(单词翻译:单击)
Animal testing
动物实验
"It was always my ambition to be a research analyst
"我那时的抱负一直是 做研究分析员.
studying amphibian anatomy for the benefit of mankind."
研究两栖动物解剖. 造福人类."
Said Dr.Cull to the high school students touring the laboratory.
卡尔博士对前来参观实 验室的高中生们说.
"My ancestors were all scientists and my father taught me
"我的祖先们都是科学 家.我父亲教导我说.
that it is simply amazing
真的很惊人
to appreciate all of the anatomical detail in each creature.
欣赏每种生物的所有 结构细节
There is nothing amorphous about them.
这些结构细节没有任 何不规则之处.
I also hope that through my research
我也希望通过我的研究
we can understand the impacts of our society on these creatures
让大家明白社会对这些 生物的影响.
so that we can know how to ameliorate environmental problems
这样我们就可以改 善环境问题.
and amend our wrongs.
改正我们的过错.
Frogs for example. are an indicator of environmental pollution"
比如说青蛙就是一种环 境污染的指示生物."
"You are very ambitious.Dr.Cull."
"您可真是雄心勃勃. 卡尔博士."
A bright. amber-haired girl said.
一名头发呈琥珀色的 聪明女生说道.
"So you are looking for analogies between animals and humans?"
"那么您正在寻找人和 动物之间的相似之处 喽?"
"Yes and there are already ample findings amid the analogues we already have.
"是的.在我们已有的 相似物中已经有大量发 现了.
We know much about how anesthetics work.
我们对麻醉剂如何起作 用已经有了很深入的了 解.
for example based on clinical trials with rats."
比如说.根据在老鼠身 上进行的临床实验."
"Ooowww I disagree with using animals for tests!"
"啊啊.......我可不 同意用动物做实验!"
Another student suddenly said.
另一名学生突然说道.
"Some people think
"有些人认为
that the ethics of using animals for testing are fairly ambiguous.
用动物做实验的道德准 则是相当模棱两可的.
But the amount of knowledge we have amassed about health.
但是我们通过实验积累 的有关健康、
vaccines antibiotics etc is incredible.
疫苗、抗生素等方面的 知识量却是惊人的.
Many of your daily amenities are based on results from animal research.
我们日常生活中很多可 供享受的东西都是以动 物研究为基础的.
There is really nothing amateurish or careless about animal testing."
动物实验可不是外行或 者粗心的人能做的事 情."
Replied the Doctor.
博士回答道.
"But I've seen videos of the amateur conditions in different research facilities and things look pretty bad for animals."
多东西都很不专业 "可我看过一些录像带. 不同的研究设施中有许 动物的状况看上去 很糟糕."
Interjected yet another high school student.
又一名高中生插话道.
"I see we've hit on an interesting topic.
"看来我们触及到了一 个有趣的话题.
Let's step into this conference room and discuss this further."
那就进会议室做进一 步的讨论吧."