(单词翻译:单击)
I have a question for you.
我有一个问题想问大家。
Anybody in the audience who doesn't have a plastic ID? Anybody?
在座有人没有塑料制成的身份证吗?有吗?
Well, think about it. Plastic is everywhere.
想想看。塑料制品到处都是。
The buttons on your shirt, your mobile cover,
你衬衣上的纽扣,你的手机壳,
the water from the plastic bottle you just had, plastic money in the wallet, maybe.
你刚喝过的塑料瓶的水,也许还有钱包里用塑料制成的钱。
It is interesting how plastic has become an integral part of our lives and how we cannot go one single day without it.
很有意思的一件事是,塑料已经成为了你生活中不可或缺的一部分,没有它我们一天都无法生活下去。
Do you know what that makes me think?
你知道这让我想起了什么吗?
How my generation is inheriting not just this legacy but also the problem that comes with it:
我们这一代人继承的不仅是遗产,还有随之而来的问题:
the problem of what we throw in our oceans.
就是我们扔进海洋的那些问题。
Hello, everybody. My name is Haaziq Kazi.
大家好。我的名字叫做哈扎克·卡其。
I am 12 years old, and I alone have a plastic debt of roughly 66 tons and counting.
我今年十二岁,我背负着六十六吨的塑料债。
So, in case you are wondering, What is plastic debt?
可能你们会问,什么是塑料债?
It is the amount of non-cycled plastic which we humans leave behind on this planet.
它就是我们人类遗留在这个星球上的不可回收的塑料制品的数量。
How many Indians in the house today? Raise your hands, please.
今天在座的有多少印度人?请举起手。
According to a study, for every person in India, six tons of plastic is not recycled annually.
有研究发现,印度的每个人每年会产生六吨不可回收的塑料制品。
Any Americans here? Your figures are even more astounding.
在座的有美国人吗?你们的数字更加可怕。
Ninety tons per person of plastic which is not recycled, annually.
每人每年九十吨的不可回收塑料。
Imagine, in a lifetime, how much plastic is left behind because of us.
试想一下,在人的一生当中,我们会留下多少的塑料制品。
When we die, our bodies go back to Mother Earth,
当我们死去,我们的躯体归于地球,
but the plastic debt is left behind as a legacy for the coming generations.
但是留下的塑料债会作为遗产留给下一代。
Did you know that by 2050, we will have as much, or maybe more, plastic in the ocean than fish?
你知道吗,到2050年,海洋中的塑料会跟鱼一样多,甚至会比鱼的数量还多。
Speaking of which, every time I see people eating fish, I wonder, "Are they eating fish or plastic?"
说到这里,每次我看见别人吃鱼的时候,我就在想:“他们吃的是鱼还是塑料?”
Because the plastic we dispose that ends up in the ocean
因为我们扔进海里的塑料
might have been consumed by the same fish which gets on our plate -- talk about the vicious karmic cycle.
很有可能会被你餐盘中的同一条鱼吃掉,这就是恶性循环。
The magnitude of the problem inspired me to do something about this.
这个问题太严重了,于是我做了一些事情。
Hence, I came up with an idea of an invention that could help make the oceans a cleaner place: an ocean cleaner called ERVIS.
我研制了一项发明,它能够帮助把海洋变得更干净:这是一艘叫做ERVIS的海洋清洁机。
ERVIS is an intelligent ship which sucks waste from the ocean surface and cleans it.
ERVIS是一艘智能船,能够吸收海洋表面的废弃物并把它们清洁干净。
It all started two years back.
事情要从两年前说起。
I saw some documentaries and a TED Talk of Boyan Slat about how he wanted to clean the oceans.
我看了一些纪录片,还有博扬·史莱特的TED演讲,内容是关于他是如何清洁海洋的。
A few days later, as I came home from playing football, my mom asked me to wash my hands,
几天后,我踢完足球回家,我妈妈让我洗手,
and as I went to the sink to get the dirt off, I observed a whirlpool of water going down the drain.
当我走到池边准备洗干净污渍时,我观察到水中产生了一个漩涡。
An idea came to my mind, and I smiled.
我脑海中出现了一个想法,我笑了。
I drew and created a rough model, a circular ship with saucers attached,
我画了一个简单的模型,带有一个园碟的回收船,
a very futuristic design, much like the USS Enterprise from Star Trek.
很像是《星际迷航》中的企业号航空母舰。
Come on, we all love the series. Right?
我们都很喜欢《星际迷航》,不是吗?
This was just the first draft.
这只是第一版草稿。
The propellers weren't automated, and it only lasted seven seconds in water before coming apart.
推动器还不是自动的,而且它只能在水中停留七秒钟就自动解体了。
But there it was: my ERVIS, my vision of changing the oceans.
但她就是我的ERVIS,是我改变海洋的想法的具象。
While guzzling down innumerable cups of hot chocolate -- you know, I'm still a kid, no coffee for me
在喝下数杯热巧克力之后--你们知道的,我还是个孩子,不能喝咖啡,
I did some exhaustive research to achieve my vision of ERVIS, which is:
为了实现我对ERVIS的展望,我做了非常详细的研究:
first, to clean the current waste floating in the ocean;
首先,要清理掉海洋表面漂浮的废弃物;
second, to analyze the data from the waste which we collect;
第二,从我们收回的废品中分析数据;
and third, to stop it at source, which is getting disposed by the ships.
第三,处理掉它的源头,这个将由船来处理。
I also realized that a circular shape was not very efficient and that I had to redesign my ship to be more hydrodynamic.
我同样还意识到循环型船的效率并不高,于是我要重新设计我的船,让它更符合流体动力学。
So I worked with scientists and engineers to create a more bleeding edge model. So here's how it works.
于是我跟科学家们和工程师们一起合作,建起了一艘更加高科技的模型。它是这样工作的。
The ship is essentially a large boat powered by solar and renewable natural gas,
这艘船是由太阳能和可回收的天然气驱动的,
with various compartments, and saucers surrounding it.
它有很多的部件,周围是一圈圆碟。
The saucers float on the surface, gravitate to create a whirlpool to pull the waste towards its center,
这些圆碟飘浮在表面,创造一个漩涡好把废弃物吸引到中心,
which is then sent through a tube to various chambers in the ship.
然后再把它们通过一条管道输送到船的各个舱室。
The chambers include an oil chamber, which collects waste oil.
这些舱室中包括一个储油仓,它会收集废弃的油。
The next four chambers are for large, medium, small, and micro-waste, respectively.
剩下的四个舱室用来储存大型、中型、小型和微型的废弃物。
Just imagine ERVIS to be a gigantic vacuum cleaner with many cleaning tubes attached to many dust bags.
你们可以把ERVIS想象成一个带有很多清洁管道并连接着很多垃圾袋的大型真空清洁机。
Once the waste enters the chambers, ERVIS analyzes, segregates, and compacts it,
一旦那些废弃物进入舱室,ERVIS就会对它们进行分析、解体和压缩,
and pumps the filtered water back into the oceans, all without harming marine life in the process.
再把过滤后的水送回海洋,整个过程都不会伤害任何的海洋生物。
ERVIS, the ship, is my contribution in making the Earth a better place.
ERVIS,这艘船,是我为使地球变得更美好所做的贡献。
And I hope, in some way, it can inspire you to find your idea which can bring a positive change in the world. Thank you.
我希望它可以在某种程度上鼓励你们提出自己的想法,给世界带来正面的改变。谢谢大家。