(单词翻译:单击)
I never planned to become a climate activist.
我从没打算成为气候活动者。
But things have changed, and now, standing here as a climate activist, I ask you all to become one, too.
但情况有变,现在,我作为气候活动者站在这里,并请求大家也成为其中的一员。
Here's why, and most importantly, how.
接下来是为什么,以及最重要的,怎么做。
Ten years ago, when I was 13 years old, I first learned about the greenhouse effect.
十年前,我十三岁的时候,第一次听说温室效应。
Back then, we spent 90 minutes on this issue,
当时,我们在这个问题上只花了九十分钟,
and I remember finding it quite irritating that something so fundamental would be squeezed into a single geography lesson.
我记得特别生气,因为这么重大的问题,竟然被压缩成了一堂地理课。
Some of this irritation remained, so when I graduated from high school, I decided to study geography,
我的怒气一直没消退,所以当我从高中毕业后,我决定攻读地理学,
just to make sure I was on the right track with this whole climate change thing.
只是为了确保我紧随整个气候变化的情况。
And this is when everything changed.
一切就此改变。
This was the first time I looked at the data, at the science behind the climate crisis, and I couldn't believe what I was reading.
当我第一次观察数据,看到气候危机背后的科学时,我无法相信我所看到的。
Like many of you, I thought that the planet wasn't really in a good state.
像你们中的很多人一样,我觉得地球的状况并不是很好。
I had no idea that we are rushing into this self-made disaster in such a rapid pace.
但我完全不知道,我们正如此迅速地奔向自造的大灾难。
There was also the first time I understood what difference it makes when you consider the bigger picture.
那也是我第一次认识到站在更大的维度看问题是多么不同。
Take the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere, for instance, the number one driver for global warming.
以大气中二氧化碳浓度为例,全球变暖的第一元凶。
Yes, this looks bad. This looks like we are on a pretty bad track.
是的,看起来很糟。我们似乎正走在一条非常糟糕的路线上。
But it's only once you don't just consider the last 60 years
但当你不只考虑过去六十年,
but the last 10,000 years that you understand how terrifying this really is.
而是过去一万年,你才会理解情况到底有多么吓人。
And this is just one aspect of the crisis we're seeing.
而这仅仅是气候危机的其中一个方面。
I'm not going to get into details here, but let me tell you so much:
我不打算阐述细节,但让我这样告诉各位:
we are in a point of history that the most destructive force on the planet is humanity itself.
在这个历史时刻,地球上大部分的破坏力来自人类自身。
We are in a point of history that no scientist could guarantee you that you will survive this.
在这个历史时刻,没有科学家能保证你会存活。
We are in a point of history that humanity is creating an environment that's not safe for humans anymore.
在这个历史时刻,人类制造着一个威胁自身的环境。
Yeah, there I was, first year of geography, and felt pretty overwhelmed.
是的,这就是我第一年学习地理时窒息无力的感受。
But... there was good news. The very same year I first learned about all this,
但...还是发生了好事情的。就在同一年,我获悉了这些,
leaders from across the globe came together in Paris to decide on the common target to limit global warming to below two degrees.
世界各国的领袖齐聚巴黎,设定了共同的目标,限制全球变暖不超过两度。
Pictures went around the world, and I was told that history was made that day. How relieving, right?
会议的照片传遍世界,人们告诉我,历史在那天创造。很安慰人心,对吧?
Except... something didn't quite work out about this.
但是...事态的发展并不如人意。
After this agreement was signed, things didn't really get better. Actually, they got much worse.
目标协定签署后,情况并没有好转。事实上,变得更糟了。
Decision makers and industries, leaders and politicians, they went back to business as usual,
决策制定者、工业界、国家领袖和政客,他们开完会回去照常办产业,
exploiting our livelihoods like there is literally no tomorrow, building coal power plants again and again,
像是没有明天一样贪婪榨取我们的生计,建造一座又一座的火力发电站,
even though we know that needs to stop, according to the Paris Agreement.
