洪恩环境英语第六册 Lesson 8:He had to work two Jobs
日期:2012-04-24 16:44

(单词翻译:单击)

Lesson 8 He had to work two Jobs.
他对必须做两份工作
That smells good. I hope so.How are you?
真香. 希望如此.你好吗?
I'm fine.I rehearsed today.
我很好.我今天排练了.
How was the rehearsal?
排练得怎么样?
I had to work very hard.
我必须得非常努力地工作.
Dinner should be ready in a few minutes.
晚饭一会儿就好.
I have to make special dinners for your father now. He's on a diet.
我现在得为你爸爸准备专门的饭菜,他正在节食.
Oh,I have to give him his medicine.
噢,我得给他吃药了.
You look tired.What did you do today?
你看起来很累,今天做什么了?
I had to do a lot of errands.
我干了许多跑腿儿的事儿.
First I had to go to the grocery store and buy things for dinner.
先是去仪器杂货店买了些东西用来做晚饭,
Then I had to buy some medicine for your father.
然后给你你买了点药,
Then I had to return some books to the library.
然后去图书馆还书.
What a busy day!...
这一天可真忙!..
Can I go see Dad now? Sure. He's awake.
我现在能看看爸爸吗? 当然.他醒着呢.
Is the nurse with him?
护士和他在一起吗?
No.I sent her home an hour ago.
不,我一小时前让她回家了.
Can I come in? Come in,Jeff.
我能进来吗? 进来,杰夫.
What's that?
那是什么?
These are old pictures and scrapbooks.I was thinking about the Bennett family.
这是一些旧照片与剪贴簿. 我正在回忆班纳特家族呢.
Ah,the old Bennetts.
啊,是班纳特家族的老辈人呀.
They were a tough bunch..
他们是意志坚强的人...
Look,here's my great-great-grandfather Patrick.
看,这是我祖父的祖父,帕特里克.
Didn't he have to leave Ireland when he was only sixteen?
他在十六岁时就不得不离开爱尔兰,是吗?
Yes,he had to leave the country quickly.
是的,他必须尽快离开爱尔兰.
I never knew why.
我从不知道为什么.
He never saw his mother and father again.
他再也没有见过他的爸爸和妈妈.
You said he had to work very hard.
你曾说过他不得不非常努力地工作.
Right.He built bridges and worked on the old steamships.
是的.他修过桥,也在老式蒸汽船上工作过.
He was a real character. Who's that?
他真了不起. 那是谁?
That's Sarah Bennett,my great-grandmother.
莎拉.班纳特,我的曾祖母.
What did she do?
她是做什么的?
She came to this country,and she started a laundry business from nothing.
她来到这个国家,白手起家,办起洗衣店.
She had five children.
她有5个孩子.
Didn't her brother move west?
她的兄弟没去西部吗?
Yes.He owned his own ranch.
去了.他拥有自己的农场.
Did she have to fight outlaws?
他得与不法分子斗争吗?
Yes,he did.He had to defend the land.
是的.他必须保护他的土地.
That's Grandpa A1.
那是阿尔祖父.
Right.What a man he was!
是的.他真是个男子汉!
He had to support you and Grandma through the Depression.
在经济大萧条时期他得养活你们和祖母.
He had to work two jobs.
他得同时做两份工作.
He put three children through school.
他供三个孩子念完了书.
You had to work too.
你也得工作.
You had to work during the day and go to school at night.
白天工作,晚上还得上课.
These Bennetts were tougher than I am.
班纳特家族的这些人都比我坚强.
I didn't have to leave the country or fight outlaws.
我不必离开自己的国家,也不必与不法分子斗争.
I didn't have to start a business. I didn't have to work two jobs.
我不用自己做生意,我不用做两份工作,
I didn't even have to work weekends.
我甚至不用周末工作.
No.You didn't have to do any of those things.
不,你不必做那些事.
But you're doing what you want to do.
但是你做着你想做的,
And you do it well..I think the other Bennetts would admire you.
而且做得不错...我想班纳特家其他人也会称赞你的.
This doesn't sound like you,Dad.
爸爸,这话不像是你说的
I have more time to think these days,Jeff...I'm proud of you.
这阵子我有更多的时间想些事情,杰夫,我为你自豪.
What's that?
那是什么?
I brought you something,I hid it here last night.
我给你带来的一样东西.我昨晚藏在这儿了.
What is it? A present.
什么东西? 一件礼物.
You didn't have to get me a present.
你不用送我礼物.
I didn't have to,but I wanted to.
我不必送,但我想送,
But you have to promise me something before you open it.
但在你打开它之前得答应我一件事.
What? You have to wait until I talk to the doctor before you use this. OK.
什么? 你得等我与医生谈过之后才能用这个. 好的.
And you have to promise me something else. What?
你还得答应我另一件事. 什么?
You have to promise me that we can go out to the golf course together.
你得答应我,我们可以一起去高尔夫球场.
It's a deal.
这事儿就这么定了.
Now can I open my present? What is it? A baseball bat?
现在我能打开我的礼物了吗?是什么? 一根棒球棒?
This is the end of Lesson 8
第八课已经结束。

分享到
重点单词
  • depressionn. 沮丧,萧条
  • laundryn. 洗衣店,要洗的衣服,洗衣
  • baseballn. 棒球
  • minutesn. 会议记录,(复数)分钟
  • rehearsaln. 排练,彩排
  • defendv. 防护,辩护,防守