(单词翻译:单击)
Finally, We harvest a dozen or so large pieces of staghorn coral and head back to the boat.
最后,我们采集了十几块大块的鹿角珊瑚,然后回到船上 。
That is a very impressive operation.
这是一次令人印象深刻的活动 。
There is a lot of coral growing down there and it seems really happy to be growing on those little coral trees.
那里生长着很多的珊瑚,看起来能在那些珊瑚树上生长似乎是件很开心的事 。
Very neat.
一切都井井有条 。
Back on the boat, I fill a tub with water.
回到船上后,我给水桶装满水 。
This is the coral that we're going to transplant.
这就是我们要移植的珊瑚 。
You know you let them grow out, then you cut them off, and hang more up and let them grow out…
要让它们长大,然后把它们剪下来,再挂上更多的珊瑚枝,让它们发芽 。
Everything out there started with…all the coral would have filled in this bucket.
农场里生长的所有珊瑚都曾被装在这个桶里 。
Really?
真的吗?
Next we move the boat a few hundred yards to a reef where we will transplant the coral we just harvested.
接下来,我们把船开到几百码远的暗礁处,我们要在那把刚采到的珊瑚进行移植 。
So this is a reef called Snapper ledge, and there's a big ledge on it and there's lots of fish usually.
这是一个叫做“鲷鱼礁”的暗礁,上面有一个很大的礁架,通常有很多鱼 。
But there's hardly any staghorn coral.
但这里几乎没有鹿角珊瑚 。
You know a lot of people ask why we roll backwards off the boat.
很多人都会问我们为什么要向后滑 。
And the answer is quite simple: because if you roll forwards, you're still in the boat.
答案很简单,因为如果你向前滑,就仍然在船上 。
It's pretty amazing.
真是太神奇了 。
I don't think many people get to do this.
我认为很多人都不会这样做 。
I'm going to be part of making a new reef!
我要参与制作一个新的珊瑚礁!
Down on the bottom, Ken leads me to a barren section of reef that could definitely use some staghorn coral!
在海底,肯带我来到一个贫瘠的礁石地带,肯定可以在这种一些鹿角珊瑚!
He starts by scraping off algae and marine growth to clear a section for the newly transplanted coral.
他先清除藻类和海洋生物,为新移植的珊瑚腾出一块地方 。
Next he mixes up a putty-like glob of epoxy that can cure underwater.
接下来,他混合了一种能在水下固化的腻子状环氧树脂 。
Then he presses the staghorn coral into the epoxy.
然后,他把鹿角珊瑚按入环氧树脂中 。
In a few hours it will be stuck permanently.
再过几小时,它就会永远长在那里 。
Now it's my turn to try the same technique with the next piece.
现在,轮到我尝试用相同的技术移植下一块 。
If I don't scrape all the way down to bare rock, then the epoxy won't stick and the coral will most likely die.
如果我没有一直刮到露出岩石,那么环氧树脂就无法粘住,珊瑚很可能会死亡 。
Ken and I plant about a dozen pieces of staghorn together in an area about 4 feet across.
我和肯在大约四英尺宽的地方一起种了十几片鹿角珊瑚 。
It takes about half an hour for the two of us to plant all the coral we brought down.
我们两人花了大约半个小时才把拿下去的所有珊瑚都种好 。
And when we're done, the fish are already moving in to their new habitat.
当我们弄完后,鱼儿已经游入它们新的栖息地 。
This is a piece of staghorn coral that Ken planted a year ago.
这是肯一年前种植的鹿角珊瑚 。
It has already grown over the epoxy and into the reef.
它已经长出环氧树脂,长进礁石中 。
It's doing well and growing quickly.
长势良好,而且生长并迅速 。
With our mission complete, we head back to the boat.
我们完成任务后,就回到船上 。
Thanks to the work of Ken Nedimyer, we now know that at least some species of coral can be farmed and used to replant damaged reefs.
多亏了肯·内迪迈尔所做的工作,我们现在知道至少有一些珊瑚物种能够人工养殖,可以用来重新补种受损的珊瑚礁 。
While this technique doesn't address the threats to coral, it does provide a new method for restoring damaged reefs.
虽然这种技术没有解决珊瑚面对的威胁,但它确实提供了一种恢复受损珊瑚礁的新方法 。