(单词翻译:单击)
Many of us here use technology in our day-to-day.
在座的各位在日常生活中都会使用科技。
And some of us rely on technology to do our jobs.
许多人依赖科技来进行他们的工作。
For a while, I thought of machines and the technologies
有一段时间,我认为机器和科技
that drive them as perfect tools that could make my work more efficient and more productive.
只是让我的工作更高效、高产的完美工具。
But with the rise of automation across so many different industries, it led me to wonder:
但随着自动化技术在各行各业的崛起,让我不禁试想:
If machines are starting to be able to do the work traditionally done by humans, what will become of the human hand?
如果机器能够完成原本由人类做的工作,那我们人类之手又能做些什么呢?
How does our desire for perfection, precision and automation affect our ability to be creative?
对完美、精确和自动化的追求是如何影响我的创造力?
In my work as an artist and researcher, I explore AI and robotics to develop new processes for human creativity.
作为艺术家和研究者,我研究人工智能和机器人,以此来开发人类创造的新途径。
For the past few years, I've made work alongside machines, data and emerging technologies.
过去几年里,我运用机器、数据和新兴科技进行创作。
It's part of a lifelong fascination about the dynamics of individuals and systems and all the messiness that that entails.
其中一部分永恒的魅力在于人与技术间奇妙的动态,还有其中不可避免的混乱。
It's how I'm exploring questions about where AI ends and we begin
我借此来探索人工智能与我们的界限,
and where I'm developing processes that investigate potential sensory mixes of the future.
以及探索发展未来感官融合的可能。
I think it's where philosophy and technology intersect.
我想这是哲学与技术的交汇点。
Doing this work has taught me a few things.
这项工作教会了我一些事。
It's taught me how embracing imperfection can actually teach us something about ourselves.
它教会我拥抱不完美可以帮助我们认识自我。
It's taught me that exploring art can actually help shape the technology that shapes us.
它教会我探索艺术能够更好的构建科技,从而塑造自我。
And it's taught me that combining AI and robotics with traditional forms of creativity -- visual arts in my case
它教会我将人工智能和机器人结合到传统的创作中--以我创作的视觉艺术为例,
can help us think a little bit more deeply about what is human and what is the machine.
能够帮助我们更深入理解何为人类,何为机器。
And it's led me to the realization that collaboration is the key to creating the space for both as we move forward.
它让我意识到在我们进步的路上,合作是创造人与机器共存空间的关键。
It all started with a simple experiment with machines, called "Drawing Operations Unit: Generation 1."
这一切都始于一个简单的机器实验,实验机器叫“绘图机器:初代”。
I call the machine "D.O.U.G." for short.
我把它简称为道格(D.O.U.G.)。
Before I built D.O.U.G, I didn't know anything about building robots.
在我建造道格之前,我对造机器人一无所知。
I took some open-source robotic arm designs,
我参考了一些开源的机器臂设计,
I hacked together a system where the robot would match my gestures and follow in real time.
编成了一个系统来实现匹配手势,并实时模仿它们。
The premise was simple: I would lead, and it would follow.
前提很简单:我画,而它会学我。
I would draw a line, and it would mimic my line.
我画一条线,它也会跟着我画一条线。
So back in 2015, there we were, drawing for the first time, in front of a small audience in New York City.
回到2015年,那是我们第一次在纽约的一小群观众前作画。
The process was pretty sparse -- no lights, no sounds, nothing to hide behind.
整个过程非常冷清--没有灯光,没有音效,也没有什么悬念。
Just my palms sweating and the robot's new servos heating up.
只有手掌冒出的冷汗和机器臂不断升高的温度。
Clearly, we were not built for this.
显然,这不是我们想要的效果。
But something interesting happened, something I didn't anticipate.
但有趣的事发生了,完全出乎意料。
See, D.O.U.G., in its primitive form, wasn't tracking my line perfectly.
初代的道格并没有完美地模仿我画的线条。
While in the simulation that happened onscreen it was pixel-perfect, in physical reality, it was a different story.
在计算器模拟中显示它的模仿事精确完美的,但到了现实中,却并非如此。
It would slip and slide and punctuate and falter, and I would be forced to respond.
