(单词翻译:单击)
William: Watch out, he is going to jump the gun again…
看,他又要抢跑了。
Yang Li: You don't know that yet, so don't you jump the gun.
你还不知道他是否抢跑,别着急。
William: Look, what did I say? He did jump the gun. It will have to start all over again now.
看,我说什么来着?他确实抢跑了。必须还得重新开始。
Yang Li: Yes, you are right. But could you just switch off the TV for two minutes please? It's time for Authentic Real English.
你说得对。但是你能将电视关掉一会儿吗?到地道英语节目了。
William: Oh yes. Authentic Real English from bbcukchina.com. Hi, I am William Kremer.
Yang Li: 大家好我是杨莉。今天我们要学的短语是 to jump the gun, 最初来自体育比赛,意思是抢跑,抢跳。
William: Yes. It's a phrase that people might use when they are talking about a race, like a swimming race.
当人们谈论比赛时会用到的短语,比如游泳比赛。
----------------
Example
Woman 1: The 100-metre freestyle was exciting. However, nearly every time someone jumped the gun.
一百米自由泳很令人激动,尽管如此,几乎每次都有人抢跳。
Woman 2: Oh, that's a bit disappointing. But you enjoyed it, did you?
那有点令人失望。但是你很喜欢看游泳比赛,不是吗?
Woman 1: Oh yes, it's my favourite sport.
是的,那是我最喜欢得运动。
William: If someone jumps the gun, it means that they start too soon, before the starting signal.
如果有人抢跳,那意思就是他们开始得太快了,比赛信号没给就已经开始了。
Yang Li: Which can be quite frustrating for everyone including the audience.
那对于每个人来说包括观众都是很烦人的事。
William: More often nowadays, people use this phrase when someone says something or does something too soon, especially without thinking carefully about it.
如今更多的是,这个短语用来形容某人说东西或做事很匆忙,尤其是不加思考地做。
Yang Li: 你的意思是说,在没有弄清情况之前就抢先说话或行动,是吗?
William: Kind of. Let's hear some more examples.
Example:
Man: He shouted at me before I had time to explain, but later he apologised for jumping the gun.
在我解释前他就向我大吼,但是过后他又为操之过急而道歉。
Man 2: You know what happened to Dan, my friend?
我的朋友,你知道Dan发生了什么事吗?
Woman: Yes, how did he do in his job interview?
是的。工作面试他表现如何?
Man 2: What happened was that he was so sure that he would get the job that he quit his old job. Unfortunately, he really jumped the gun. He just found out yesterday he didn't get the job after all.
他过于自信能得到新工作于是辞去原来的工作。不幸的是,他操之过急了。昨天他才发现他没得到那份新工作。
----------------
Yang Li: 以上两个例子:一个是在没有听别人解释之前就大喊大叫。另一个是新工作没到手,就把老工作给辞了,这在汉语里就是操之过急或过早采取行动了。
William: It can be very embarrassing if you jump the gun. I did it once before but hopefully never again.
如果你操之过急是令人尴尬的事。我做过这样的傻事,但是希望以后不要再犯。
Yang Li: Well, I am too slow to jump the gun, so that's not a problem for me. But is there a phrase for that in English, Will?
我做事太慢不会操之过急,那对我来说不是问题。但是有形容这样状况的短语吗?
William: Well, yes, there is, but I don't think I'm going to tell you.
有。但是我想我不会告诉你。
Yang Li: Oh, please, tell me…
William: No, no.
Yang Li: Oh, please.
William: Maybe, next time?
Yang Li: Are you not going to tell me?
William: No, I am not going to tell you.
Yang Li: I've got this gun… I am going to gun you down if you don't…
我有枪,如果你不告诉我,我会毙了你。
William: No… no.
Yang Li: Are you going to or not? Yes or no?
William: No.