我如何用生物数据来更好地讲故事
日期:2020-03-31 15:42

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

For the past 15 years I've been trying to change your mind.
过去的15年间,我一直在尝试改变你们的想法。
In my work I harness pop culture and emerging technology to shift cultural norms.
我的工作是利用流行文化和新兴技术来改变文化规范。
I've made video games to promote human rights,
我做过电子游戏来促进人权,
I've made animations to raise awareness about unfair immigration laws
做过动画片来提高关于不公平的移民法案的意识,
and I've even made location-based augmented reality apps to change perceptions around homelessness well before Pokémon Go.
以及做过基于定位的增强现实应用来改变对无家可归者的看法,比PokemonGo早了不少。
But then I began to wonder whether a game or an app can really change attitudes and behaviors,
之后我开始琢磨,是否有游戏或者应用可以真的改变态度和行为,
and if so, can I measure that change? What's the science behind that process?
如果可以,我能否衡量这种改变?这个过程背后的科学依据是什么?
So I shifted my focus from making media and technology to measuring their neurobiological effects.
所以我把我的工作重心从制作媒体和技术转移到了测量它们的神经生物学效应。
Here's what I discovered. The web, mobile devices, virtual and augmented reality were rescripting our nervous systems.
这是我的发现。网络、移动设备、虚拟现实和增强现实技术在改写我们的神经系统。
And they were literally changing the structure of our brain.
它们确实在改变我们大脑的结构。
The very technologies I had been using to positively influence hearts and minds
我曾经一直用来积极影响心灵和思想的技术,
were actually eroding functions in the brain necessary for empathy and decision-making.
实际上正在逐渐侵蚀大脑中对于同理心和决策力不可或缺的功能。
In fact, our dependence upon the web and mobile devices might be taking over our cognitive and affective faculties,
事实上,我们对网络和移动设备的依赖也许正在取代我们的认知和情感能力,
rendering us socially and emotionally incompetent, and I felt complicit in this dehumanization.
让我们的社交以及情感功能变得低下,而我感觉我是这种去人情化的帮凶。
I realized that before I could continue making media about social issues,
我意识到在我能够继续制作关于社会话题的媒体之前,
I needed to reverse engineer the harmful effects of technology.
我需要把科技的不良影响反转过来。
To tackle this I asked myself, "How can I translate the mechanisms of empathy, the cognitive, affective and motivational aspects,
为了解决这个问题,我反问自己,“我如何才能把同理心的机理,它的认知、情感和动机方面的原理,
into an engine that simulates the narrative ingredients that move us to act?"
转化成模拟能促使我们行动的故事素材的引擎?”
To answer this, I had to build a machine.
为了回答这个问题,我不得不造了台机器。
I've been developing an open-source biometric lab, an AI system which I call the Limbic Lab.
我一直在开发一个开源的生物计量实验室,这是一个人工智能系统,我叫它大脑边缘实验室。
The lab not only captures the brain and body's unconscious response to media and technology
这个实验室不仅能准确记录大脑和身体对媒体和技术的无意识反应,
but also uses machine learning to adapt content based on these biological responses.
还能使用机器学习技术基于这些生物学反应来改写内容。
My goal is to find out what combination of narrative ingredients are the most appealing and galvanizing to specific target audiences
我的目标就是找出哪些叙述成分的组合对特定的目标观众是最有吸引力也最有激励性的,
to enable social justice, cultural and educational organizations to create more effective media.
从而使社会正义、文化和教育组织能够制作出更有效的媒体内容。
The Limbic Lab consists of two components: a narrative engine and a media machine.
大脑边缘实验室由两个部分组成:一个叙事引擎和一个媒体机器。
While a subject is viewing or interacting with media content,
当一位被试者在观看或者和媒体内容互动时,
the narrative engine takes in and syncs real-time data from brain waves,
叙事引擎会采集并同步实时数据,比如脑电波数据,
biophysical data like heart rate, blood flow, body temperature and muscle contraction,
包括心跳、血流量、体温、以及肌肉收缩的生物物理学数据,
as well as eye-tracking and facial expressions.
以及眼动追踪和面部表情。
Data is captured at key places where critical plot points, character interaction or unusual camera angles occur.
数据在关键地方被准确记录,比如关键情节点、角色互动或者不寻常镜头角度发生的时候。
Like the final scene in "Game of Thrones, Red Wedding," when shockingly, everybody dies.
比如在《权力的游戏之血色婚礼》的最后一幕,令人震惊地,每个人都死了。
Survey data on that person's political beliefs, along with their psychographic and demographic data,
被试者的政治信仰的问卷数据,以及他们的心理及人口统计的调查数据,
are integrated into the system to gain a deeper understanding of the individual.
也整合在了系统里,以获取对个体更深层的了解。
Let me give you an example.
我给你们举个例子。