它会滑动,会卡顿,会晃动,于是我不得不附和它的线条。
There was nothing pristine about it. And yet, somehow, the mistakes made the work more interesting.
它的状态不完美,而这些失误让作品更加有趣。
The machine was interpreting my line but not perfectly. And I was forced to respond.
机器在模仿我的线条,但是并不完美,于是变成我在附和机器。
We were adapting to each other in real time. And seeing this taught me a few things.
我们不断地实时熟悉彼此。看到这些,教会了我一些事。
It showed me that our mistakes actually made the work more interesting.
我们的失误,实际上让我们的作品更加有趣。
And I realized that, you know, through the imperfection of the machine,
我从机器的不完美中意识到,
our imperfections became what was beautiful about the interaction.
我们的不完美成就了这互动之美。
And I was excited, because it led me to the realization
而我很兴奋,因为它让我意识到,
that maybe part of the beauty of human and machine systems is their shared inherent fallibility.
或许人类和机器系统的美妙之一正是他们共同的、固有的不完美。
For the second generation of D.O.U.G., I knew I wanted to explore this idea.
对于第二代的道格,我知道我要探索这个想法。
But instead of an accident produced by pushing a robotic arm to its limits,
我并非打算通过放大机器臂的失误,
I wanted to design a system that would respond to my drawings in ways that I didn't expect.
而是想要设计一个系统能够以出其不意的方式回应我的画作。
So, I used a visual algorithm to extract visual information from decades of my digital and analog drawings.
所以,我运用一个视觉算法来提取我几十年来的数字和实体绘图中的视觉样本信息,
I trained a neural net on these drawings in order to generate recurring patterns in the work
以此我训练了一个神经网络优化机器的循环模式,
that were then fed through custom software back into the machine.
视觉样本由经专门的软件处理导入机器。
I painstakingly collected as many of my drawings as I could find -- finished works, unfinished experiments and random sketches
于是我煞费苦心地收集我的所有的画作--成品,半成品,随手简笔画,
and tagged them for the AI system. And since I'm an artist, I've been making work for over 20 years.
把它们标记给人工智能系统。作为一位艺术家,我作画超过了20年。
Collecting that many drawings took months, it was a whole thing.
所以收集这些画作花了好多个月,这是个大工程。
And here's the thing about training AI systems: it's actually a lot of hard work. A lot of work goes on behind the scenes.
说到训练人工智能:这其实大费功夫。幕后的工作很多很多。
But in doing the work, I realized a little bit more about how the architecture of an AI is constructed.
但在其中,我对人工智能的构造更深入了解了一些。
And I realized it's not just made of models and classifiers for the neural network.
我意识到它不仅是神经网络的模型和分屏器。
But it's a fundamentally malleable and shapable system, one in which the human hand is always present.
它是一个可延展的、可塑的系统,人类的手始终参与其中。
It's far from the omnipotent AI we've been told to believe in.
它不再是我们认为的无所不能的人工智能。
So I collected these drawings for the neural net. And we realized something that wasn't previously possible.
所以,我收集画作以训练神经网络。而且我们意识到前所未有的事情发生了。
My robot D.O.U.G. became a real-time interactive reflection of the work I'd done through the course of my life.
我对机器人道格在实时交互创作中,对我过去人生几十年的作品做出回应。
The data was personal, but the results were powerful.
数据源于我个人,但结果却很有力。
And I got really excited, because I started thinking maybe machines don't need to be just tools,
我感到非常兴奋,因为我开始想或许机器不该只是工具,
but they can function as nonhuman collaborators.
它还可以是非人的合作者。
And even more than that, I thought maybe the future of human creativity isn't in what it makes
再进一步想,也许未来的人类创作不在于作品本身,
but how it comes together to explore new ways of making.
而在于对艺术诞生新方式的探索。
So if D.O.U.G._1 was the muscle, and D.O.U.G._2 was the brain, then I like to think of D.O.U.G._3 as the family.
所以,如果道格初代是肌肉,那么道格二代就是大脑,然后我想道格三代就是家人。
I knew I wanted to explore this idea of human-nonhuman collaboration at scale.
我知道我想要将对人类和非人类合作的想法放大。
So over the past few months, I worked with my team to develop 20 custom robots that could work with me as a collective.
