(单词翻译:单击)
Sue look solicitously out of the window. What was there to count?
苏关切地看了看窗外
There was only a bare, dreary yard to be seen, and the blank side of the brick house twenty feet away.
只见一个空荡阴暗的院子,20英尺以外还有一所砖房的空墙
An old, old ivy vine, gnarled and decayed at the roots, climbed half way up the brick wall.
一棵老极了的长春藤,枯萎的根纠结在一块,枝干攀在砖墙的半腰上
The cold breath of autumn had stricken its leaves from the vine until its skeleton branches clung, almost bare, to the crumbling bricks.
秋天的寒风把藤上的叶子差不多全都吹掉了,几乎只有光秃的枝条还缠附在剥落的砖块上
"What is it, dear?" asked Sue.
“什么呀,亲爱的?”苏问道
"Six," said Johnsy, in almost a whisper. "They're falling faster now.
“6”,琼西几乎用耳语低声说道,“它们现在越落越快了,
Three days ago there were almost a hundred.
三天前还有差不多一百片
It made my head ache to count them.
我数得头都疼了,
But now it's easy. There goes another one. There are only five left now."
但是现在好数了
"Five what, dear? Tell your Sudie."
“五片什么呀,亲爱的
"Leaves. On the ivy vine. When the last one falls I must go, too.
“叶子
I've known that for three days. Didn't the doctor tell you?"
这件事我三天前就知道了
"Oh, I never heard of such nonsense," complained Sue, with magnificent scorn.
“哼,我从来没听过这种傻话,”苏十分不以为然地说,
"What have old ivy leaves to do with your getting well?
“那些破长春藤叶子和你的病好不好有什么关系?
And you used to love that vine so, you naughty girl.
你以前不是很喜欢这棵树吗?
Don't be a goosey. Why, the doctor told me this morning that your chances for getting well real soon were –
你这个淘气孩子
let's see exactly what he said - he said the chances were ten to one!
让我一字不改地照他的话说吧——他说有九成把握