(单词翻译:单击)
"A fair day, my lad, "said the little old woman, "That's a heavy load you have to carry. What is in your basket?"
小伙子今天天气真好,老妇人说,你提的篮子太重了,里面装了什么?
"Nothing but some dirt from the road," answered the boy.
没什么,只是路上的一些土,男孩回答道 。
"Dirt!" said the old woman. "You don't mean that?"
土!你不是那个意思吧?老妇人说道 。
"Yes, I do mean it," answered the boy.
是的,我就是那个意思 。男孩回答说 。
"Oh, very well. You will find out when you get to your journey's end," said the old woman, and she kept on washing and singing.
嗯,那好吧,到了旅途终点,你就会知道那里面是什么了 。老妇人说完接着洗衣服唱歌 。
"She means something by those words," thought the boy. "But the pears are all right, for I haven't let her even look at them."
她这话中有话,男孩想 。但是梨子没有问题,因为我并没有让她看到梨子 。
So on he went until he came to the palace.
于是他继续赶路,一直走到了王宫 。
As soon as he had told what his errand was, he was led before the king.
在说明了来意之后,他被领到国王面前 。
"You have brought me some pears, have you?" said the king, smiling.
你给我带了一些梨子,是吗?国王笑着说 。
"Yes, sir," answered the boy. "In my basket are some of the finest yellow pears in the world."
是的,国王陛下,我的篮子中放了世界上最好的黄梨 。
The king was so pleased to hear this that he began to take off the covering of leaves.
男孩回答道 。国王听到这儿很是高兴,他揭开叶子 。
But he was very angry when he found nothing except dirt in the basket.
但当他发现篮子里只有土的时候,他非常生气 。
The servants, who stood by, at once took the boy away and shut him up in a room by himself.
站在一旁的侍卫立刻带走了这个男孩,把他单独关到一间屋子里 。
"It is all a trick of that old woman by the fountain," said the unhappy lad.
这是水源旁的老妇人耍的诡计,生气的孩子说 。