(单词翻译:单击)
Hello, I'm John Russell.
大家好,我是约翰·罗素
Imagine you are visiting the United States.
想象一下你正在美国旅游
Perhaps you see major cities like New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas.
也许你会看到像纽约、洛杉矶、拉斯维加斯这样的大城市
Perhaps you see places like Mount Rainier, Mount Rushmore, Central Park.
也许你会看到雷尼尔山、拉什莫尔山、中央公园这样的地方
In terms of pronunciation, there is something common to all of these place names.
就发音而言,所有这些地名都有一些共同之处
No, I'm not talking about vowels and consonants.
不,我不是在说元音和辅音
I'm talking about word stress: saying a word louder or in a higher pitch.
我说的是单词的重音:用更大的声音或更高的音调说一个单词
In previous pronunciation videos, we explored word stress in terms of phrasal nouns, phrasal verbs, even abbreviations.
在之前的发音视频中,我们探讨了名词短语、动词短语甚至缩写中的单词重音
But there are certain ways that Americans pronounce place names, too.
美国人也有一些地名的发音方式
In general, Americans place more stress on the last word of a place name.
一般来说,美国人更注重地名的最后一个字
What would happen if the stress were placed on the first word?
如果重音放在第一个单词上会怎么样?
It might sound something like this. New York New York
可能就像这样
Such a pronunciation might sound a little unusual or different to an American.
这样的发音对美国人来说可能听起来有点别扭或不同
But how does the place name sound when stress is placed on the last word? New York. New York.
但是,当重音放在最后一个单词时,地名听起来怎么样呢?纽约,纽约
Listen again to some famous American place names.
再听一遍美国的一些著名地名
Note how I stress the last word of the name.
注意我是如何重读名字的最后一个单词的
Los Angeles. las Vegas. Mount Rainier. Mount Rushmore. Central Park.
洛杉矶
That's all for today. Keep up the good work.
以上就是本期的全部内容,继续加油吧