胡敏读故事记单词雅思词汇第25课:The commercial life商业生活
日期:2016-06-25 14:00

(单词翻译:单击)

胡敏读故事记单词雅思词汇

column-comparable The commercial life

商业生活

"Well folks, commerce for the day has commenced

"各位,今天的商业节 目现在开始,

and I am sure we are in for a great day of commodity trading.

我敢肯定今天是个商品 交易的好日子.

Other commuters are lined in columns along the highway,

其他乘公交车辆上下班 的人现在正在高速公路 边、

at the rail station and on bus.

火车站和汽车上排着长 队.

It is a wonder that the comedy of this life escape us.

真不敢相信,这种生活 的喜剧居然没有引起我 们的注意,

But it would take a comet striking the earth

"那得要有彗星撞地球 那样的事情发生

to shake us from our comic and absurd ways.

要想让我们摆脱滑稽而 荒唐的生活方式.

At he commentator

在新闻评论员

continued his running commentary about the day's events,

继续滔滔不绝地对当天 发生的事件进行评论的 时候,

Beth and Lisa simply frowned.

贝思和丽莎只是皱着 眉头.

"I hate that guy." Said Beth.

"我讨厌那个家伙." 贝思说

"He's always so smug as he commits thought into our heads

"他总是将他的观点强 加给我们,这时他还总 是那么自鸣得意

whether we like them or not.

不管我们喜欢不喜欢."

I have even heard

我甚至听说,

that he gets a bigger commission whenever people complain.

只要有人投诉.他拿的 佣金就更多.

It's like there is this committee out there trying to remind us about

好像有那么个委员会 在那儿试图提醒我们

the combustibility of our commercial life style.

商业生活方式的易激 动性.

I know it' s not natural:living in steel buildings,

知道这种生活方式不自 然:住在钢铁建筑中、

wearing the same suits, driving the same cars day after day.

穿同样的衣服、日复一 日开同样的汽车.

But is no comparable alternative.

可是我们没有类似的 其他选择.

I don't want to go back to living in some cave.

我可不想回去住在某 个洞里!

You can commemorate at my grave if anyone ever forces me to do that!

要是有人硬逼我这样, 你就到我的坟前纪念 我吧."

"Yeah,but his commitment and telling the truth are honorable!

"你说得对,但是他的 全心投入和实话实说是 值得尊敬的!

I like his command of the English language:

我喜欢他的英语运用能 力:

He speaks so well!I mean think of it! He's right;

他说得真棒!我是说, 想想吧!他是对的,

everything we do is about surviving in the economic structure that has been forced on us.

我们做的每件事都是在 强加给我们的经济 结构中求生存.

I bet if we combined all of the money traded here in one day

我敢打赌,如果把这里 一天的交易额合起来,

we could cure cancer and do away with poverty!" Responded Lisa.

我们就能治愈癌症和消 灭贫困."丽莎回答说.

"Lisa!I never knew you!" Said Beth with a frown

"丽莎,我太不了解你 啦!"贝思皱着眉头说,

as she sat down in her cubicle

她在小隔间坐了下来,

that was indentical to that of every other person in the office.

办公室其他人的小 隔问都跟她的一样.



分享到
重点单词
  • commodityn. 商品,日用品
  • commercialadj. 商业的 n. 商业广告
  • comedyn. 喜剧,滑稽,幽默事件
  • commutern. 通勤者,每日往返上班者
  • graven. 坟墓,墓穴 adj. 严肃的,严重的,庄重的
  • comparableadj. 可比较的,比得上的
  • complainvi. 抱怨,悲叹,控诉
  • honorableadj. 光荣的,可敬的,尊敬的 =honourable
  • cubiclen. 寝室,小卧室
  • absurdadj. 荒唐的 n. 荒唐