1. As usual, he put on a show as though his trip______ a great success.
A. had been B. has been C. were D. was
2. Looking round the town, he felt as though he ______ away for ages.
A. has been B. was C. is D. had been
3. John is so strongly built that he looks as if he ______ as elephant.
A. lifts B. is lifting C. lifted D. could lift
4. He described the town as if he ______ it himself.
A. had seen B. has seen C. saw D. sees
5. Most insurance agents would rather you______ anything about collecting claims until they investigate the situation.
A. do B. don’t C. didn’t D. didn’t do
解析：(D)would rather后接从句要求用虚拟语气，形式为过去式，表示对现在或将来的假设，或为过去完成式表示对过去的情况的假设。6. Although most adopted persons want the right to know who their natural parents are, some who have found them wish that they ______ the experience of meeting.
A. hadn’t B. didn’t have had C. hadn’t had D. hadn’t have
7. Without electronic computers, much of today’s advanced technology ______ .
A. will not have been achieved B. have not been achieved
C. would not have been achieved D. had not been achieved
解析：(C)这是一人含蓄虚拟条件句，通过介词短语without,表示潜在的一种假设，而主句中的情况也早已经发生，所以是对过去情况的一种假设，因此用would not have been achieved这一形式。
8. He told her to return the book in time so that others ______ a chance to read it .
A. may have B. will have C. would have D. might have
9. It is time that the government ______ measures to protect the rare birds and animals.
A. takes B. took C. has taken D. taking
解析：(B)It is time that是一种要求从句用虚拟语气的常见句型。虚拟语气形式为动词的过去式。
10. He was very busy yesterday, otherwise he ______ to the meeting.
A. would come B. came C. would have come D. had come
解析：(C)otherwise用来表示一种含蓄的虚拟假设，因为是对过去(yesterday)的情况的假设，所以应该用would have come形式。