我如何用生物数据来更好地讲故事

Matching people's TV preferences with their views on social justice issues
将人们对电视节目的偏好与他们对社会公平事件的看法相匹配,
reveals that Americans who rank immigration among their top three concerns are more likely to be fans of "The Walking Dead,"
揭示了将移民列为他们最关心问题前三的美国人,更可能是《行尸走肉》的粉丝,
and they often watch for the adrenaline boost, which is measurable.
并且他们经常为了肾上腺素的刺激收看节目,这也是可以测量的。
A person's biological signature and their survey response combines into a database to create their unique media imprint.
一个人的生物学信号和他们的问卷回复,组成了一个创造他们独一无二媒体印记的数据库。
Then our predictive model finds patterns between media imprints
然后我们的预测模型会寻找媒体印记之间的规律,
and tells me which narrative ingredients are more likely to lead to engagement in altruistic behavior rather than distress and apathy.
告诉我哪些叙事成分更有可能引起利他行为,而不是痛苦和冷漠。
The more imprints added to the database across mediums from episodic television to games,
从电视剧到游戏,越多媒体印记加入到数据库中,
the better the predictive models become.
预测模型就变得越好。
In short, I am mapping the first media genome.
总之,我正在绘制第一个媒体基因组。
Whereas the human genome identifies all genes involved in sequencing human DNA,
人类基因组确定了所有与人类DNA序列相关的基因,
the growing database of media imprints will eventually allow me to determine the media DNA for a specific person.
而不断增长的媒体印记数据库将最终帮助我确定一个特定的人的媒体DNA。
Already the Limbic Lab's narrative engine helps content creators refine their storytelling,
大脑边缘实验室的叙事引擎能帮助内容创作者完善他们讲故事的方式,
so that it resonates with their target audiences on an individual level.
使其能在个体层面上与目标观众产生共鸣。
The Limbic Lab's other component, the media machine,
大脑边缘实验室的另外一部分,媒体机器,
will assess how media elicits an emotional and physiological response,
将会评估媒体如何引起观众感情和生理上的反应,
then pulls scenes from a content library targeted to person-specific media DNA.
并从内容库中提取出针对特定个人媒体DNA的内容。
Applying artificial intelligence to biometric data creates a truly personalized experience.
针对生物特征数据使用人工智能能够创造真正个性化的体验。
One that adapts content based on real-time unconscious responses.
这种体验能基于实时的无意识反应而对内容进行调整。
Imagine if nonprofits and media makers were able to measure how audiences feel as they experience it and alter content on the fly.
想象一下,如果非盈利组织和媒体制作者能在观众体验内容的同时测量他们的感受,并且动态调整内容会怎样。
I believe this is the future of media.
我相信这是媒体的未来。
To date, most media and social-change strategies have attempted to appeal to mass audiences,
迄今,大部分媒体和社会变革战略已经尝试过吸引普罗大众,
but the future is media customized for each person.
但是未来是媒体为每一个人定制的时代。
As real-time measurement of media consumption and automated media production becomes the norm,
因为媒体消费的实时评估和自动媒体制作会变成常态,
we will soon be consuming media tailored directly to our cravings using a blend of psychographics, biometrics and AI.
很快,我们将会消费到利用心理学、生物识别技术和人工智能为我们的欲望量身定制的媒体。
It's like personalized medicine based on our DNA. I call it "biomedia."
它们就像是基于我们DNA的个性化医疗。我称它为“生物媒体”。
I am currently testing the Limbic Lab in a pilot study with the Norman Lear Center,
我现在正在与诺曼·李尔中心一起对大脑边缘实验室进行前导研究,
which looks at the top 50 episodic television shows.
研究对象是排名前50的电视剧。
But I am grappling with an ethical dilemma.
但是我正在和道德困境作斗争。
If I design a tool that can be turned into a weapon, should I build it?
如果我设计的工具能够被变成武器,我应该把它造出来吗?
By open-sourcing the lab to encourage access and inclusivity,
实验室的开源是为了鼓励使用和包容,
I also run the risk of enabling powerful governments and profit-driven companies
但我同样冒着可能会让强势政府和盈利企业
to appropriate the platform for fake news, marketing or other forms of mass persuasion.
为了捏造新闻、市场营销和其它形式的大范围劝导而私自占用平台的风险。
For me, therefore, it is critical to make my research as transparent to lay audiences as GMO labels.
因此,对我来说,使我的研究能够像转基因标签那样对外行透明是非常重要的。
However, this is not enough. As creative technologists,
然而,这还不够。作为创新技术人员,
we have a responsibility not only to reflect upon how present technology shapes our cultural values and social behavior,
我们有责任不但要反思现在的技术如何塑造了我们的文化价值观和社会行为,
but also to actively challenge the trajectory of future technology.
同样也要主动挑战未来科技的发展轨迹。
It is my hope that we make an ethical commitment
我的希望是做出道德上的承诺,
to harvesting the body's intelligence for the creation of authentic and just stories
我们获取身体信息,是为了创造出真实和正义的故事,
that transform media and technology from harmful weapons into narrative medicine. Thank you.
将媒体和科技从有害的武器转变成叙事的良药。谢谢大家。

分享到