(单词翻译:单击)
She said she had started to play in church where she and her grandmother had to walk over tow miles,
她说,她开始在教堂里弹琴,她和奶奶要走两英里去那家教堂 。
and that she then played in school, had won many awards and a music scholarship.
后来,她在学校里弹琴,获得许多奖并一项音乐奖学金 。
She had married an attorney in Memphis and he had bought her that beautiful grand piano she was playing.
她嫁了一位孟菲斯的律师,先生给她买了那架她正在弹的,漂亮的平台钢琴 。
Something else entered my mind. Elise, I asked, it's a little dark in here. What color is that piano?
我想起了另外一件事 。艾丽丝, 我问她,这里有点儿暗 。那架钢琴是什么颜色的?
It's red mahogany, she said, Why? I couldn't speak.
是一架红木的,她说,为什么?我一时语塞 。
Did she understand the significance of the red mahogany?
她懂得这红木的意义吗?
The unbelievable audacity of her grandmother insisting on a red mahogany piano
她奶奶那令人难以置信的勇气,
when no one in his right mind would have sold her a piano of any kind? I think not.
当没有一个人在处于正常思维情况下肯卖给她任何一架钢琴的时候,她却坚持要一架红木的?我不认为她懂 。
And then the marvelous accomplishment of that beautiful, terribly underprivileged child in the feedsack dress?
我想她也不知道当年那个穿着布袋装,美丽的,穷困潦倒的小女孩,现在取得了如此非凡成就的背后有她奶奶的艰辛支持 。
No, I'm sure she didn't understand that either. But I did, and my throat tightened.
她不知道,但是,我懂 。我的喉咙哽咽了 。
Finally, I found my voice. I just wondered, I said.
最后,我终于能说话了 。我刚才想……
I'm proud of you, but I have to go to my room.
我为你骄傲……不过,我得进我的房间了 。
And I did have to go to my room, because men don't like to be seen crying in public.
我的确得回我的房间去了,因为男人不愿意被人看到在公开场合流泪 。