(单词翻译:单击)
As I approached, the big bull, sensing danger, goose-stepped forward a few paces.
当我靠近它们的时候,大公象嗅到了危险,它昂首挺胸,向前迈了几步 。
Then he saw me. Instantly his trunk went up and his ears spread.
接着,它看到了我 。它的象鼻子立刻扬了起来,大耳朵也舒展开了 。
For the space of five seconds we gazed at each other silently.
我们默默地注视着对方,大约停滞了五秒 。
Then his feet stamped angrily, and he snorted with rage.
忽然,它生气地跺跺脚并且愤怒地喷起鼻息 。
I knew what was coming and prepared myself as, with a furious grunt,
我知道等待我们的将是什么,我做好了准备 。这只长牙兽愤怒地哼了一声,
the big tusker lowered his trunk and charged.
把象鼻降下来,然后向我猛冲过来 。
I turned and ran for my life while Osa cranked away with a will.
我转过身,拼命地跑 。就在这时,奥萨努力转动摄像机拍摄 。
It was by the use of such methods that we sometimes obtained our best pictures,
通过这种方法,我们有时才能得到最好的图像 。
but this time I had gone too close, and this old bull seemed particularly revengeful.
但是这一次,我走得太近了,这只老象看起来报复心特别重 。
The other six elephants came tearing after him,
其他六头大象也跟在它的后面奔跑 。
and then to my surprise and dismay a dozen more burst out from the woods behind and joined the stampede.
接下来更令人惊讶和沮丧的是,又有一打多大象从树林里冲出来,加入到了奔袭的队伍中 。
The world seemed suddenly filled with elephants, and they were all headed in my direction.
这里一下子变成了大象的世界,而且它们全都朝我冲过来 。
I ran toward the camera, while Osa continued turning the crank.
我朝着摄像机跑去,而奥萨仍然转动着摄像机不断地拍摄,
Not that she was enjoying it, but she knew she was getting a wonderful bit of film,
并不是她喜欢这样,她只知道自己正在拍摄非常棒的影像,
and there was nothing she could do for me yet.
而且此时她并不能为我做什么 。
As I tore up to the camera, she snatched her rifle from her gun boy and fired.
当我狂奔到摄像机旁,她从拿枪的男孩那里抓过步枪,开了一枪 。
The big bull stumbled, nearly knocking over the camera as he crashed by, and fell with a mighty thud.
猛冲在前面的大公象踉跄了一下,差点儿撞翻摄像机,接着轰然倒地 。
Fortunately for us, the balance of the herd split and passed on.
幸运的是,整个象群的协调一致也随之瓦解了 。