Part I Writing
21st century has brought with it an unprecedented variety of recreational activities ranging from traditional outdoor activities such as playing ball games to all kinds of online ones, the latter of which is a great appeal to the young generation. So I’d like to narrow my topic down to online recreational activities.
It goes without saying that various activities brought by modern technology have greatly broadened our horizon and brought much excitement to us. With access to the Internet, you can get to know people from any country in the world and you can talk with them, play games with them --- a temptation very hard to resist, and even see them via web cam. The disadvantage, however, is that anyone who lacks self-control would very easily get lost and become addicted to the online world, which in turn might seriously affect their life, work and interpersonal relationships.
As a college student, I think what really matters is to make better choice and exert more discipline. We’d better take advantage of good online recreational activities to enrich our lives and broaden the scope of knowledge. When it comes to those addictive, time-consuming and less meaningful activities, I think to stay away from them is a wise decision.
With the development of living standard, people spend more time on various forms of recreational activities. People can do sports, singing karaoke, go dancing, go to the movies, play video games or online games, or surf the Internet.
Recreational activities are good to people’s health, both physically and mentally. Sports and dancing can keep people fit. Singing karaoke, playing video games or online games can satisfy people’s imagination. Surfing the Internet can bring people a lot of information and knowledge.
However, recreational activities might be harmful if people are addicted. Spending too much time on recreational activities will seriously influence people’s normal lives, especially work and study. Therefore, people will benefit from recreational activities only if they take part in them properly.
Part II Reading Comprehension (Skimming and Scanning)
1. B) it has large audiences
2. A) the number of TV ads people can see has increased
3. C) convey more detailed messages
4. D) it provides easy access to consumers
5. A) reach target audiences
6. C) consumers travel more now than ever before
7. B) easy to remember
8. quite homogeneous, but small.
9. relationships with consumers
10. the proper media
Part III Listening Comprehension
11. C) Give his ankle a good rest.
12. A) In a theater.
13. B) A tragic accident.
14. D) Focus on the main points of her lectures.
15. B) The woman split coffee on the man’s skirt.
16. C) Hard to understand.
17. B) Attending every lecture.
18. D) The new TV program may not provide anything better.
19. D) The description of a thief in disguise.
20. A) Showing them his ID.
21. B) Not to let anyone in without an appointment.
22. D) The pension she had just drawn was stolen.
23. C) Marketing consultancy.
24. A) Being able to speak Japanese.
25. C) It will bring her potential into full play.
26. B) The lack of time.
27. D) They were just as busy as people of today.
28. C) To find effective ways to give employees flexibility.
29. A) The Great Depression.
30. D) His second wife’s positive influence.
31. A) Love breeds love.
32. C) Its owner died of a heart stroke.
33. B) Putting up a Going Out of Business sing.
34. D) Developing fresh business opportunities.
35. C) Owning the greenhouse one day.
44) will be making decisions in such areas as product development, quality control, and customer satisfaction.
45) to acquire new skills that will help you keep up with improved technologies and procedures
46) Don't expect the companies to provide you with a clearly-defined career path.
Part IV. Reading Comprehension (Reading in depth)
47. L) claim
48. H) limited
49. A) totally
50. I) interviews
51. C) regret
52. F) moments
53. N) advanced
54. B) scary
55. M) balloon
56. O) accomplish
57. D) People’s personal information is easily accessed without their knowledge.
58. A) There should be a distance even between friends.
59. C) People leave traces around when using modern technology.
60. A) They talk a lot but hardly do anything about it.
61. D) People don’t cherish it until they lost it.
62. B) Very little will be done to bring it under control.
63. A) It is a problem that can be solved once it is recognized.
64. B) economic growth.
65. C) few nations have adopted real tough measures to limit energy use.
66. D) The ultimate solution to global warming lies in new technology.
Part V. Cloze
67. C) at
68. B) varies
69. D) prospect
70. C) possess
72. B) But
73. B) essential
74. A) touch
75. D) acquire
76. C) profession
77. A) only
78. B) with
79. D) encourage
80. A) interests
81. C) broaden
82. D) After
83. B) sake
84. C) make
85. A) field
86. D) meaningful
Part VI Translation
87. Our efforts will pay if the results of the research can be applied to the research and development of new technology (能应用于新技术的开发).
88. I can’t boot my computer now. Something must be wrong (一定出了毛病) with its operating system.
89. Leaving one’s job, no matter what job it is / whatever job it is (无论是什么工作), is a difficult change, even for those who look forward to retiring.
90. Compared with the place where I grew up (与我成长的地方相比), this town is more prosperous and exciting.
91. Not until he had finished the mission (直到他完成使命) did he realize that he was seriously ill.