剑桥雅思13真题听力 第5期:Test1(section3-1)
日期:2018-07-03 14:37

(单词翻译:单击)

We've got to choose a topic for our experiment, haven't we, Jack?
我们需要为我们的实验选一个主题,是吧,Jack?
Were you thinking of something to do with seeds?
你考虑过做和种子有关的实验吗?
That's right. I thought we could look at seed germination — how a seed begins to grow.
对的。我觉得我们可以考虑一下种子萌芽--种子是如何开始生长的。
OK. Any particular reason?
好的。有什么特定的原因吗?
I know you're hoping to work in plant science eventually …
我知道你想要今后从事植物科学方面的研究...
Yeah, but practically everything we do is going to feed into that.
是的,但是实际上,我们做的所有事情都可以满足。
No, there's an optional module on seed structure and function in the third year that I might do,
不,第三年有一门关于种子结构和功能选修课,我可能会选这门课,
so I thought it might be useful for that.
所以我觉得它可能会有用。
If I choose that option, I don't have to do a dissertation module. Good idea.
如果我选择了那门课的话,我就不用再做学位论文了。好主意。
Well, I thought for this experiment we could look at the relationship between seed size and the way the seeds are planted.
好的,我觉得就这个实验而言,我们可以试一下种子大小和种植方式之间的关系。
So, we could plant different sized seeds in different ways, and see which grow best.
所以,我们可以用不同的方式种植不同大小的种子,然后看看哪种长得最好。
OK. We'd need to allow time for the seeds to come up.
好的。我们需要预留时间让种子生长。
That should be fine if we start now.
如果我们现在开始的话,应该是可以的。
A lot of the other possible experiments need quite a bit longer.
其他可以做的实验可能需要花稍微多一点的时间。
So that'd make it a good one to choose.
所以选那个主题的话,可能会比较好。
And I don't suppose it'd need much equipment; we're not doing chemical analysis or anything.
我不觉得这个实验需要很多仪器;毕竟我们并不是在做化学分析这种事情。
Though that's not really an issue, we've got plenty of equipment in the laboratory.
虽然那并不是什么大问题,但是我们在实验室里有很多实验设备。
Yeah. We need to have a word with the tutor if we're going to go ahead with it though.
是的。但我们需要和导师聊聊,如果我们想要继续这么做的话。
I'm sure our aim's OK.
我很确定我们的目标是很不错的。
It's not very ambitious but the assignment's only ten percent of our final mark, isn't it?
这个目标并不是很难达成,但是这个作业只在我们的最终成绩中占十分之一,是吧?
But we need to be sure we're the only ones doing it.
但是我们要确保我们是唯一一组这么做的。
Yeah, it's only five percent actually, but it'd be a bit boring if everyone was doing it.
对,其实只占百分之五,但是如果其他每个人也做这个的话,那就有点无聊了。
Did you read that book on seed germination on our reading list?
你读过我们书单里面的关于种子萌芽的那本书吗?
The one by Graves? I looked through it for my last experiment, though it wasn't all that relevant here.
Graves写的那本吗?上次实验的时候我大概浏览了一下,尽管和实验不是特别相关。
It would be for this experiment, though.
但是和这个实验是有关系的。
I found it quite hard to follow-lots about the theory, which I hadn't expected.
我觉得那本书挺难读下去的--很多理论,我根本没想过会这么多。
Yes, I'd been hoping for something more practical.
是的,我其实更期待一些更加实用的东西。
It does include references to the recent findings on genetically-modified seeds, though.
尽管里面确实包含一些转基因种子的新近研究发现。
Yes, that was interesting.
是,那还挺有趣的。
I read an article about seed germination by Lee Hall.
我读了一篇Lee Hall写的关于种子萌芽的文章。
About seeds that lie in the ground for ages and only germinate after a fire?
是那篇关于在地下藏了很多年,但是大火之后重新发芽的种子的吗?
That's the one. I knew a bit about it already, but not about this research.
对的,就是那一篇。我知道一些相关的东西,但是对这个研究了解不多。
His analysis of figures comparing the times of the fires and the proportion of seeds that germinated was done in a lot of detail -- very impressive.
他比较大火时间和种子发芽比例的数据分析做的非常详细--令人印象深刻。
Was that the article with the illustrations of early stages of plant development?
是里面有植物发展早期的图表的那篇吗?
They were very clear.
它们非常的清楚。
I think those diagrams were in another article.
我觉得那些图表应该是在另一篇文章里的。

分享到