(单词翻译:单击)
They've offered me the job, so the ball's in my court now. 他们已答应把那份工作给我,下一步就看我怎么办了.
the ball is in your/somebody's court: it is your/somebody's responsibility to take action next (球已经丢给你了)下一步就看你的了
Don't stop me now─I'm on a roll! 现在别阻止我 我正鸿运当头呢!
be on a roll:to be experiencing a period of success at what you are doing 连连获胜;连续交好运
It was a joke, of course, but five million Americans were amused enough to pay five dollars a piece for the rocks. And the man who dreamed up the idea really made a killing.
当然销售宠物石头是个逗乐的笑话,但是有五百万美国人竟然给逗得乐于花钱去买五美元一个的宠物石头.而那忽发奇想的人也着着实实赚了一大笔.
make a killing: to make a lot of money quickly 发大财;获取暴利;财运亨通
The President is unlikely to cave in to demands for a public inquiry. 总统未必会同意进行公开调查.
cave in (to something):to finally do what somebody wants after you have been strongly opposing them 让步;屈服;屈从
She has always craved excitement. 她总盼着得到刺激.
crave:to have a very strong desire for something 渴望;热望
The film studio is being accused of cashing in on the singer's death. 那家电影制片厂受到指责,说他们利用这位歌手的死来赚钱.
cash in (on something): to gain an advantage for yourself from a situation, especially in a way that other people think is wrong or immoral 从中牟利;捞到好处
I tried to get my life back on track after my divorce. 离婚之后我力图使生活恢复正常.
back on track:going in the right direction again after a mistake, failure, etc. 重新步入正确轨道;恢复正常