即便他们明知《巴黎协议》上这些行为是被禁止的。
So while there are also good developments, of course
诚然,有一些好的发展,
there are installations of wind and solar energy all over the globe, yes
风能和太阳能发电设施在全球逐渐增加,
but these positive changes are slow -- too slow, in fact.
但这些积极的变化很慢--太慢了。
So since the Paris Agreement was signed, climate graphs keep racing to the top, smashing records every year.
所以,《巴黎协议》签署后,气候恶化的趋势依然向上飙升,每年都在刷新记录。
The five hottest years ever recorded were the previous five years, and at no time have global emissions been higher than today.
记载中最热的五年,就是过去这五年,如今的全球温室气体排放量达到历史最高。
So there I was, seeing and understanding the science on the one side,
所以,一方面,我接触并理解着这一切的科学原理,
but not seeing answers, not seeing the action, on the other side.
另一方面我却没有看到答案和行动。
At that point, I had enough. I wanted to go to the UN Climate Conference myself,
因此,我受够了。我决定亲自去联合国气候大会,
that very place that was created to bring people together to fix the climate -- except not really, apparently.
那个为聚人类之力以应对气候问题而生的组织--显然它没做到。
This was last year. I traveled to the Climate Conference and wanted to find out what this is really like, what this is about.
这是在去年。我前往联合国气候大会探寻到底发生了什么。
For political realists, this might be no surprise, but I found it hard to bear:
对于政治现实主义者,这可能并不很惊讶,但我感到难以忍受:
that fossil fuel industries and political leaders are doing everything, everything to prevent real change from happening.
化石燃料产业和政治领袖们正在尽一切可能避免发生真正的改变。
They are not keen to set targets that are ambitious enough to put us on a below-two-degree pathway.
他们并不热衷于设定野心勃勃的目标来实现每年低于两度暖化的目标。
After all, these are the only ones who benefit from this climate crisis, right?
毕竟,他们是气候危机的唯一受益者,不是吗?
The fossil fuel industry generates profits, and political leaders, well, they look at the next election,
化石燃料产业产生着大量利润,领袖们紧盯着下一次选举,
at what makes them popular, and I guess that's not asking the inconvenient questions.
只顾着让自己受欢迎,更不可能去问令人为难的问题。
There is no intention for them to change the game.
他们并不打算改变局势。
There is no country in the world where either companies or political powers are sanctioned for wrecking the climate.
毕竟世界上没有任何一个国家的企业或政府,因为破坏气候而受到制裁。
With all the strangeness and the sadness about this conference,
就在这次大会的荒谬与悲哀上演之后,
there was one someone who was different, someone who seemed to be quite worried, and that was Greta Thunberg.
有个与众不同的人站了出来,看起来十分担忧,她就是格蕾塔·通贝里。
I decided right there that everything else seemed hopeless and didn't seem to make sense,
我当下就认定,其他选项似乎都没有希望,也行不通,
so I joined her climate strike right there at the conference.
于是我加入了她的气候罢课运动。
It was my very first climate strike ever and an incredibly strange setting, just me and her sitting there at this conference hall,
那是我人生第一次参与气候罢课,当时的场面很奇怪,只有我和她坐在会议厅,
surrounded by this busyness of the suit-wearing conference crowd who had no idea what to do with us.
周围是一群身着西装的会议人员,对我们束手无策。
And yet, this felt more powerful than anything I had expected in a very long time.
不过,我感受到了一股力量,比任何曾感受过的都更强烈。
And it was right there that I felt it was maybe time to start striking in Germany.
于是从那时我开始思考,或许是时候在德国来一场罢课了。
I was now certain that no one else was going to fix this for us,
我非常确定,没有人会来帮我们解决气候问题,
and if there was just the slightest chance that this could make a difference, it seemed almost foolish not to give it a go.
如果我能让情况有些许不同,即便只是最微小的改变,那么不去尝试便是愚蠢的。
So I... So I traveled back to Berlin.
于是我...于是我回到柏林,
I found allies who had the same idea at the same time, and together we thought we'd give this "Fridays For Future" thing a go.
