(单词翻译:单击)
Chapter 4 A new life on an island
第四章 孤岛上的新生活
When day came, the sea was quiet again.
当白天到来时,大海又恢复了平静 。
I looked for our ship and, to my surprise, it was still there and still in one piece.
我找我们的船,令我惊诧的是它依然在那儿并且没有破碎 。
'I think I can swim to it,' I said to myself.
“我想我能够游到那儿,”我自言自语 。
So I walked down to the sea and before long, I was at the ship and was swimming round it.
于是,我朝大海里走去,不一会儿,我靠近了船绕着它游 。
But how could I get on to it?
只是,我怎样才可以上去呢?
In the end, I got in through a hole in the side, but it wasn't easy.
最后,我从船舷一侧的一个洞里钻了进去,但却很不容易 。
There was a lot of water in the ship, but the sand under the sea was still holding the ship in one place.
船里积了很多水,但海底的沙使船固定在了一个地方 。
The back of the ship was high out of the water, and I was very thankful for this because all the ship's food was there.
船的尾部翘出了水面,这让我非常庆幸,因为船上全部的食物都储在那儿 。
I was very hungry so I began to eat something at once.
我已经很饥饿,所以我马上开始吃东西 。
Then I decided to take some of it back to the shore with me.
然后决定带一些食物回到岸上 。
But how could I get it there?
可是我又怎样才能做到呢?
I looked around the ship, and after a few minutes, I found some long pieces of wood.
我察看了这只船的四周,几分钟后,我找到了几块长条的木板 。
I tied them together with rope.
我用绳子把它们紧扎在一起 。
Then I got the things that I wanted from the ship.
然后我便搬上我想从船上带走的东西 。
There was a big box of food—rice, and salted meat, and hard ship's bread.
那儿有一大箱食品——米、咸肉和硬面包 。
I also took many strong knives and other tools, the ship's sails and ropes, paper, pens, books, and seven guns.
我还拿了很多坚固的小刀及其他工具,船帆、绳子、纸、钢笔、书及7枝枪 。
Now I needed a little sail from the ship, and then I was ready.
现在我需要在船上找一个小帆,不一会儿,我就找好了 。
Slowly and carefully, I went back to the shore.
我慢慢地、小心翼翼地向岸边划 。
It was difficult to stop my things from falling into the sea, but in the end I got everything on to the shore.
要使我的东西不掉到海里是挺困难的,但终于我把每一件东西都弄上了岸 。
Now I needed somewhere to keep my things.
现在,我需要地方来存放我的东西 。
There were some hills around me, so I decided to build myself a little house on one of them.
在我的周围有些小山丘,于是我决定在其中的一个小山上给自己建一座小屋 。
I walked to the top of the highest hill and looked down,
我走到最高的小山的山顶往下看 。
I was very unhappy, because I saw then that I was on an island.
我非常沮丧,因为那时我才明白我是在一个孤岛上 。
There were two smaller islands a few miles away, and after that, only the sea.
几英里外有两个更小的岛,更远的地方,
Just the sea, for mile after mile after mile.
只剩下了大海,延绵数英里的大海 。
After a time, I found a little cave in the side of a hill.
过了不久,我在小山的一侧找到了一个小洞穴 。
In front of it, there was a good place to make a home.
在它前面,是一个安家的好地方 。
So, I used the ship's sails, rope, and pieces of wood, and after a lot of hard work I had a very fine tent.
于是,我用那些船的帆,绳子及本板经过很艰苦的劳作,我有了一个非常好的帐篷 。
The cave at the back of my tent was a good place to keep my food, and so I called it my 'kitchen'.
帐篷后面的洞穴是存放食物的好地方,所以我称之为我的“厨房” 。
That night, I went to sleep in my new home.
那天晚上,我便在我的新家睡觉 。
The next day I thought about the possible dangers on the island.
第二天,我仔细设想了岛上可能存在的危险 。
Were there wild animals, and perhaps wild people too, on my island?
在我的岛上,会不会有野兽,也许还会存在野人?
I didn't know, but I was very afraid.
虽然我不知道,但却很害怕 。
So I decided to build a very strong fence.
于是我决定建一个坚固的栅栏 。
I cut down young trees and put them in the ground, in a half circle around the front of my tent.
我砍倒了一些小树,插入到地上在我的帐篷前围成个半圆 。
I used many of the ship's ropes too, and in the end my fence was as strong as a stone wall.
我还用了很多船上的绳子,最后我的栅栏就象一堵坚固的石墙 。
Nobody could get over it, through it, or round it.
没有人可以翻进来,钻进来或者绕过来 。
Making tents and building fences is hard work.
制作帐篷和建造栅栏篱笆是一项艰苦的工作 。
I needed many tools to help me.
我需要很多工具来帮我 。
So I decided to go back to the ship again, and get some more things.
所以,我打算再次回到船上,去拿更多的东西 。
I went back twelve times, but soon after my twelfth visit there was another terrible storm.
我回去了12次,但就在我第12次回来之后不久又来了一场暴风雨 。
The next morning, when I looked out to sea, there was no ship.
第二天一早我朝外瞧向大海时,船不见了 。
When I saw that, I was very unhappy.
目睹了这一切,我非常悲伤 。
'Why am I alive, and why are all my friends dead?' I asked myself.
“为什么我活着,而我所有的朋友们却都死了?”我问自己 。
'What will happen to me now, alone on this island without friends? How can I ever escape from it?'
“现在对于我又会有什么事情发生呢?没有朋友独自生活在岛上,我怎么才能够逃离这儿?”
Then I told myself that I was lucky—lucky to be alive, lucky to have food and tools, lucky to be young and strong. But I knew that my island was somewhere off the coast of South America.
但随即我告诉自己我是幸运的——能够幸运地活下来,幸运有食物、有工具,幸运自己还年轻力壮 。但我知道我的岛在南美洲海岸外的某个地方 。
Ships did not often come down this coast, and I said to myself,
船只不太经常沿着这个海岸航行,我对自己说,
'I'm going to be on this island for a long time.'
“我会在这个岛上呆很长时间 。”
So, on a long piece of wood, I cut these words:
于是,在一长条的木牌上,我刻下了这些话:
I came here on 30th September 1659. After that, I decided to make a cut for each day.
我于1659年9月30日来到此岛以后,我决定每天都刻上一个记号 。