与衣服相关的5句地道英语表达(图)
日期:2010-05-24 13:57

(单词翻译:单击)

1. Dress to Kill = wear one‘s finest clothing
衣服漂亮得电死人。

  
范例短文:

The reception for the new ambassador was quite lavish. Naturally, everybody was dressed to kill. Since it was a formal occasion, everyone was dressed in their finiest, most elegant clothes.
欢迎新大使的招待会很豪华。自然,每个人的衣服都漂亮得电死人。因为这是个正式场合,大家都穿着最好最体面的衣服。


  
2. Knock Someone‘s Socks Off = enthuse and excite
让人兴奋得连袜子都掉了。

  
范例对话:

A:Hi, John. What‘s new?
嗨,约翰, 怎么样?
B: Oh, nothing too much with me, but you ought to see Nick‘s new car. It‘ll knock your socks off! 
哦, 还那样.不过你真该看看尼克的新车. 那车真带劲!


  
3. Lose One‘s Shirt = lose a great deal of money
连衬衫都输掉了,表示输了很多钱。

  
范例对话:

A: I happened to bump into Doug at lunch yesterday afternoon.
昨天中午我碰上道格了.
B: What‘s new with Doug these days?
他怎么样?
A: He wasn‘t doing so well. For one thing, he told me he lost his shirt at the races.
不太好.有件事,他告诉我马赛上输了很多钱.
B: Doug has always liked to bet on the horses. I‘m not surprised that he lost a great deal of money.
他喜欢赌马.说他输了大钱我一点都不奇怪.  


  
4. Wet Blanket = dull or boring person who spoils the happiness of others
盖湿毯子当然不舒服,象湿毯子一样的人,一定是令人厌烦、倒人胃口的人。

  
范例短文:


James was not invited to go on the outing with the rest of the group because he‘s such a wet blanket.
詹姆士没被同组的人邀请出游,因为他是个倒人胃口的人.


  
5. Dress to the Teeth = dressed elegantly
跟中国成语武装到牙齿有异曲同工之妙,表示某人费尽心机着装打扮。

  
范例对话:

A: Did you see Hilda at the party last night?
昨天的晚会上看见希尔达了吗?
B: Yes, I did. She was really dressed to the teeth!
看见了.精心打扮得都到牙齿了.

分享到
重点单词
  • lavishadj. 大方的,丰富的,浪费的 vt. 浪费,慷慨给予
  • outingn. 郊游,远足,外出
  • boringadj. 令人厌烦的
  • elegantadj. 优雅的,精美的,俊美的
  • blanketn. 毛毯,覆盖物,排字版 vt. 用毯子裹,扑灭,挡风
  • dulladj. 呆滞的,迟钝的,无趣的,钝的,暗的 v. 变钝