每天一句电影口语第33期:缓和一下
日期:2011-12-23 14:17

(单词翻译:单击)

I didn't know what I was supposed to feel. Confused, sad, rejected?
我不清楚自己当时是什么感受;困惑,悲伤还是被遗弃的难堪?

I decided to walk to clear my head.
我决定走一走,清醒一下。

Also, I just left my cab fare on the table.
况且,我刚刚把打车的钱留在餐桌上了。

So I walked. I walked 48 blocks in 400$ shoes.
所以我只能走路了。我穿着400美元的鞋子走过了48个街区。

I just needed something to take the edge off.
我需要缓和一下自己的心情。

——《 欲望都市》

take the edge off something 使减弱,弱化

edge 指刀刃,把某物的刀刃拿掉,就是使其软化、减弱、挫钝的意思,类似于挫伤锐气,off 后面常跟的宾语有 appetite 食欲,arrogance 傲慢自大,anger 愤怒,pleasure 高兴等。

A series of setbacks he encountered in the initial stage of the experiment did not take the edge off his courage.
试验初期的一系列挫折并没有使他气馁。

That big chocolate bar before supper took the edge off Tom's appetite.
饭前那块大巧克力使汤姆的胃口大减。

John's parents took him to Mr. Smith's home to apologize for breaking her window, which took the edge off her anger.
约翰的双亲带她到史密斯太太家去为打碎玻璃的是赔不是,这使他怒气大消。

His brother's failure took the edge off his own success.
他哥哥的失败冲淡了他自己成功的喜悦。

That'll take the edge off your hunger.
那可以让你充充饥。

分享到
重点单词
  • arrogancen. 傲慢,自大
  • initialn. (词)首字母 adj. 开始的,最初的,字首的 v
  • appetiten. 嗜好,食欲,欲望
  • faren. 路费,食物 vi. 过活,进展,进食 vi.
  • confusedadj. 困惑的;混乱的;糊涂的 v. 困惑(confu
  • apologizevi. 道歉,谢罪