(单词翻译:单击)
词汇学习
I didn't put any stock into such speculation or superstition.
我不迷信也不乱猜,
speculation: 猜测
speculate v. 推测
The doctors speculate that he died of cancer.
医生推测他死于癌症。
【词义辨析】
think,reflect, speculate,
think: 一般用词,指开动脑筋形成看法或得出结论的脑力活动。不着重结论是否正确,见解是否有用。
reflect: 指回想或回顾,侧重认真而冷静地反复地思考某个问题,尤指对已发生事情的思索。
speculate: 指推论过程,隐含在证据不足的基础上作出推测或设想。
superstition: 迷信
It's a common superstition that black cats are unlucky.
认为黑猫不吉利,这是一种普遍的迷信思想。
He holds that ignorance leads to superstition.
他认为无知会导致迷信。
Well, you can see my predicament.
这下我苦恼了
predicament: 窘况,困境
They tried to weasel out of the predicament.
他们试图摆脱这种困境。
A loan of money would help me out of my predicament.
只需一笔贷款就能帮我摆脱困境。
My wedding ring, the symbol of fidelity to my wife...
我的婚戒,我对妻子忠贞的象征…
soon to be mother of my child...
而她也即将是孩子的妈了
fidelity: 忠诚
She praised his servant for his fidelity.
她称赞他仆人的忠诚。
They betokened their fidelity to the leader with a vow.
他们以宣誓来表示他们对领袖的忠诚。
Did I want to deprive my son the chance to catch a fish like this of his own?
我真的要剥夺我儿子亲手逮到此鱼的机会吗?
deprive: 剥夺
We have no right to deprive their life.
我们没有权利去剥夺它们的生命。
The spread of television have considerably deprive us of our time for reading.
电视的普及剥夺了我们相当多的阅读时间。
【词义辨析】
rob, steal, plunder, deprive,
rob: 最常用词,指用暴力恐吓或哄骗等非法手段抢夺财物。
steal: 普通用词,指暗中行窃。
plunder: 指大规模或大范围地掠夺。
deprive: 多指夺去或扣留别人拥有或可能拥有的有价值或必需的东西,也可用于指抽象的事物。
翻译练习
你能否想出这种伤害是怎样引起的?
那种迷信在他们之间广为流传。
我突然发现自己处于困境中。
历史上狗儿忠诚的事例较诸朋友忠诚的事例多得多。
你不能剥夺她的权利。
参考答案
Can you speculate how such damage might arise?
你能否想出这种伤害是怎样引起的?
That superstition was prevalent among them.
那种迷信在他们之间广为流传。
I suddenly found myself in an awkward predicament.
我突然发现自己处于困境中。
History is more full of examples of the fidelity of dog than of friend.
历史上狗儿忠诚的事例较诸朋友忠诚的事例多得多。
You can't deprive her of her rights.
你不能剥夺她的权利。