(单词翻译:单击)
Yang Li: So Derm, what's your favourite food? 圣保罗,你最喜欢吃的食物是什么?
Diarmuid: Hmmm, Pizza. 嗯,匹萨。
Yang Li: Nice. Do you eat it often? 很不错。你经常吃吗?
Diarmuid: Oh, as often as possible Li. 哦,我经常吃的。
Yang Li: But do you know how to make it, where to find the best ingredients for it, where the best place to eat it is, and the history of the dish? 但是你知道怎么做,在哪里能找到制作材料,哪里能吃到最好的匹萨,还有有关它的历史吗?
Diarmuid: Well I... no, I can't say I know that much. 嗯,我……,不,我不是很清楚。
Yang Li: Well, in that case, you're not a foodie. 嗯,如果你都知道的话,你就是美食家了。
Diarmuid: I suppose you're right. A foodie, F.O.O.D.I.E. is a person who not only enjoys eating food, but is also fascinated by everything about it. 我想你是对的。一个美食家,是不仅喜欢吃,而且对于有关食物的其它的东西也应该很清楚。
Yang Li: 今天的地道英语单词就 foodie,这个词用来表示一个热爱并精通食品的人——比如去哪家餐馆能吃到最佳特色菜,还有做某道菜所需要的最好配料,甚至连某道菜的来历都了如指掌。
Diarmuid: Are you a foodie Li? 李,你是美食家吗?
Yang Li: Well I do love food—don't we all? But I wouldn't say I'm a foodie. 只有在一个人把食品作为一种专长的时候才可以被形容为一位美食家 a foodie. 嗯,我的确喜欢食物——我们不都喜欢吗?但是我不能说我是一个美食家。
Diarmuid: Listen to this person talking about food—you could say he is a foodie. 来听这个人阐述食物,你可以称他是美食家。
Example:
A: I finally booked a table at the new Spanish restaurant. There's a three-month waiting list, you know. 最终我在新西班牙餐馆定了一张餐桌。你知道的,要提前三个月预约的。
B: Really? You have to wait three months? 真的吗?你等了三个月?
A: Yes, but I really have to go there. It's run by this amazing chef who creates wonderful organic sauces. He used to work in a famous French restaurant, but has just opened his own place. I can't wait. 是的,但是我不能不到那儿去。那是由一个了不起的用有机调味汁调制的食物。他常常在有名的法式餐厅里工作,但是刚刚开了属于自己的店。我等不及了。
B: Well, enjoy it! 嗯,好好享受吧!
Yang Li: (To listeners) 收音机前的听众朋友,你是不是一位美食家呢?Are you a foodie? 你是个美食家?
Diarmuid: Or do you just love food? 还是仅仅喜欢食物?
Yang Li: 说到美味佳肴嘛,我们大家都喜欢,不过你是不是愿意作出额外的努力去研究菜谱?
Diarmuid: You know what Li? I might not be a foodie, but all this talk of food is making me... 李,你知道什么?我可能不是一个美食家,但是我们说这些让我觉得……
Yang Li: Hungry? 饿了吗?
Diarmuid: Oh yes. Lunch! 哦,是的,午餐!