(单词翻译:单击)
Then I apply an electrode.
然后我用电极 。
Jonathan is holding the electrode.
乔纳森拿着电极 。
You can start the two minutes and let him know when it is complete.
你可以先用两分钟,完成后再告诉他 。
Copy that Wendy, starting the two minutes now.
收到,温迪,现在开始两分钟 。
Okay, start the reading on the concretion for C7.
好的,开始读C7的凝结作用指数 。
I have to hold the probe on the cannon for two minutes to allow the reading to stabilize.
我必须把探测器放在大炮上两分钟,让读数稳定下来 。
Then they record the reading up on the barge.
然后,他们在驳船上记录读数 。
After doing that for an hour, I feel like a real archaeologist!
干了一个小时,我觉得自己像个真正的考古学家!
I'm a regular underwater Indiana Jones!
我是个水下的印第安纳·琼斯!
But soon my tank is getting low and it's time to go back to the surface.
但很快我的氧气瓶快要没有氧气了,该回海面去了 。
Wow!
哇!
What'd you think of that?
你觉得怎么样?
You know, normally I'm not a fan of vacuuming, but vacuuming a cannon out of a shipwreck is really fun!
我通常不喜欢利用真空清扫,但从沉船中对一门大炮进行真空清扫真的很有趣!
Isn't that neat?
很整洁,不是吗?
Yeah, but I got a lot of sand in my gloves!
是的,但是我手套里有很多沙子!
That was great!
真棒!
After a long day at sea, we finally turn and head back to the dock.
在海上呆了一天之后,我们终于调转船头回码头去了 。
But my work is far from done.
但我的工作远未完成 。
My next stop is the QAR field lab, where archaeologist Lisa Briggs is panning for treasure.
我的下一站是卡尔野外实验室,考古学家丽莎·布里格斯正在那里寻宝 。
Hi Lisa!
嗨,丽莎!
Hey Jonathan, welcome.
嗨,乔纳森,欢迎 。
Come on in, this is our field lab.
请进,这是我们的实验基地 。
This is where we are doing the micro artifact extraction.
这是我们进行微型文物开采的地方 。
At the field lab, Lisa is looking through all that sand and sediment we collected in the sluice for micro-artifacts.
在实验基地里,丽莎正在查看我们在水闸里收集的沙子和沉积物,在里面寻找微型的文物 。
We find all sorts of tiny little artifacts that would be overlooked if we were to look on site or underwater.
我们发现了各种各样微型的文物,如果我们在现场或水下观察,它们都会被忽略 。
It's really difficult to identify things perfectly underwater.
很难把水下的东西完全辨认出来 。
We've got low visibility, lots of currents, lots of stuff going on when we are actually underwater,
能见度很低,水流湍急 。我们在水下时,有很多东西 。
so we save all the sediment, we bring it back here and then we process it to try to find the tiny little cool bits of treasure that we missed when we are actually physically digging underwater.
所以,我们保存了所有的沉积物,我们把它们带回到这,然后对它们进行处理,试图找到我们在水下实际挖掘时错过的超酷的微型宝物 。
The most common micro-artifact on the wreck is lead shot--tiny lead balls that would have been ammunition for muskets.
沉船上最常见的微型文物是铅弹,它本来是步枪的弹药 。
Some of the shot that we find was actually used in hand-help muskets and smaller hand-held firearms,
我们发现的一些子弹,实际上是用在手持式步枪和小型手枪上的 。
and then some other shot that we're finding even the very small pieces, grape shot or seed shot, would have been used in bags inside of cannons.
我们还发现另一些子弹,即使是很小的碎片,葡萄弹或种子弹,也会用在大炮的弹堂内 。
And that was used mostly to try to take out the rigging of an enemy's ship.
这主要是用来拆掉敌人船只的索具 。
Lisa gives me a lesson in panning through the sand to separate the heavier lead from the lighter sand and rocks.
丽莎给我上了一课,教我如何在沙子里淘洗,把重的铅从轻的沙石中分离出来 。
It's a very similar technique to panning for gold.
这种技术非常类似淘金 。
You know, if it doesn't work out, as an underwater archaeologist, I can go gold prospecting after working on this site.
如果不成功的话,作为一名水下考古学家,我可以在现场工作后去淘金 。
We're going to find you in Alaska next year?
明年我们会在阿拉斯加找到你吗?
Oh yeah!
是的!
Actually, pick up the lip a little bit…
把嘴唇抬起来一点......
I'm going to starve if I have to feed myself with finding gold this way.
如果我要用这种方法淘金来养活自己,我会饿死的 。
Finally, after I get the technique down, I find something!
最后,在掌握技术之后,我找到了一些东西!
Oh I think I see something.
