第1120期:包含国家名的英语习语
日期:2021-03-23 06:43

(单词翻译:单击)

英语中有不少习语含有国家的名字,却有着意想不到的意思,如Dutch uncle(动辄训人的人),那么希腊、中国、法国这些国家在英文习语中又是什么意思呢,一起来看看吧!


1. It’s all Greek to me

We use this expression when we cannot understand something we read or hear.

当我们不理解看到的或听到的某件事时,可以使用这句表达。

When you start talking Shakespeare I really get lost. It's all Greek to me. I just cannot understand any of it.

当你说莎士比亚的时候,我真得一头雾水。我完全不懂,我一点都不明白。


2. Go Dutch-分享账单,AA制

We go Dutch when we go to a restaurant and share the bill.

我们用这个习语表示去餐馆并且各自结账。

"Rachel does not like her male companion to offer her dinner. She always prefers to go Dutch."

“瑞秋不喜欢男伴请客,她喜欢各付各的。”


3. Dutch Courage

When you need a little alcohol to give you the courage or confidence to do something.

这个习语用在你需要一点酒来壮胆做某事的时候。

"I think I’ll have a quick drink for Dutch Courage before I ask that girl to dance with me."

“我觉得邀请那个女孩和我跳舞之前我应该喝点酒壮胆。”


4. Talk for England

When someone can talk for hours and hours.

这个习语指的是某人可以长篇大论讲很久。

"I’m so sorry I’m late. I couldn’t get away from Linda. She can talk for England!"

“抱歉我迟到了。琳达太能讲了,我实在脱不开身。”


5. Pardon My French (UK)

We use this expression before or after we have said something rude, for example, a swear word.

在我们说了粗鲁的话,比如脏话之前或之后,可以用这句。


6. Slow Boat to China

We use this expression to describe something that is very slow and takes a long time.

这句习语用来描述做某件事需要花费很长的时间。

"Waiting for the architects to produce their plans was like taking the slow boat to China."

“等待建筑师们的设计计划需要花费很长时间。


想知道卡卡老师的发音秘诀?关注微信公众号 卡卡课堂

分享到