(单词翻译:单击)
You can't find some work reward that's going to take the place of procrastination.
你找不到任何可以替代拖延症的工作奖励
If the reward of procrastination is that you get to spend five minutes distracted by Facebook and sort of see these updates of your friends.
如果拖延症的奖励是你可以花五分钟玩脸书 或者是看看朋友们最新的动态
You have to allow yourself to do that. That has to be part of your workday.
那就去做吧 它必定得成为你日常工作的一部分
If you need five minutes every hour to look at tweets or to just surf the internet, you need to schedule that into your schedule.
如果你每小时都要花五分钟去看推特或者是上网 你就得把这件事加到你的时间安排里去
Allow yourself to do that because when people start procrastinating what they've done is they've tried to ignore that urge.
允许自己那么做 因为人们开始拖延的时候 他们其实是在忽略那种紧迫感
They've tried to deny themselves time on Facebook or time surfing the web.
他们努力不让自己玩脸书或上网
And then all of a sudden it erupts and they go and they say I'm just going to check for five minutes and 45 minutes later they've lost all of this time.
然后突然间 这种欲望爆发了 他们会说 我只刷5分钟 于是不知不觉45分钟就过去了
It's because they haven't accommodated that need.
这是因为他们还没有适应自己的这种需求
Once a habit exists you can't just quelch it.
当某种习惯一旦形成 你不能直接压制它
You can't pretend it's not there.
你不能假装无视它
You have to sort of accommodate this need in your life.
你得在生活中适应这种需求
And so the answer is to give yourself five minutes every hour.
所以答案就是每小时给自己拿出5分钟
In fact you can set an alarm. At the end of every hour give yourself five minutes to surf the web.
其实你可以设个闹钟 每小时的最后5分钟拿来上网
Because if you allow yourself five minutes every hour it won't explode into 45 minutes because you've been trying to suppress it.
如果你愿意每小时给自己5分钟 它就不会因为你的克制一下子膨胀成45分钟
The literature there's a term for this.
这种做法有个术语
It's called structured procrastination where you basically do lots of little things that give you the sense that you're making progress without actually making any progress.
叫结构化拖延症 也就是你做很多小事 让你觉得自己在进步 但实际上却没有任何进步
It's very easy to get ourselves to do lots of little tasks that gives us momentary slight joy.
我们很容易让自己去做很多小事 这些小事能带给我们短暂的快乐
Oh, I erased another email. Oh, I responded to that email and so on.
哦 我删掉了另一封邮件 哦 我回复了那封邮件 等等
Without thinking long term.
却没有长远考虑
There should always be a look towards the future.
我们应该永远期待未来
We are always growing and evolving and progressing.
我们总在成长、进化和进步
There is no finish line in life ultimately and I think that's tough for some to accept because we think okay, I crossed the finish line, now what.
生活没有最后的终点线 很多人难以接受这一点 因为我们会觉得 好 我过终点线了 现在干什么
You're not dead. There's more work to do. Look at that.
你又没死 还有很多事情要做呢 看看
In long term thinking it's really what causes real joy.
从长远考虑 这才是真正的快乐源泉
And it's not easy, right. It's not easy.
做到这一点并不容易 很难
I get about 300 emails a day. I wake up, I open my laptop.
我每天会收到300封邮件 一早上醒来 打开电脑
It's always a moment of slight depression. Oh, my goodness. I have to deal with all of this.
总会有一种沮丧感 哦天哪 我得处理这么多的邮件
And I could spend my whole day doing email. And email here's an analogy.
我一整天都可以花在回复邮件上 这里的邮件是个比喻
There's an analogy for all the things that you have to do but they're not giving you a true sense of accomplishment.
它是指那些你不得不做 但却又无法给你真正的成就感的事情
And the real challenge – and it's not easy is to carve time to do the things that you would say at the end of three months, six months, a year and so on will give me a sense that I'm actually contributing doing something useful.
真正的挑战——难的是挤出时间去做那些三个月 六个月 一年之后会让你觉得确实有用的事情
So personally I do this with writing.
我自己的选择是写作
It's very easy to spend a whole day responding to email.
一整天都用来回复邮件不是什么难事
I try to protect some time and say I'm going to write.
我试着留出一点时间去写作
I'm going to actually stop. I'm going to think. It will take me awhile.
我要停下来 我要思考 它会花上点时间
Sometimes I'll write something I said the whole time was useless.
有时候我会写一些我经常说的没用的话
I didn't really progress enough but from time to time there is progress and over time it creates a body of knowledge that you say this is actually a very useful thing.
我并没有取得足够的进步 但有时会有进步 随着时间的推移 它创造了一个知识体系 会让你觉得这是一件很有用的事