(单词翻译:单击)
In 2013, Google announced it was adding something new to its Chrome browser: Here are popular attractions in Santa Cruz.
2013年,谷歌宣布将在Chrome浏览器中添加新功能:这是圣克鲁斯的热门景点
Voice recognition that you could activate by speaking a keyword.
你可以通过说关键字来激活这个语音识别
In 2014, Apple updated its Siri function to work the same way.
2014年,苹果更新了Siri功能,工作方式与其相同
Hey Siri, show me photos of tortellini. Here are some images of tortellini.
嘿,Siri,给我看看意式饺子的照片
Voice activation was a flashy new addition to these companies' existing browsers and phones.
语音激活是这些公司现有浏览器和手机的一个新亮点
But then, a few months later, Amazon released something simpler: When it first arrived from Amazon, I didn't know what it was.
但几个月后,亚马逊发布了一个更容易操作的设备:当它刚在亚马逊发布时,我都不知道它是什么
It's called "Amazon Echo."
它叫做“亚马逊回声”
It was a voice-activated speaker. A product whose sole purpose was to interact with your voice.
这是一个声控扬声器,该产品的唯一目的是与你的声音进行互动
And you can see in this video they made, that they had to convince people that it would be useful.
你可以在他们制作的视频中看到,他们必须让人们相信这是有用的
I can play music, answer questions, get the news and weather, create to-do lists and much more. Awesome! But it worked.
我可以播放音乐、回答问题、获取新闻和天气、创建待办事项列表等等
Today, every 1 in 5 American households has a smart speaker.
如今,五分之一的美国家庭都有一个智能语音助手
Most are made by Amazon, Google, and Apple.
大多数是由亚马逊、谷歌或苹果公司生产的
And their technology doesn't just sit on tabletops anymore.
他们的技术不再仅仅停留在桌面上的摆件
You can find Alexa in your ears; around your wrist, or just a finger.
你可以把Alexa语音助手放在你的耳朵里、手腕上,或者戴在一根手指上
She's even right in front of your eyeballs.
她就在你眼前
You can also find smart-speakers built into remote controls, security cameras, and doorbells.
你还可以找到内置在遥控器、监控摄像头和门铃中的智能语音助手
Or in the form of an adorable tiger, so that it's easier for your kids to use.
它也可以是一只可爱的老虎,这样你的孩子就更容易使用了
And each Alexa product can reportedly process 100,000 different commands.
据报道,每个Alexa产品可以处理10万个不同的命令
But all this convenience does come at the expense of some of our privacy.
但所有这些便利确实是以牺牲我们的一些隐私为代价的
So it's worth asking, what are we really giving up when we use one?
所以,值得一问的是,当我们使用它的时候,我们到底放弃了什么?
The first thing to understand is that smart speakers aren't actually that smart.
首先要明白的是,智能语音助手其实并不那么智能
It probably seems like there's a lot more going on than there is.
可能看起来比现在发生的事情要多得多
Sara Morrison covers personal data and privacy for Recode.
萨拉·莫里森记录了科技网站Recode的个人数据和隐私
But essentially, it's a microphone that connects to the Internet.
但本质上,它是一个连接到互联网的麦克风
When I ask it about the weather - Alexa, what's the temperature?
当我问起天气的时候——Alexa,现在的温度是?
It's not the thing that finds the temperature.
它不是测量温度的仪器
It just records my question, sends that recording to an Amazon server, which analyzes it and finds the temperature.
它只是记录下我的问题,将记录发送到亚马逊服务器,服务器对其进行分析并寻找到这一问题的答案
Right now, it's 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
现在是华氏32度
What seems like a genius digital helper, is really just a direct line to Amazon.
看似天才的数字助手,其实只是通往亚马逊的一条直达通路
And while I soon forget my question, Amazon remembers it.
虽然我很快就忘记了我的问题,但亚马逊仍然记得
In my speaker's settings, I can see that my recordings are actually saved, until I delete them.
在我的扬声器设置中,我可以看到我的录音实际上已经被保存了,除非我删除它们
So ... Unless you set it somehow differently, it will pretty much stay on their servers indefinitely.
所以……除非你以不同的方式设置它,否则它几乎会无限期地留在他们的服务器上
According to a recent survey, almost half of smart-speaker owners incorrectly believed their audio was only saved temporarily or not at all.
根据最近的一项调查,几乎一半的智能语音助手用户错误地认为他们的音频只是暂时保存或根本没有保存
And 47% thought it was unacceptable.
47%的人认为这无法接受