于是再过去的几个月里,我和团队造出了20个定制的机器人与我集体创作。
They would work as a group, and together, we would collaborate with all of New York City.
它们像团队一样工作,我们共同与整个纽约市携手合作。
I was really inspired by Stanford researcher Fei-Fei Li,
斯坦福大学的研究员李飞飞激发了我对灵感,
who said, "if we want to teach machines how to think, we need to first teach them how to see."
她说,“若想教机器如何思考,我们先要教它们如何看见。”
It made me think of the past decade of my life in New York,
这让我想起了过去十年的纽约生活,
and how I'd been all watched over by these surveillance cameras around the city.
城市上空的监控摄像头监视着我。
And I thought it would be really interesting if I could use them to teach my robots to see.
如果我用它们来训练我的机器人的视觉,那会非常有趣。
So with this project, I thought about the gaze of the machine,
所以在这个项目中,我思考机器对我们的凝视,
and I began to think about vision as multidimensional, as views from somewhere.
于是我开始将视觉看成多元化的,视作来自某处的视点。
We collected video from publicly available camera feeds on the internet of people walking on the sidewalks,
我们收集视频,从网络上公共摄像头的影片到行人在路上走的片段,
cars and taxis on the road, all kinds of urban movement.
道路上的汽车和出租,城市中各种车水马龙的片段。
We trained a vision algorithm on those feeds based on a technique called "optical flow,"
基于一种“光流技术”,我们训练了一种视觉算法,
to analyze the collective density, direction, dwell and velocity states of urban movement.
来分析收集到的人流密度,城市流动的方向、速度状态以及居住方式。
Our system extracted those states from the feeds as positional data and became pads for my robotic units to draw on.
我们的系统从海量的位置数据中提取这些信息,我们的机器人依靠这些信息来作画。
Instead of a collaboration of one-to-one, we made a collaboration of many-to-many.
与之前的一对一合作不同,我们实现了多对多的合作。
By combining the vision of human and machine in the city, we reimagined what a landscape painting could be.
通过结合城市中人类与机器的视角,我们重构了一个景观绘图可能的样子。
Throughout all of my experiments with D.O.U.G., no two performances have ever been the same.
在我和道格所有的实验中,没有哪两次的呈现是相同的。
And through collaboration, we create something that neither of us could have done alone:
而且通过合作,我们创作了我们无法独自实现的事情:
we explore the boundaries of our creativity, human and nonhuman working in parallel.
我们共同探索了创造力的边界,人类和非人类并肩工作。
I think this is just the beginning. This year, I've launched Scilicet, my new lab exploring human and interhuman collaboration.
我想这才是开始。今年,我创办了Scilicet,这个新实验室旨在探索人类和非人类间的合作。
We're really interested in the feedback loop between individual, artificial and ecological systems.
我们对个体,人工和生态系统之间的反馈关系非常感兴趣。
We're connecting human and machine output to biometrics and other kinds of environmental data.
我们将人类和机器与生物特征识别和其他环境数据相结合。
We're inviting anyone who's interested in the future of work, systems and interhuman collaboration to explore with us.
我们邀请任何对未来的作品、系统和人际间合作感兴趣的人和我们共同探索。
We know it's not just technologists that have to do this work and that we all have a role to play.
我们知道不仅是科技工作者肩负使命,所有人都可以参与其中。
We believe that by teaching machines how to do the work traditionally done by humans,
我们坚信通过教授机器如何去完成人类的传统工作,
we can explore and evolve our criteria of what's made possible by the human hand.
我们就能不断探索和创新超越人类之手所能达到的可能。
And part of that journey is embracing the imperfections and recognizing the fallibility of both human and machine,
这段旅程之一便是拥抱不完美,发现人类和机器共有的缺憾,
in order to expand the potential of both.
才能更好的拓展我们共同的潜能。
Today, I'm still in pursuit of finding the beauty in human and nonhuman creativity.
今天,我仍在追寻人类和非人类协作的美妙之处。
In the future, I have no idea what that will look like, but I'm pretty curious to find out. Thank you.
在未来,我不知道会怎样,但是我满怀好奇去寻找答案。谢谢。