找到了志同道合的盟友,打算共同发起“周五为未来”的活动。
Obviously, we had no idea what we were getting into.
显然,我们不知道该怎么做。
Before our first strike, many of us, including me, had never organized a public demonstration or any kind of protest before.
在第一次罢课之前,许多人,包括我,对如何组织公共抗议都毫无经验。
We had no money, no resources and absolutely no idea what climate striking really is.
我们没有钱,没有资源,对气候罢课没有任何概念。
So we started doing what we were good at:
于是我们开始做擅长的事:
we started texting, texting en masse, night and day, everyone we could reach, organizing our first climate strike via WhatsApp.
我们开始联系他人,齐心协力、不分昼夜地联系能接触到的每一个人,在WhatsApp上组织了第一次气候罢课。
The night before our first strike, I was so nervous I couldn't sleep.
罢课活动前的那个晚上,我紧张得睡不着。
I didn't know what to expect, but I expected the worst.
我不知道该期待什么,但我想到了最坏的结果。
Maybe it was because we weren't the only ones who had been longing to have a voice in a political environment
或许因为我们不是唯一渴望向政治环境发声,
that had seemingly forgotten how to include young people's perspective into decision-making, maybe.
却似乎已被忽略、无法参与决策的年轻人。
But somehow this worked out. And from one day to the other, we were all over the place.
但我们成功了。两天之内,我们出现在德国的每个角落。
And I, from one day to the other, became a climate activist.
并且,我在这两天里,成为了一个气候活动者。
Usually, in these kind of TED Talks, I would now say how it's overly hopeful,
通常来说,在这类TED演讲中,我现在应该要开始说未来多么有希望,
how we young people are going to get this sorted, how we're going to save the future and the planet and everything else,
我们年轻人将如何解决这些问题,我们将会如何拯救未来,拯救世界,
how we young people striking for the climate are going to fix this.
我们将会如何靠气候罢课而解决气候难题。
Usually. But this is not how this works. This is not how this crisis works.
通常是这样。但事实不是这样的。这不是气候危机的运作方式。
Here's a twist: today, three and a half years after that Paris Agreement was signed,
现实情况是,如今,《巴黎协议》签订三年半后,
when we look at the science, we find it's still possible to keep global warming to below two degrees -- technically.
当我们着眼于科学,会发现想要控制暖化两度以下还是有可能的--理论上。
And we also see it's still possible to hold other disastrous developments we're seeing,
我们也看到了阻碍其它灾难发展的可能,
such as mass extinction and soil degradation -- yes, technically.
例如物种灭绝和土壤退化--是的,理论上。
It's just incredibly, incredibly unlikely.
只是可能性非常非常小。
And in any case, the world would have to see changes which we have never experienced before.
不论如何,这个世界需要看到前所未有的改变。
We'd have to fully decarbonize our economies by 2050 and transform the distribution of powers
我们需要在2050年以前将碳从经济贡献中去除,改变权力分配,
that is currently allowing those fossil fuel giants and political leaders to stay on top of the game.
让那些燃煤巨头和政治领袖们不再处于权力顶尖位置。
We are talking of nothing less than the greatest transformation since the Industrial Revolution.
我们正在说的是自工业革命后一场史无前例的巨大转变。
We are talking, if you want to put it that way, we are talking of a climate revolution in a minimum amount of time.
或者,如果你想这么说,我们在说的是极短时间内的一场气候革命。
We wouldn't have a single further year to lose.
我们再输不起一年了。
And in any case, for any of that change to happen,
无论如何,为了实现任何一项改变,
the world needs to stop relying on one or two or three million school strikers to sort this out.
这个世界不能单靠几百万学生的罢课来解决问题。
Yes, we are great, we are going to keep going, and we are going to go to places no one ever expected us, yes.
是的,我们很棒,我们会坚持下去,我们会去到那些人们本不期望我们到达的地方。
But we are not the limit; we are the start.
但我们不是终点,我们是开端。
This is not a job for a single generation. This is a job for humanity.
