(单词翻译:单击)
Conversation 2
对话2
How did your annual performance evaluation meeting with your manager go?
你和经理的年度绩效评估会议开得怎么样?
Did you get much in the way of praise?
你得到了很多赞美吗?
Next to zero.
接近零。
When we came to the part about discussing my areas for growth, he bluntly told me that I had an attitude problem.
当我们讨论到我的成长领域时,他直截了当地告诉我,我的态度有问题。
But he wouldn't really expand on that description.
但他并没有详细描述。
He said it's the little things I do and say.
他说是和我做过和说过的小事有关。
Did you ask him for a specific example?
你问过他具体的例子吗?
I did ask him a few more questions to try and narrow it down.
我又问了他几个问题试图缩小范围。
He said my constant questioning of him and his decisions was the most obvious example he could give.
他说,他能给出的最明显的例子是,我一直质疑他和他的决定。
Then our conversation was swiftly brought to a close.
然后我们的谈话很快就结束了。
I had a similar experience once.
我曾经有过类似的经历。
My manager told me I was too honest.
经理说我太诚实了。
In most cases, I thought my honesty was helpful as did my colleagues, but my manager thought otherwise.
在大多数情况下,我认为我的诚实和我的同事一样有帮助,但我的经理却不这么认为。
Some managers really adopt manipulative language to disguise the unreasonable choices they have made.
有些管理者真的会用操纵性的语言来掩盖他们做出的不合理的选择。
They don't use the rational power of arguments to resolve issues of conflict or complaints about unfairness.
他们不使用理性的辩论力量来解决冲突问题或对不公平的抱怨。
Right.
没错。
Some employ their persuasive vocabulary——an influential communication style to win workplace arguments by compelling people to perform the intended action.
一些人运用他们的说服性词汇——一种有影响力的沟通方式,通过迫使人们执行预期的行动来赢得职场争论。
Exactly.
完全正确。
Too honest isn't that a good thing.
太诚实不是一件好事。
I thought that's surely something we should have covered earlier in the section discussing strengths and talents.
我想这肯定是本该包含在之前讨论优势和才能的内容。
But no.
但是没有。
Honesty was deemed to be more of a sin than a virtue since it made people feel uncomfortable or at least it made the most powerful folks feel uncomfortable.
诚实被认为是一种罪恶而不是美德,因为它让人们感到不舒服,至少它让最有权势的人感到不舒服。
Indeed.
确实。
Rhetoric is viewed by many philosophers as the method through which the powerful accumulate more power.
修辞学被许多哲学家视为强者积累更多权力的方法。
By virtue of having the loudest voice they're able to command greater attention and to further assert their dominance even when what they're saying doesn't really make much sense.
因为拥有最响亮的声音,他们能够获得更多的关注,并进一步维护他们的统治地位,即使他们所说的并不真正有意义。
And retaining their power and prestige is their priority.
保持他们的权力和威望是他们的首要任务。
It's what makes the most sense to a lot of them.
这对他们来说是最有意义的。
Questions 5 to 8 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
请根据你刚刚听到的对话回答5 - 8题。
Question 5: What was the manager's reason for giving little praise for the man's performance?
问题5:经理很少表扬男士表现的原因是什么?
Question 6: What does the woman say about some managers?
问题6:关于某些经理,女士说了什么?
Question 7: According to the woman, what do some managers think of honesty?
问题7:根据这位女士的说法,某些经理对诚实的看法是什么?
Question 8: What does the woman think is a priority of many managers?
问题8:这位女士认为许多经理的首要任务是什么?
