2分钟英语口语课堂(视频+中英文本) 第15期:黑马 dark horse
日期:2016-05-31 16:36

(单词翻译:单击)

In this lesson, you will learn about the idiom 'dark horse' and how to use it in your conversations.

这节课,你会了解到俗语“黑马”以及在对话中怎样使用它。


Explanation

解释

Jeff: Let's learn about the idiom 'dark horse'. A 'dark horse' is someone who has hidden talents.

Jeff:让我们开始学习俗语“黑马”,一个“黑马”就是别人隐藏的天赋。

Keith: Correct Jeff. A 'dark horse' is a person of little prominence or who has little chance to be successful, but who surprises you at the end by succeeding. For example: in the recent marathon, the runner from Idaho turned out to be the dark horse. It was his first marathon!

Keith:是的,杰夫,“黑马”是一个不太突出或者很难成功,但到最后成功了让人感到很惊讶的人。例如:在马拉松竞赛中,来自爱达荷州的选手成为了一匹黑马,这是他第一次参加马拉松!

Jeff: His abilities and potential were not very well known, but he managed to succeed and beat other competitors who were more popular. Here's another example: nobody thought Edison would become a scientist as he was poor in studies, but he proved to be a dark horse.

Jeff:他的能力和潜能不怎么为人所知,但他成功了并且打败其他更优秀的对手。有另一个例子:因为爱迪生成绩不好,没有人认为他会成为一个科学家,但他证明了自己是一匹黑马。

Keith: In politics, the idiom is used to speak of a candidate who seems less popular or has little chance of winning, but comes out victorious or gains power unexpectedly.

Keith:在政坛中,这句俗语用来讲的是似乎不受欢迎或者没有机会赢的候选人,但后来出乎意料的胜出或者得到了权力。

Jeff: Yes, a 'dark horse' is like a mysterious person whose abilities, plans and thoughts are not known!

Jeff:是的,一匹黑马就像不知道能力,计划还有想法的神秘人!

Keith: Yes, they are often difficult to judge. Let's listen to some conversations with examples of how to use this idiom?

Keith:是的,他们通常很难察觉,让我们听些对话,其中有如何使用这句俗语的例子。

Jeff: Good idea!

Jeff:好主意!


Irene Sings Beautifully

艾琳唱歌很动听

Ben: Wow Irene! I didn't know you could sing so well!

Ben:哇,艾琳,我甚至都不知道你唱歌如此美妙!

Irene: Thank you, Ben!

Irene:谢谢你,本!

Ben: You're actually advancing to the finals in the competition.

Ben:你实际上可以提前进入最后决赛的。

Irene: Yes. In fact, I was in a band.

Irene:是的,其实我进入了乐队

Ben: Aha! So you're the dark horse in this competition! What was the band's name?!

Ben:啊,那么你是这次比赛中的黑马,乐队叫什么名字?

Irene: Ever heard of Blue Velvet?

Irene:有没有听说过蓝丝绒?

Ben: Sure! There was a time when I used to listen to 'Goodnight friend' all day long!

Ben:当然听说过了,有一段时间我一整天都听《朋友,晚安》!

Irene: Really?! Well...that was us!

Irene:真的吗?好吧,那就是我们乐队的专辑。


Irene Is Blue Velvet!

艾琳在蓝丝绒里

Toby: The talk shows are saying that the former High Court judge is the dark horse to be the new governor.

Toby:脱口秀说前任高级法院的法官是成为新州长的黑马。

Ben: Yeah, he came from nowhere and achieved prominence in polls. He's very intelligent and a visionary!

Ben:是啊,他不知道从哪里冒出的,而且在民意调查中获得声望。他非常优秀并且很有远见。

Toby: He may win. Some people have hidden talents.

Toby:他可能会胜出,一些人都有隐藏的天赋。

Ben: We have a dark horse among us, too.

Ben:在我们之中也有一匹黑马。

Toby: Another politician?

Toby:其他政治家?

Ben: No. I was talking to Irene and found out that she was one of the Blue Velvet members!

Ben:不是,我和艾琳交谈过,发现她是蓝丝绒成员之一!

Toby: Really? I love their songs!

Toby:真的吗?我喜欢他们的歌!


Chess Mastermind.

国际象棋大师

Keith: It's surprising that Isaac has won the local chess championship!

Keith:太震惊了,艾萨克赢得了当地国际象棋比赛冠军!

Toby: He's a dark horse. We never knew he was such a good player!

Toby:他是一匹黑马,我们从来不知道他是这么优秀的选手!

Keith: Yeah. He hardly talks to anyone.

Keith:是啊,他没对任何人讲过。

Toby: I think he can even win the state finals.

Toby:我认为他甚至能赢得最后的比赛。

分享到