哦,我想我看到了一些东西 。
Aarrrgh, there be lead in this here pan!
啊,这锅里有铅!
Look at that!
快看!
We have found, in total, I think over 250 thousand pieces of lead shot.
我们总共发现了25万多颗铅弹 。
Now you might not think of lead shot as treasure, but for a pirate, ammunition is critical.
现在你可能不认为铅弹是宝藏,但对于海盗来说,弹药至关重要 。
And to an archaeologist, this stuff is like gold.
对考古学家来说,这东西就像金子一样 。
I spend hours sifting through the sand for micro-artifacts!
我花了几个小时从沙子里筛出微型文物!
And I have become pretty good at panning for lead shot.
而且我已经很擅长淘铅弹了 。
But now it's time for my next stop.
但现在我们要去下一站了 。
Let's get out of here before she makes us do anymore!
在她让我们做别的之前,我们离开这儿吧!
Not far from the field lab, tucked away in a warehouse is the Queen Anne's Revenge restoration lab.
离实验基地不远,藏在仓库里的是安妮女王复仇号实验室 。
I meet up with the project director Wendy Welsh for a tour.
我和项目总监温迪·韦尔什见面参观 。
Hey Jonathan, welcome to the lab!
嗨,乔纳森,欢迎来到实验室!
Hi Wendy, how are you?
嗨,温迪,你好吗?
Nice to have you.
很高兴你能来 。
Inside are tons of artifacts that have been rescued from the shipwreck, all awaiting restoration so they can be put on display.
里面是从沉船中淘出的成吨的文物,它们都在等待修复,随后就可以展出了 。
This is the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources Queen Anne's Revenge conservation lab.
这是北卡罗来纳州文化资源部安妮女王复仇保护实验室 。
What we do here is we take all the artifacts that come in here from the QAR shipwreck, put them in storage.
我们要做的是把所有从安妮女王复仇号沉船上找来的文物都收好,放进仓库 。
We conserver them and make them ready for public display and everything in between.
我们把它们保护起来,准备好展示给公众 。
Show me how you do that!
告诉我你是怎么做到的!
All right!
好吧!
Well, we've been out to the site and you have seen kind of what it looks like,
好吧,我们去了现场,你看到了它的样子,你看到了一张基地的地图 。
you have seen a site map and is the way these things come up are in large amorphous lumpscalled concretions,
这些东西是以大块无定形块状固结物的形式出现,
and what we do here immediately is of course store them in wet storage.
我们现在做的是将它们储存在潮湿的仓库里 。
All the artifacts are stored in tanks filled with water.
所有的文物都存放在装满水的罐子里 。
They are being treated with special chemicals and an electric current to drive the salt molecules out of the metal.
他们正在用特殊的化学物质和电流将盐分子从金属中分离出来 。
Without this process, these ancient artifacts would crumble into dust when they left the water.
如果没有这个过程,这些古代文物在离开海水后会碎裂成尘土 。
Everything from the tiniest brass fitting to the largest iron cannon has to be slowly, painstakingly treated with this process.
从最小的黄铜配件到最大的铁炮,所有的东西都必须使用该过程缓慢而精地进行处理 。
And for large object like a cannon, the process can take years.
对于像大炮这样的大型物体,该过程可能需要数年 。
So let me ask you, just out of curiosity…if you took a cannon out of the water and you didn't do anything…
我想问问你,只是出于好奇,如果你把大炮从水里拿出来却什么也没做,
you were just like "hey, check it out, we found a cannon" and you brought it out and maybe cleaned off all the marine growth and just put it in the museum, what would happen?
就像是你说“嘿,快看,我们发现了一门大炮 。”然后就把它拿出来,也许把所有的海洋生物都清理干净后,放进博物馆,会发生什么?
Well, it would look pretty cool for like the first few days.
好吧,前几天看起来会很酷 。
And then after that it would start to rust, and then the salts that had been permeating that iron for many many years is going to start to crystalize as it dries out.
在那之后,它会开始生锈,然后渗透了多年的盐分会随着铁的干涸而开始结晶 。
And then one that happens it will start popping off surfaces.
结晶后的物质就会从表面上弹出 。
And then you have no nice pretty cannon any more.
那样就没有漂亮的大炮了 。
That's why we have to do our process that we do and it does take a good while, but it's actually a payoff in the end if you think about it.
所以我们必须要进行所做过的处理,这确实需要一段时间 。但如果你仔细想想,这样做是有回报的 。
Our cannon were underneath, submerged for almost 300 years.
我们的大炮在海底淹没了近300年 。
To get into a conservation lab, for it to take five or six years to be complete, that's actually not a bad ratio.
