双语畅销书《我是马拉拉》第11章:聪明的班级(9)
日期:2016-12-12 10:53

(单词翻译:单击)

The state is meant to protect the rights of its citizens,

国家的存在是为了保障国民的权益。

but it’s a very difficult situation when you can’t tell the difference between state and non-state and can’t trust the state to protect you against non-state.

但是,当你无法分辨国家势力和非国家势力时,当你在对抗反国家势力而国家无法起到保护你的作用时,局势就变得相当艰难。

Our military and ISI are very powerful and most people did not like to voice these things publicly,

军队及ISI握有大权,因此,多数人不敢公开发表这样的谴责言论。

but my father and many of his friends were not scared.

但是,父亲和他身旁的许多朋友却无所畏惧。

‘What you are doing is against our people and against Pakistan,’ he would say.

你们正在做的事情不利于人民,也不利于巴基斯坦,父亲说,不要盲目支持塔利班思想,那是不人道的。

‘Don’t support Talibanisation, it’s inhuman.

人们告诉我们,斯瓦特为了整个巴基斯坦的和平做出了牺牲。

We are told that Swat is being sacrificed for the sake of Pakistan, but no one and nothing should be sacrificed for the state.

但是没有人,也不该有任何生命,应该为了国家而牺牲。

A state is like a mother, and a mother never deserts or cheats her children.’

国家犹如母亲,而一个母亲永远也不会放弃或欺骗她的孩子。

He hated the fact that most people would not speak up.

他痛恨多数人敢怒不敢言的作为。

In his pocket he kept a poem written by Martin Niem?ller, who had lived in Nazi Germany.

在他的口袋里,一直存放着一首诗,诗人名叫马丁•尼莫拉,曾生活在纳粹德国。

分享到