(单词翻译:单击)
中英文本
The Cold, Hard Facts. I once overheard a group of people exchanging science-based trivia questions.
冰冷的艰难的事实 。有一次,我无意中听到一群人在谈论科学冷知识问题 。
Chiming in with one of my own, I asked, "At what temperature are Fahrenheit and Celsius equivalent?"
我带着自己的问题加入了谈话,我问道,“在什么温度下华氏温度和摄氏温度相等?”
One guy said, "Minus 40 degrees." Not expecting him to know this off the top of his head, I said, "Impressive.
有个家伙说,“负四十度 。”没有期待他能凭自己的脑子知道这个事情,我说,“真厉害 。
How did you know that?" His reply: "I've been to Minnesota."
你是怎么知道的?”他回答说:“我去过明尼苏达州 。”
The Snow Job. My son-in-law Chuck snow-blows and shovels driveways for several clients in the winter.
除雪工作 。我的女婿查克在冬天为几个客户除雪和铲车道 。
Once while he was shoveling, a little old lady came by and asked if he could do her driveway too.
有一次他在铲雪,一位老太太过来问他能不能帮他铲雪 。
Chuck agreed. When he finished, she asked him how much she owed him. Chuck told her "Twenty-five."
查克同意了 。他完成后,老太太问他多少钱 。查克告诉她“25” 。
She went into the house, came back out, and gave him a quarter.
她走进屋子,出来给了查克25美分 。
She then asked if he was sure that was enough. Chuck just smiled and said, "Yeah, I guess that is good."
然后她问他这些钱够不够 。查克笑了笑说道,“够了,我觉得够了 。”
He kept clearing the snow from her driveway for "twenty-five" until she passed away.
后来查克一直以25美分的价格为她铲雪,直到她去世 。
When the Frog Croaks. One of my young son's friends called us on FaceTime.
青蛙呱叫时 。我小儿子的一个朋友在FaceTime上给我打电话 。
"I got some really bad news," the friend said in a solemn tone. Concerned, I listened closely.
这个朋友用严肃的声调说,“我有一些很坏的消息 。”我有点担心,仔细地听着 。
My son asked, "What happened?" His friend said, "Jeff died."
我儿子问道,“发生什么事了?”他的朋友说,“杰夫死了 。”
My wife, also concerned, asked, "Who's Jeff?" "He's my frog," the friend replied.
我的妻子也担心地问道,“杰夫是谁?”“他是我的青蛙 。”这个朋友回复道 。
He then said a sweet prayer about the frog, thankful for their time on earth together and the joy he brought to their lives.
然后,他为青蛙做了一个甜蜜的祈祷,感谢他们在地球上一起度过的时光,以及他给他们的生活带来的欢乐 。
It was a pretty mature eulogy for a kid. He ended it with "Amen." Before I could raise my bowed head, the toilet flushed.
那对孩子来说是很成熟的悼词 。最后他说了“阿门” 。在我抬起头之前,就传来了冲马桶的声音 。
重点讲解
1.a group of一群
But a group of six women and 23 children got separated from the others.
但是有一群人和其他人走散了,其中有6名妇人和23个孩子 。
2.come by得到
In rural France, English language magazines are rather hard to come by.
在法国乡村,很难找到英语杂志 。
译文由可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载 。