(单词翻译:单击)
词汇精讲
● Please hop on top of my sterilized examination table, if you may. (hop 跳)
如果可以的话,请跳到我消过毒的检查台上来。——《马达加斯加1》
sterilize v. 给……灭菌,给……消毒
He boiled his knife to sterilize it.
他把刀子放到水中煮进行消毒。
● There's none of this in the wild. this is highly refined food thing that you do not find in the wild.
你在野外肯定不可能找到这个东西。这可是精制的食物,你在野外可是找不到的。——《马达加斯加1》
refine v. 精炼,提纯;改善,改进
refined adj. 精炼的,提纯的,精制的
They refine sugar using this way.
他们用这种方法精制糖。
Native salt needs to be refined for eating.
天然盐需精练以供食用。
● Maybe you should talk to him, Alex.You know, go over and give him a little pep talk.
也许你应该和他谈谈,Alex。过去给他打打气。——《马达加斯加1》
pep v. 激励,使活跃;使兴致勃勃;增加……的趣味
n. 精力,活力,热情
A walk in the fresh air will pep you up.
在清新空气中散步会使你精神振奋。
He's full of pep in the morning.
他早上精力充沛。
● Shut up! Shut up! I am sleeping here! We're not all nocturnal you know!
闭嘴!闭嘴!我正在睡觉呢!我们可不是夜猫子!——《马达加斯加1》
nocturnal: (指生物)夜间活动的
A nocturnal animal hunts its food at night.
夜行动物在晚上猎食。
Nocturnal animals such as bats and owls only come out at night.
夜行动物,如蝙蝠和猫头鹰只在夜里才出来。
● The police dragged that river for three days, and nary a gun was found. (drag: 搜寻)
警察在河里找了三天,却没有找到你的枪。——《肖申克的救赎》
nary adj. 一个也没有的,连……也没有
The CEO seemed to be immune to criticism and made nary a sound. (immune: 免疫的,不受影响的 criticism: 批评)
总裁似乎不受批评的影响,一声也不吭。
● They had sinned. But was their crime so great... as to merit a death sentence? (sin: 犯过错,犯罪 crime: 罪 as to: 至于 death sentence: 死刑)
他们是犯了错,但他们所犯的错严重到……需要用死来赎罪吗?——《肖申克的救赎》
merit v. 应得
He doesn't merit his punishment.
他不应该受到这样的惩罚。
All women think they merit to be loved.
每个女人都认为自己值得被爱。
● I submit that this was not a hot-blooded crime of passion. That at least could be understood, if not condoned.
(hot-blooded: 易怒的 passion: 愤怒 )
我肯定这不只是一时冲动而犯下的罪行,那至少是可以理解的,即使不能宽恕。——《肖申克的救赎》
submit v. ① 提交,呈递
Please fill in and submit the form below.
请填写并递交以下表格。
② 使屈服,使服从
The minority should submit to the majority.
少数应服从多数。
We have to submit ourselves to discipline.
我们必须遵守纪律。
③ (法律用语)认为,主张,建议
I submit that more proof is needed to support the case.
我认为这个案子需要更多的证据证实。
condone v. 宽恕
I cannot condone the use of violence.
我不能宽恕使用暴力的行为。
I'll forgive you and condone everything!
我可以把以前的事一笔勾销,完全不计较!
● This was revenge... of a much more brutal, cold-blooded nature.
这是复仇,源自冷血的残酷本性。——《肖申克的救赎》
revenge v./n. 复仇,报复
She said she would take her revenge on Tom.
她说她要向汤姆报仇。
I'll revenge on you one day.
总有一天我会找你报仇的。
brutal adj. 野蛮的,残暴的
It was brutal of him to do that.
他做那种事是很残忍的。
The enemy made a brutal attack upon the villagers.
敌人对村民们进行了野蛮的攻击。
翻译练习
厨房里所有的东西都应该消毒。
油一定要精炼后方可使用。
The coach give the team a pep talk before the big game.
夜间活动的动物白天睡觉晚上猎食。
他们一句话也没跟我讲。
History affords us lessons that merit attention.
你准备对我的决定让步吗?
我认为这是可以允许的。
你宽恕他的罪吗?
I did not do it out of revenge.
她不得不去面对残酷的现实。
参考答案
厨房里所有的东西都应该消毒。
Everything in the kitchen should be sterilized.
油一定要精炼后方可使用。
Oil must be refined before it can be used .
The coach give the team a pep talk before the big game.
大赛之前,教练向队员讲话,给他们打气。
夜间活动的动物白天睡觉晚上猎食。
Nocturnal animals sleep by day and hunt by night.
他们一句话也没跟我讲。
They speak nary a word to me.
History affords us lessons that merit attention.
历史给我们提供了值得注意的借鉴。
你准备对我的决定让步吗?
Are you prepared to submit to my decision?
我认为这是可以允许的。
I submit that this should be allowed .
你宽恕他的罪吗?
Do you condone his sin?
I did not do it out of revenge.
我做那件事并不是出于报复。
她不得不去面对残酷的现实。
She has to face the brutal reality.