(单词翻译:单击)
OK, Stewart. We need to start planning our paper on public libraries.
Stewart,我们得开始计划关于公共图书馆的论文了。
Have you thought of an angle yet?
你想到从哪个角度写了吗?
Well, there's so much we could look into.
嗯,有很多可以着手的东西。
How libraries have changed over the centuries, for instance, or how different countries organise them.
比如图书馆在过去的世纪里是如何变迁的,或者各个国家对它们的组织有何不同。
What do you think, Trudie?
你觉得怎么样,Trudie.
Maybe we should concentrate on this country, and try and relate the changes in libraries to external developments,
也许我们应该聚焦于这个国家,试着把图书馆的变化与外部发展情况联系起来,
like the fact that far more people can read than a century ago, and that the local population may speak lots of different languages.
比如相较于100年前现在有更多的人识字和当地的人可能说着很多不同语言的事实。
We could include something about changes in the source of funding, too.
我们也可以纳入一些有关图书馆资金来源变化的东西。
Yes, but remember we're only supposed to write a short paper, so it's probably best if we don't go into funding in any detail.
是的,但要记住我们要写的是一篇短论文,所以在资金方面最好不要有任何详述。
Right. Well, shall we just brainstorm a few ideas, to get started?
嗯。我们现在开始对几个想法头脑风暴一下就开始好吗?
OK. We obviously need to look at the impact of new technology, particularly the internet.
好的,很明显我们需要考虑新技术,尤其是互联网的影响。
Now that lots of books have been digitalised, people can access them from their own computers at home.
因为很多书籍都已经数字化了,所以人们在家通过自己的电脑就能读到它们。
And if everyone did that, libraries would be obsolete.
如果所有人都那样,图书馆就要被淘汰了。
Yes. But the digitalised books that are available online for free are mostly out of copyright, aren't they?
是的。但那些可以在网上找到的数字化的书大多都是版权过期了的,是不是?
And copyright in this country lasts for 70 years after the author dies.
在这个国家,版权在作者死后可持续70年。
So you won't find the latest best-seller or up-to-date information. That's an important point.
所以,你不会在网上找到最近的畅销书或者最新的信息。这一点很重要。
Anyway, I find it hard to concentrate when I'm reading a long text on a screen.
不管怎么样,我发现我在屏幕上看一段长文本时很难集中注意力。
I'd much rather read a physical book. And it takes longer to read on a screen.
我宁愿看实体书,而且在屏幕上看书要花更长时间。
Oh, I prefer it. I suppose it's just a personal preference.
啊,我更喜欢在屏幕上看书,我想这只是个人偏好问题。
Mm. I expect that libraries will go on evolving in the next few years.
嗯,我预计在接下来的几年里图书馆将继续演变。
Some have already become centres where community activities take place, like local clubs meeting there.
有的图书馆已经变成开展社区活动的中心了,就像是本地社团聚会一样。
I think that'll become even more common.
我认为这会变得更加普遍。
I'd like to think so, and that they're still be serving their traditional function, but I'm not so sure.
我认同,同时它们仍然会发挥自己的传统功能,不过我不是很确定。
There are financial implications, after all.
毕竟还有财务方面的考量。
What I'm afraid will happen is that books and magazines will all disappear, and there'll just be rows and rows of computers.
我害怕发生的是书籍和杂志都会消失,只剩下一排排的电脑。
They won't look anything like the libraries we're used to.
那样的话它们就丝毫不像我们所习惯的图书馆了。
Well, we'll see.
嗯,我们再看看吧。