(单词翻译:单击)
Man: Good afternoon. It is time for Face to Face. This week, Sonia Kay talks to Jim O'Brien.
男:下午好,欢迎收听面对面节目 。本周,索尼娅·凯将访问吉姆·奥布莱恩 。
Woman: Jim O'Brien heads the UK division of American PC company Hacker.
女:吉姆·奥布莱恩是美国电脑公司骇客英国分部的负责人 。
Mr O'Brien, thank you very much for sparing us a few minutes of your busy schedule.
奥布莱恩先生,非常感谢您百忙之中抽时间来参加我们的节目 。
Man: Hello. It's a pleasure. And please call me Jim.
男:你好 。我很高兴,叫我吉姆就行了 。
Woman: Well, Jim, can we start by going through a typical day for you?
女:吉姆,能先给我们讲讲你日常的一天工作吗?
Man: I usually get up at around 5am.
男:我通常早上5点左右起床 。
I drive in from my house to the office in London.
从家里开车到伦敦的办公室 。
I get very frustrated sitting in traffic jams so I leave early to beat the rush.
路上堵车时,我就会很沮丧 。所以我会早点离开,避开高峰 。
I enjoy driving in, it's nice to get away on my own.
我喜欢驾车,独自上路的感觉很好 。
Woman: That's certainly an early start!
女:真是很早啊!
Man: Yes, well, at 6.30am, I get into the office.
男:是的,早上六点半我就进办公室了 。
I use the time to get through my post and do the things that are difficult to do during the normal working day because of people wanting to see me.
我利用这段时间来弄邮件,再做一些在正常工作日很难处理的事情,因为那时候大家都在找我 。
Between the hours of 8 and 9 I take care of any European business which needs doing.
从八点到九点,我负责处理需要办的欧洲业务 。
Woman: What a schedule! Do you find it exhausting?
女:好紧的时间安排啊!你会觉得很累吗?
Man: Exhausting, no.
男:不累的 。
But, unfortunately most of my time is spent in meetings now, which doesn't really suit my type of personality.
但是很遗憾,我大部分时间都花在会议上了,这并不适合我的性格 。
I much prefer the hands-on approach -I would rather be out chatting to people than sitting in the boardroom preparing policies and strategies
我更喜欢采用实际操作的方法——我愿意到外面去和别人聊天,而不是坐在会议室筹备政策和战略
- but that is a luxury I can't afford.
——但这是我无法享受的乐趣啊 。