(单词翻译:单击)
Explanation:
解释
Camile: Hi Daniel. Do you know how to use the word ‘if’ correctly in English conversations?
凯密拉:嗨,丹尼尔。你知道在英语的对话中怎样正确使用”if”吗?
Daniel: I do know how to use ‘if’ in some sentences. But sometimes it’s very confusing and I just can’t figure out when and where to use it.
丹尼尔:一般情况下我知道怎样使用“if”.但是有时候我对在什么时候和怎么用感到很困惑。
Camile: I know some situations when we can use it.
凯密拉:我知道在一些情况下我们可以用它。
Daniel : Okay, like what?
丹尼尔:比如说?
Camile: Here’s an example: If you don’t drink water, you’ll die.
凯密拉:举个例子来说:如果你不喝水的话,你会死的。
Daniel : Okay, so I can say that if you stand in the rain, you’ll get wet, which is true and happens to me a lot.
丹尼尔:好,我也可以说,如果你下雨的时候站在外面会感冒的,这种事情在我身上经常发生。
Camile: Yeah, that’s right. Let’s take another example, where ‘if’ can be used to talk about the possibility of something happening in the future. You tell me this time.
凯密拉:对,是这样的。我们再举一个例子,”if”在表示未来发生的事情的可能性的时候可以用。你举个例子吧。
Daniel: Let me see… Okay, I know: if I were a millionaire, I would buy an airplane.
丹尼尔:我想想……有了,如果我是一个百万富翁,我会买一架飞机。
Camile: Yep, that’s correct. Great job!
凯密拉:对,这样是对的,做得好!
Daniel: I think ‘if’ is also used to join two conditions together in which the second condition depends on the first one.
丹尼尔:我认为”if”可以在将两种条件联系在一起时用,并且后一种情况取决于第一种情况。
Camile: That’s right, Daniel. For example, I won’t be hungry anymore if I eat a pizza.
凯密拉:对,比如:如果我吃披萨的话就不会饿。
Daniel: Yes, in your example, there are two situations. Eating a pizza, and being hungry. If you eat a pizza, then you won’t be hungry.
丹尼尔:对,在你的句子中有两种情况。吃披萨和感觉到饿。如果你吃披萨那你就不会饿。
Camile: Okay, now let’s listen to some conversations.
凯密拉:好,下面我们来听一听对话吧。
Talking about True Facts.
讨论事实
Ginny: Hey, you know what?
金妮:嗨,你知道吗?
Rodrick: No. What?
罗德里克:不知道,什么啊?
Ginny: If you eat an apple every day, it helps you fight sickness.
金妮:每天吃一个苹果会帮助你预防疾病。
Rodrick: Yeah, I know that. But if I don’t eat an apple every day, will I die?
罗德里克:是,我知道这个。但是如果我不是每天吃苹果的话,我会死吗?
Ginny: (Laugh). No, probably not. But I think it’s better if you do start eating an apple every day.
金妮:(大笑)不,可能不会。但是我觉得每天吃苹果可能会更好。
Rodrick: I don’t know. There are plenty of other good things to eat than apples.
罗德里克:我不知道,除了苹果还有好多很棒的食物。
Ginny: Yeah, you’re probably right. There are other fruits too.
金妮:你说的也对,还有很多蔬菜。
Rodrick: I think you’ll be healthier if you eat any sort of fruits. Fruits are healthy.
罗德里克:才都会让你更健康,蔬菜是健康食品。
Ginny: That’s right, but I am going to eat apples because I like apples.
金妮:对,但是我要吃苹果,因为我喜欢苹果。
Rodrick: If that’s what you want...
罗德里克:只要你愿意……
Asking Something.
询问某事
Dean: If you were given one billion dollars, what would you buy?
迪恩:如果有人给了你十亿美元,你会买什么?
Sam: I would probably buy an expensive car, a big house and an airplane. And if I had some money left I would buy a farm.
萨姆:我可能会买一辆很贵的车,一座大房子和一架飞机。如果还有剩余,我会买一个农场。
Dean: Wow, that’s great!
迪恩:哇哦,那真是太好了。
Sam: So, what would you do If you got that much money?
萨姆:那么如果你有这些钱你会做什么?
Dean: I think I would help out my family first and then the poor, and if I still had some money left, I’d use it for myself.
迪恩:我觉得首先我会帮助我的家人,然后会帮助穷人,如果还有剩余,我会自己用。
Sam: Wow. I would never do what you would do, if I had so much money.
萨姆:如果我有这么多钱的话我一定不会像你一样的。
Dean: Well, money changes people. But before we buy something, we should always think: “what if I didn’t have this much money?”
迪恩:其实,金钱会改变人。但在我们买东西前,我们应该想想:”如果我没有这么多钱怎么办。”
Sam: So true!
萨姆:对,就是这样。
If I Had Only …
如果我当时…
Cray: Hey Jane. What happened?
克雷:嗨,简。发生什么事了?
Jane: Nothing. I failed my Spanish test.
简:没什么,我的西班牙语考试没及格。
Cray: Really. Didn’t you study?
克雷:真的吗?你没有学习吗?
Jane: I did. But if only I had studied a little more and in advance, I would’ve passed.
简:我学了,但是如果我当时复习的再早一点,刻苦一点,我可能就及格了。
Cray: It’s ok. It’s just one test, and if you study hard for the rest of the year, your Spanish will improve.
克雷:没关系,这只是一次考试,如果你在剩下的时间好好学习,你的西班牙语会有进步的。
Jane: I really hope so because if I fail again, I won’t be able to get a scholarship to Spain.
简:希望这样,如果我又挂科了,我可能会拿不到奖学金。
Cray: Don’t worry. I’ll help you out with Spanish if you help me with my math.
克雷:别担心,如果你帮我学习数学的话,我帮你学习西班牙语。