这不是某一代人的事业,这是全人类的事业。
And this is when all eyes are on you. For this change to happen, we will have to get one million things sorted.
这是个所有人寄望于你的时刻。为了让改变发生,我们要解决一百万个问题。
It's an incredibly complex thing, after all.
这确实是个无比复杂的事情。
But... there are some things that everyone can get started with.
但...每个人都可以从一些小事做起。
Bad news first: if you thought I would tell you now to cycle more or eat less meat,
坏消息是:如果你以为我要告诉你更多的循环利用,或者少吃肉,
to fly less, or to go secondhand shopping, sorry, this is not that easy.
少乘坐飞机或者去二手市场购物,抱歉,没有那么简单。
But here comes the good news: you are more than consumers and shoppers,
但好消息是:你不只是消费者和购物者,
even though the industry would like you to keep yourselves limited to that.
即便业界希望你止步于此。
No; me and you -- we are all political beings, and we can all be part of this answer.
不。我和你们--我们都是政治的一员,我们都能书写答案。
We can all be something that many people call climate activists. Yay?
我们能成为所谓的气候活动者。是吧?
So what are the first steps? Four first steps that are essential to get everything else done,
那么要如何开始呢?有四点是完成其他事情的关键,
four first steps that everyone can get started with, four first steps that decide about everything that can happen after.
这四点每个人都可以开始去做,这四点决定了之后的所有事情。
So what's that? Number one: we need to drastically reframe our understanding of a climate activist,
那么是什么呢?第一:我们需要快速转变对气候活动者的认识,
our understanding of who can be the answer to this.
重新理解谁能成为气候问题的答案。
A climate activist isn't that one person that's read every single study
气候活动者不是那些阅读每一项研究,
and is now spending every afternoon handing out leaflets about vegetarianism in shopping malls.
然后每个下午在商场门口发放素食主义传单的人。
No. A climate activist can be everyone, everyone who wants to join a movement of those who intend to grow old on a planet
不。气候活动者可以是任何人,任何只要他们希望活在一个
that prioritizes protection of natural environments and happiness and health for the many
以保护自然环境和保障大多数人类健康幸福为宗旨的世界,
over the destruction of the climate and the wrecking of the planet for the profits of the few.
而不是破坏气候,摧毁地球,而让少数人获利。
And since the climate crisis is affecting every single part of our social, of our political and of our private life,
因为气候危机正影响着社会政治生活和个人生活的每个环节,
we need climate activists everywhere on every corner,
气候活动者需要出现在每个地方每个角落,
not only in every room, but also in every city and country and state and continent.
不仅是每间屋子,更是每个城市、每个国家、每个州、每块大陆。
Second: I need you to get out of that zone of convenience, away from a business as usual that has no tomorrow.
第二:我们需要跳出舒适圈,远离一切没有未来的商业活动。
All of you here, you are either a friend or a family member, you are a worker,
在场的各位是朋友或家人,你们也是从业者,
a colleague, a student, a teacher or, in many cases, a voter.
同事,学生,老师,或者,在更多情况下,你们是选民。
All of this comes along with a responsibility that this crisis requires you to grow up to.
这些都伴随着责任,气候危机需要你投身帮助。
There's the company that employs you or that sponsors you. Is it on track of meeting the Paris Agreement?
那些雇佣你或者赞助你的公司,它们有没有遵守《巴黎协议》?
Does your local parliamentarian know that you care about this, that you want this to be a priority in every election?
你们当地的议员知道你关心气候问题并希望将其作为选举的主要参考吗?
Does your best friend know about this? Do you read a newspaper or write a newspaper? Great.
你最好的朋友了解气候问题吗?你阅读报纸,或者撰写报刊吗?这很好。
Then let them know you want them to report on this in every issue,
那就让他们知道你想要在每一期报道气候问题,
and that you want them to challenge decision makers in every single interview.
想要在每次采访中质询决策制定者。
If you're a singer, sing about this. If you're a teacher, teach about this.