想收入保护性试验室,要花上五六年才能完成,其实还不错 。
Next Wendy shows me the largest artifact the team is restoring.
接下来,温迪向我展示了团队正在修复的最大的一件文物 。
It's so big they had to build a huge custom tank for it.
它太大了,他们不得不为它定制一个巨大的水箱 。
We pull off the cover to reveal an anchor.
我们拉开盖子,露出了一个锚 。
This is the anchor that we recovered from the site last May.
这是我们去年五月从现场找到的锚 。
It's 12 feet long and about eight feet, nine feet wide.
它长12英尺,宽约为8、 9英尺 。
After seeing some of the artifacts being preserved, Wendy shows me how they get them out of the concretions.
在看过一些文物被保存下来后,温迪向我展示她们如何把文物从固结物中取出来 。
It starts with an X-ray of the concretion, so the archaeologists can see exactly what is inside them before they start doing any work.
从给固结物拍摄X光开始,考古学家可以在开始进行任何工作前,准确地看到里面是什么 。
This concretion has a couple grenades in it as well as a number of other items.
这个固结物里面有几个手榴弹,还有其他一些东西 。
The X-ray clearly shows the location of the smaller artifacts buried within the concretion.
X射线清楚地显示了埋在固结物中的较小文物的位置 。
So this is an air scribe and I'll turn it on and hopefully it won't hurt your ears.
这是一个空气划片,我要打开它,希望它不会伤到耳朵 。
Next, using an air scribe, Wendy demonstrates how the marine growth is slowly cut away from the artifacts, ever so carefully.
接下来,温迪用空气划片演示了如何缓慢地把海洋生物从这些文物中分离出来,要非常小心 。
Using this technique, over time, thousands of artifacts have come out of concretions, preserved and ready to go into an exhibit.
使用这种技术,随着时间的推移,成千上万的文物从固结物中分离出来,保存下来,准备在展览中展出 。
In fact, right now there are more artifacts than there is space to display them.
事实上,现在拥有的文物数量要比展示它们的空间多 。
This is what's to come as far as going into the museum next.
这就是下一步进博物馆的目的 。
So hopefully you'll see some of these on display soon enough.
希望你能很快看到这些展品 。
I head over to the North Carolina Maritime Museum to check out the Queen Ann's Revenge exhibit, where some of the coolest finds are on display for the public to see.
我前往北卡罗莱纳州的海事博物馆,参观安娜女王复仇号的展览,那里展出了一些最酷的发现,供公众参观 。
There I meet up again with the Nautical Archaeologist David Moore to learn about the exhibit.
我在那再次会见了航海考古学家大卫·摩尔,以了解有关展览的情况 。
What we're weeing here in just this small space is literally just the tip of the iceberg.
我们在这么小的空间里发现的物品,实际上只是冰山一角 。
We've got some 300 unique artifacts just in this one area.
我们在这个地区找到了300件独特的文物 。
Of the material that has been brought up, which is approximately half the site, we have only probably seen maybe ten percent of that material.
在已经找到的物品中,面积大约是试验基地的一半,我们大概只看到了10%的文物 。
And of that ten percent, maybe five percent has been conserved.
而在这10%中,可能有5%会被保存下来 。
You know, we're looking at a fairly large volume of some very fascinating material that's going to be coming to light over the next decade to two decades, of work in the laboratory.
我们正在研究大量非常有趣的材料,这些材料将在未来十到二十年内,在实验室工作中曝光 。
These amazing artifacts now on display have not only shed light on life of the world's most famous pirate,
现在展出的这些令人惊叹的文物不仅揭示了这位世界上最著名的海盗的生活,
but also on the day-to-day happenings on a sailing ship in the 1700s.
也揭示了17世纪帆船上的日常事件 。
And they're here in a museum for all to see and enjoy.
它们现在都在博物馆里供所有人参观和欣赏 。
Through the dedicated work of these archaeologists, underwater, on the water, and in the labs,
通过这些考古学家在水下、水上和实验室里的辛勤工作,
Blackbeard's ship is being slowly excavated, conserved, studied and displayed for future generations.
黑胡子的船正在慢慢地被挖掘、保存、研究,并展示给后人 。
Even though I have only seen a small part of the process, I have come to understand and appreciate just how work and dedication this project has taken.
尽管我只看到了这个过程的一小部分,但我已经开始了解并理解该项目的工作方式和目的 。
Arrrgh!
啊!
Well, I spent me a day with the Queen Anne's Revenge team.
嗯,我和安妮女王复仇号的小组成员共度了一天时间 。
I came out looking for treasure, but what I discovered is…the treasure is the ship!
我出来寻找宝藏,但我发现,宝藏就是这艘船!
Queen Anne's Revenge Script.
安妮女王复仇号 。