(单词翻译:单击)
Coming up next on Jonathan Bird's Blue World, Jonathan visits an underwater farm where they grow coral.
接下来请收看乔纳森·伯德的《蓝色世界》,乔纳森参观了一个水下农场,他们在那里种植珊瑚 。
Hi, I'm Jonathan Bird and welcome to my world!
嗨,我是乔纳森·伯德,欢迎来到我的世界!
Coral reefs are incredibly diverse marine habitats that are important to the health of tropical ocean ecosystems.
珊瑚礁是极其多样的海洋生境,对热带海洋生态系统的健康至关重要 。
Unfortunately, all over the world, coral reefs are being threatened.
不幸的是,世界各地的珊瑚礁生存都面临着威胁 。
Coral is very sensitive to temperature, and water quality.
珊瑚对温度和水质非常敏感 。
In some places, the reefs are not looking very good.
在某些地方,珊瑚礁的状况看起来不太好 。
In the Florida keys, several species of corals, particularly staghorn coral, which grows in shallow water, have been hit hard by a combination of storms, disease and predators.
在佛罗里达州的基拉戈,一些种群的珊瑚,特别是生长在浅水中的鹿角珊瑚,受到风暴、疾病和捕食者的多重打击 。
Ken Nedimyer is doing something about it.
肯·内迪迈尔正在为此而忙碌 。
Ken is the founder of the Coral Restoration Foundation in Key Largo, and he has figured out how farm staghorn coral.
肯是基拉戈珊瑚修复基金会的创立者,他找到了养殖鹿角珊瑚的方法 。
Cameraman Tim and I grab a flight down to Key Largo to meet Ken and learn how his coral farm works.
我和摄影师蒂姆乘飞机到基拉戈去见肯,了解他的珊瑚农场的运作情况 。
We meet up with Ken on a sunny spring morning for a day of checking up on his underwater crops.
我们在一个阳光明媚的春日清晨与肯见面,花一天的时间检查他的水下作物 。
I give him a hand putting his boat in the water.
我帮他把船推入水里 。
Ken takes us less than a mile offshore to the secret location of his coral farm.
肯把我们带到离海岸不到一英里的地方,去看他那神秘的珊瑚农场 。
I thought it might be fun to pick up some corals, kind of show you what we do, pull corals off the trees, tag them, and then bundle them, kinda the whole routine then we'll take them out and plant them on the reef…
我想去捡一些珊瑚可能很有趣,给你看看我们在做什么,把珊瑚从枝上拔下来,给它们贴上标签,然后捆好,就像往常那样去做,然后再把它们拿出来,种在珊瑚礁上
I thought I was just going to observe, but clearly Ken has plans to try to get some useful work out of me!
我以为只是去看看,但很显然,肯计划好让我去做一些有用的工作!
In fact, he is always looking for volunteers to lend a hand.
事实上,他总在找志愿者来帮忙 。
We arrive on site and Ken ties up to his mooring.
我们到达农场,肯把船泊好 。
Next I get a briefing on what to expect underwater and what I'll be doing to help.
接下来,肯给我简单介绍了一下水下会发生的事情,以及我怎么帮忙 。
Ken's weightbelt contains an unusual assortment of tools for a scuba diver.
肯的腰带里有一件不寻常的潜水工具 。
In case we see sharks!
以防我们看到鲨鱼!
Next it's time to suit up and hit the water!
接下来该穿上潜水服下水了!
The coral farm is only 25 feet deep, and it doesn't look like any coral reef I have ever seen.
珊瑚农场只有25英尺深,看起来不像我见过的任何珊瑚礁 。
The coral is being grown on structures that Ken calls coral trees.
珊瑚生长在肯称之为珊瑚树的架构上 。
These grunts are already treating the coral trees like reefs!
这些小鱼已经把珊瑚树当成珊瑚礁了!
Each coral tree has a bunch of small pieces of staghorn coral hanging off of it like Christmas tree ornaments.
每棵珊瑚树上都挂着一串鹿角珊瑚,就像圣诞树上的装饰品 。
Over time, the corals get larger and larger, until they start to crowd each other.
随着时间的推移,珊瑚变得越来越大,直到它们开始相互挤压 。
What Ken and I are going to do, is thin out the large pieces.
我和肯要做的就是修剪大块的珊瑚 。
Ken shows me the technique.
肯向我演示了这项技术 。
Basically, he is snipping off pieces of coral with a pair of wire cutters.
他是用一对钢丝钳剪掉珊瑚枝 。
Next, it's my turn, and it doesn't feel right to be breaking coral.
接下来轮到我了,剪掉珊瑚枝感觉不太好 。
This goes against everything I have ever been taught!
这和我接受的教育不同!
But Ken assured me that it was OK for the coral on the farm.
但肯向我保证,对于农场里的珊瑚,这样做没有问题 。
But we aren't going to throw away these coral cuttings.
但我们不会扔掉这些剪下来的珊瑚枝 。
Next, Ken and I are tying short sections of fishing line on all the pieces I cut off.
接下来,我和肯在切下来的所有珊瑚枝上系上一小段鱼线 。
Then we start hanging the cuttings on a tree.
随后,我们开始把这些剪下来的枝挂在树上 。
Over the next year they will grow as large as the pieces they were cut from!
在接下来的一年里,它们将长得和珊瑚树一样大!
A local trumpetfish comes in to inspect our work.
一只当地的喇叭鱼来视察我们的工作 。
And a resident grouper hides under one of Ken's experiments.
还有一只石斑鱼藏在肯正在进行的一项实验设施中 。