如果你是歌手,那么歌唱它;如果你是教师,那么传授它;
And if you have a bank account, tell your bank you're going to leave if they keep investing in fossil fuels.
如果你有银行账户,告诉银行如果他们继续投资化石燃料那么你就要取消账户。
And, of course, on Fridays, you should all know what to do.
还有在星期五,你知道该怎么做。
Thirdly: leaving that zone of convenience works best when you join forces.
第三:人多力量大。
One person asking for inconvenient change is mostly inconvenient.
一个人发出改变的诉求将是困难的;
Two, five, ten, one hundred people asking for inconvenient change are hard to ignore.
但两个,五个,十个,一百个人发出诉求,就难以被忽略。
The more you are, the harder it gets for people to justify a system that has no future.
人数越多,人们就越难替没有未来的系统开脱。
Power is not something that you either have or don't have.
力量并不是单纯的有,或没有。
Power is something you either take or leave to others, and it grows once you share it.
力量是你可以争取,或放弃的东西,而一旦传递,力量便壮大。
We young people on the streets, we school strikers, we are showing how this can work out.
我们这些街头的年轻人,罢课学生,我们证明了这是可行的。
One single school striker will always be one single school striker -- well, Greta Thunberg.
一个罢课学生将永远只是一个人--就像格蕾塔·通贝里。
Two, five, ten, one thousand people striking school are a movement, and that's what we need everywhere. No pressure.
但两个,五个,十个,一千个学生一起参与的运动,就是我们想要的。不要有压力。
And number four, finally -- and this is probably the most important aspect of all of this
最后,第四:或许是最重要的一点,
I need you to start taking yourselves more seriously.
我需要你们更认真的看待自己。
If there's one thing I've learned during seven months of organizing climate action,
如果说我在7个月的组织气候运动中学到了什么,
it's that if you don't go for something, chances are high that no one else will.
那就是,如果你不主动追求,很有可能没有人会去做了。
The most powerful institutions of this world have no intention of changing the game they're profiting from most,
这个世界最有权力的机构不会想要改变使其利益最大化的游戏规则,
so there's no point in further relying on them. That's scary, I know.
所以再依赖他们没有意义。这很吓人,我知道。
That's a huge responsibility, a huge burden on everyone's shoulders, yes.
这是巨大的责任,是每个人肩头沉重的负担。
But this also means, if we want to, we can have a say in this.
但同时也意味着,如果我们想,我们就有发言权。
We can be part of that change. We can be part of that answer. And that's quite beautiful, right?
我们能成为改变的一部分,我们能成为答案的一部分。这很美好,对吧?
So let's give it a try, let's rock and roll, let's flood the world with climate activists.
所以不如试一试,大干一场,让这个世界充满气候活动者。
Let's get out of the zones of convenience and join forces and start taking ourselves more seriously.
让我们跳出舒适圈,联合起来,重视自己的力量。
Imagine what this world would look like, where children would grow up,
想象一下世界将会如何,以后的孩子们,
knowing their future was this one great adventure to look forward to and nothing to be scared of,
知道他们未来的成长将是一场精彩的冒险,令人期待,无所畏惧;
what this world would look like when the next climate conference is this great happening of people who come together,
下一次的气候大会,将会是人们齐聚一堂,
who had heard the voices of millions, who would then roll up their sleeves, ready to create real change.
代表世界百万人的声音,然后撸起袖子,创造全新的改变。
You know, I dream of this world where geography classes teach about the climate crisis as this one greatest challenge that was won by people like you and me,
想象一下,我梦想的世界中,地理课上会把气候危机介绍成历史上人类战胜的最伟大挑战,
who had started acting in time because they understood they had nothing to lose and everything to win.
因为我们及时行动,因为我们明白没有退路,唯有胜利。
So why not give it a go? No one else will save the future for us.
所以为什么不行动起来呢?不要指望别人来拯救我们的未来。
This is more than an invitation. Spread the word. Thank you.
这不仅是一个邀请,请大家向世界传播出去。谢谢大家。