经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第459期
日期:2019-10-17 10:37

(单词翻译:单击)

"And what, sir," I asked, while he paused, "did you do when you had settled her here? Where did you go?"
“那么,先生,”趁他顿住时我问,“你把她安顿在这里后,自己干了什么呢?你上哪儿去了?”
"What did I do, Jane? I transformed myself into a will-o'-the-wisp.
“我干了什么吗,简?我让自己变成了一个形踪不定的人。
Where did I go? I pursued wanderings as wild as those of the March-spirit.
我上哪儿去了?我像沼泽地的精灵那样东游西荡。
I sought the Continent, and went devious through all its lands.
我去了欧洲大陆,迂回曲折穿越了那里所有的国家。
My fixed desire was to seek and find a good and intelligent woman,
我打定主意找一个我可以爱她的出色聪明的女人,
whom I could love: a contrast to the fury I left at Thornfield..."
与我留在桑菲尔德的泼妇恰成对比...”
"But you could not marry, sir."
“但你不能结婚,先生。”
"I had determined and was convinced that I could and ought.
“我决心而且深信我能够结婚,也应该结婚。

经典文学《简·爱》

It was not my original intention to deceive, as I have deceived you.
我虽然己经骗了你,但欺骗不是我的初衷。
I meant to tell my tale plainly, and make my proposals openly:
我打算将自己的事儿坦诚相告,公开求婚,
and it appeared to me so absolutely rational that I should be considered free to love and be loved,
我应当被认为有爱和被爱的自由,在我看来这是绝对合理的。
I never doubted some woman might be found willing and able to understand my case and accept me,
我从不怀疑能找到某个女人,愿意并理解我的处境,接纳我,
in spite of the curse with which I was burdened."
尽管我背着该诅咒的包袱。”
"Well, sir?"
“那么,先生?”
"When you are inquisitive, Jane, you always make me smile.
“当你刨根究底时,简,你常常使我发笑。
You open your eyes like an eager bird, and make every now and then a restless movement,
你像一只急切的小鸟那样张开眼睛,时而局促不安地动来动去,
as if answers in speech did not flow fast enough for you, and you wanted to read the tablet of one's heart.
仿佛口头回答的语速太慢,你还想读一读人家心上的铭文。

分享到