(单词翻译:单击)
I'm sorry,but I have an emergency to attend to.
不好意思,我有个急事要处理.
emergency就是我们中文里所说的"突发事件,紧急状况".而"attend to"就是"处理,对付"的意思.相同的表达还有:
I have some urgent business to attend to.
我有一些急事要处理.
I really don't enjoy that kind of activity.
我不喜欢那样的活动.
在拒绝别人邀请的时候,直接一点也未免不是一件坏事,毕竟找借口对于一些人来说也不是那么简单的.这么一句"I really don't enjoy that kind of activity",就达到了目的,何乐而不为呢?
I can't at that time,but I'm happy to help you with something else later.
这会儿我帮不上忙,不过以后有事我很愿意帮你.
至于以后有事你真的会不会帮忙,这就不得而知了.但是至少这么句话一说,别人听了舒服.
I'm afraid I'm committed to something else.
我有别的事情要做.
"commit"词一出,就会让人感觉你在全心全意地工作着(give all your time and effort to your work).那么这时谁还敢打扰你呢?
I'm sure you will do fine on your own.
我相信你自己可以做好的.
"on one's own"就是"独立,自主"的意思.比如:
I can't carry it on my own; it's too heavy.
我无法独自携带它,太重了.
Sorry but that isn't my strong suit.
不好意思,那个不是我的强项.
在英语中呢,sb's strong suit就是指某人的特长,优势:A field in which, or task at which, one is quite capable.
I'm trying to focus on finishing off some other things.
我正忙着处理一些其他的事情呢.
focus on sth/doing sth就是集中注意力做某事的意思.
finish off sth的意思就是"完成,做最后加工"
to do the last part of something; to make something end by doing one last thing
I need about an hour to finish off this report.
我需要一小时左右结束这篇报告.
They finished off the show with one of their most famous songs.
他们用自己的一首最著名的歌曲作演出的压台戏.
Unfortunately,I've had a few things come up.
不好意思,我手头有一些事情要处理.
come up就是"发生"的意思(to happen)
I'm afraid something urgent has come up.
恐怕有紧急事情发生.
We'll let you know if any vacancies come up.
一有空缺,我们就会通知你.
I can't right now,but maybe later.
我现在办不了,可能过几天吧.