CAN YOU SOLVE THE PUZZLE BY ANSWERING THESE QUESTIONS?
1. How many tourists are staying at this camp?
2. When did they arrive: today or a few days ago?
3. How did they get here?
4. Is there a town nearby?
5. Where does the wind blow from: north or south?
6. What time of day is it?
7. Where did Alex go?
8. Who was on duty yesterday?
9. What date is it today?
ANSWERS TO THE CAMP RIDDLE
1. There are four tourists, because of four spoons on the picnic blanket and four names on the duty list.
2. They arrived a few days ago, because a spider's web has appeared between their tent and a tree in that time.
3. They got there by boat. Note the oars by the tree.
4. No, a village is not far...because there's a chicken wandering around.
5. The wind is blowing from the south. A flag that shows the wind direction is on top of the tent. (To tell which direction is which, look at the branches - they're normally bigger on the southern side of trees - if you're in the Northern Hemisphere.)
6. It’s morning. Take the answer from question five to figure out east and west then work out the time based on the shadows.
7. Alex is catching butterflies. His net is behind the tent.
8. Colin was on duty yesterday. Colin is rummaging through his backpack (marked with a 'c'); Alex is catching butterflies; James is taking photos as his tripod can be seen sticking out of his bag. This leaves Peter - then, according to the list, that means Colin was on duty yesterday.
9. Today is August 8th...According to the list, Peter is on duty, and there is a watermelon - which ripen in August - on the ground.