-herders, sheep-shearers, cotton-pickers, cloth-makers, railroad men, and others.
你穿的衣服是牧羊人、剪羊毛人、拣棉人、织布人、铁路工人和别人的成果 。
Now do you see that there are really many, many people working for you?
现在你看到有很多很多人为你工作了吧?
Yes, the world is full of workers.
是的,工人们无处不在 。
They are working that you and I may have food to eat, clothes to wear, homes to live in, and other things to make us happy and comfortable.
他们工作,好让我们有食物吃,有衣服穿,有房子住,让我们的生活快乐舒适 。
In this part of your book, you will read stories that tell how some of the world's work is done.
本部分,我们将为您讲述世界上的一些工作是如何完成的 。
First, you will be carried back to the time when our country was young,
首先,你们将会被带到国家年轻的时候,
and you will see the busiest man of those days making something that meant greater comfort to thousands.
你会看到那个时代最忙的人,他们从事着一些让成千上万人更舒服的职业 。
Then you will visit groves of golden oranges, watch sheep losing their warm coats of wool,
然后你会去参观一丛丛金橘林,看到羊毛是如何剪的,
see some boys working faithfully so that they may have a playground,
看到一些男孩尽职地工作,所以他们可能有一块空地,
and last of all, sail out to capture some blackfish.
最后,出海去抓一些黑鱼 。