(单词翻译:单击)
Intuition pumps are sometimes called thought experiments.
直觉泵有时被称为思想实验
More often, they're called thought experiments.
更多时候,它们被称为思想实验
But they're not really formal arguments.
但它们并不是正式的论点
Typically, they're stories. They're little fables.
通常情况下,它们是故事
In fact, I think they're similar to Aesop's fables in that they they're supposed to have a moral.
事实上,我认为它们比较像伊索寓言,因为它们都有一个寓意
They're supposed to teach us something.
它们应该教给我们一些东西
And what they do, is they lead the audience to an intuition, a conclusion, where you sort of pound your fist on the table and you say, "Oh yeah, it's gotta be that way, doesn't it?"
而它们所做的,就是引导观众得出一个直觉,一个结论,你会用拳头敲击桌子,说,"哦,是的,它一定是那样的,不是吗?"
And if it achieves that, then it's pumped the intuition that was designed to pump.
如果它实现了这一点,那么它就抽出了旨在抽出的直觉
These are persuasion machines.
这些是说服机
They're little persuasion machines that philosophers have been using for several thousand years.
它们是哲学家们已经使用了几千年的劝说小机器
One of my recent favorites, which I devised to jangle the nerves of neuroscientists who've been going around saying that neuroscience shows that we don't have free will.
我最近最喜欢的一个,是我设计的,用来刺激神经科学家的神经,他们一直在到处宣扬,神经科学表明我们没有自由意志
I think their reasons for saying that are ill-considered and moreover that what they're doing is apt to be mischievous and doing some real harm.
我认为他们这么说的理由欠缺考虑,而且他们所做的事情很可能是恶作剧,却会造成一些真正的伤害
So, I concocted a little thought experiment, a little intuition pump to suggest that.
所以,我炮制了一个小小的思想实验,一个小小的直觉泵来暗示这一点
So this is the case of the nefarious neurosurgeon, who treats a patient who has obsessive compulsive disorder by inserting a little microchip in his brain, which controls the OCD, the obsessive compulsive disorder.
这个案例跟一个邪恶的神经外科医生有关,她在一个强迫症患者的大脑中插入一个小芯片来治疗他,这个芯片可以控制OCD,也就是强迫症
Now, there is such a chip.
现在,有这样一种芯片
It's been developed in the Netherlands and it works really quite well.
它是在荷兰研发的,而且效果真的相当好
That's science fact, but now here comes science fiction.
刚才说的是科学事实,接下来就是科幻小说了
So the neurosurgeon, after she's operated on the guy, sewed him all up, say, "Okay, your OCD is under control now you'll be happy to learn, but moreover our team here will be monitoring you 24/7 and we're going to be controlling everything you do from now on.
这个神经外科医生,在她给这个患者做完手术,伤口缝合之后,说:"好了,很高兴地告诉你,现在你的强迫症得到了控制,但是,我们的团队将全天候监控你,从现在开始我们将控制你的一切行为
You will think you have free will.
你会以为你有自由意志
You'll think you're making your own decisions, but really you won't have free will at all.
你会以为是你自己在做决定,但实际上你根本就没有自由意志
Free will is an illusion that we will maintain while controlling you.
自由意志是一种幻觉,我们将在控制你的同时维持这种幻觉
Goodbye, have a nice life."
再见,祝你生活愉快
Sends him out the door. Well, he believes her.
然后就把他送出了门
She has a shiny lab and, you know, lots of degrees and diplomas and all that.
她有一个很棒的实验室,而且,你知道,有很多学位和文凭
So, what does he do? Well, he, thinking he doesn't have free will anymore, he gets a little self-indulgent, a little bit aggressive, little negligent in how he decides what to do.
那么,这位患者是怎么做的呢?嗯,他以为自己不再有自由意志,他变得有点自我放纵,有点咄咄逼人,有点疏忽决策
And pretty soon, by indulging some of his worst features, he's got himself in trouble with the law.
很快,由于放纵了自己人性中的恶,他惹上了法律麻烦
And he's arrested and he's put on trial.
他被逮捕,并被送上法庭
And at the trial he says, "But your honor, I don't have free will.
在审判中,他说:"但是法官大人,我没有自由意志
I'm under the control of the team at the neurosurgery clinic."
我处于神经外科诊所的团队的控制之下
They say, "What's this?" And they call the neurosurgeon to the stand.
他们说,"什么?"然后他们叫那名神经外科医生出庭作证
And say, "Did you tell this man that you are controlling his every move, he didn't have free will?"
并说:"你有没有告诉这个人,你在控制他的一举一动,他没有自由意志?"
She says, "Yeah, I did, yeah, but I was just messing with his head.
她说,"是的,我说了,是的,但我只是混淆了他的思想
That was just a joke. I didn't think he'd believe me."
给他开了个玩笑
Now, right there, I think we can stop, take a deep breath and say, well she did something really bad.
现在,到这里我们可以先停下来,深呼吸,然后说,她做了一件非常恶劣的事情
That was that was really, she really harmed that man.
没错,她确实伤害了那个男人
In fact, her little "joke," telling him that, actually accomplished non-surgically pretty much what she claimed to accomplish surgically.
事实上,她的小 "玩笑",告诉他这些,实际上以非手术方式完成了她声称要以手术方式完成的事情
She disabled him by telling him he didn't have free will.
她通过告诉他他没有自由意志,导致了他思想上的残疾
She pretty much turned his free will off and turned him into a morally incompetent person.
她几乎关闭了他的自由意志,把他变成一个道德上无能的人