(单词翻译:单击)
Moving to Canada meant making some big adjustments to my life.
到加拿大读书,意味着我的人生要做一些很大的调整。
Although I knew everybody has to leave their nest at some point,
虽然我知道每个人到了一定的时候都得离开家,
leaving my family was the hardest part, and some people cannot handle being away from home.
但对我而言,离开家是最痛苦的一个过程;还有些人离开家以后甚至不知所措。
To help myself adjust, I set up e-mail addresses for my mum and dad so that I could e-mail them regularly.
为使自己调整,我帮妈妈和爸爸申请了邮箱地址,这样我就能定期给他们写邮件。
However, during my first year at university,
然而,在我上大学的第一年,
I was so busy studying and meeting new people that I did not write to my family as often as I should have.
我忙于学习和交新朋友,每当我要写信时,我都没有给家人写信。
When I went home for the holidays, I felt a bit like a lost son returning.
我回国度假时,我感觉有点像回家的浪子。
Another big change was the food.
另一个大变化就是食物。
When I first came to Canada, I found the food a bit strange.
我起初来加拿大时,我发现食物有点奇怪。
I did not like eating so much meat or food that had been fried.
我不喜欢吃很多油炸的肉和食物。
Now I am getting used to Canadian food, and believe it or not, my new favourite food is pepper steak.
现在我已慢慢适应加拿大食物,信不信由你,最近我最喜欢的食物是青椒牛排。
Before I left home, my mother showed me how to use a stove and a rice cooker,
在我离开家之前,我母亲教我如何用电炉和电饭煲,
and she taught me how to cook some simple dishes such as noodles, fried bean curd and garlic with vegetables.
她还教我做一些简单的菜,诸如面条,油豆腐和蔬菜炒大蒜。
Now, whenever I want to eat Chinese food, I can cook for myself, though usually I do all of my cooking in the microwave.
现在每当我想吃中国食物时,我会自己做,虽然我经常是用微波炉做饭。