经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第419期
日期:2019-08-08 08:21

(单词翻译:单击)

An inaudible reply escaped Mason's white lips.
从梅森苍白的唇间吐出了几乎听不见的回答。
"The devil is in it if you cannot answer distinctly. I again demand, what have you to say?"
“要是你回答不清,那就见鬼去吧,我再次要求,你有什么要说的?”
"Sir -- sir," interrupted the clergyman, "do not forget you are in a sacred place."
“先生--先生,”牧师插话了,“别忘了你在一个神圣的地方。”
Then addressing Mason, he inquired gently, "Are you aware, sir, whether or not this gentleman's wife is still living?"
随后他转向梅森,和颜悦色地说,“你知道吗,先生,这位先生的妻子是不是还活着?”
"Courage," urged the lawyer, -- "speak out."
“胆子大些,”律师怂恿着,“说出来。”
"She is now living at Thornfield Hall," said Mason, in more articulate tones:
“她现在住在桑菲尔德府,”梅森用更为清晰的声调说,
"I saw her there last April. I am her brother."
“四月份我还见过她。我是她弟弟。”

经典文学《简·爱》

"At Thornfield Hall!" ejaculated the clergyman.
“在桑菲尔德府!”牧师失声叫道。
"Impossible! I am an old resident in this neighbourhood, sir, and I never heard of a Mrs. Rochester at Thornfield Hall."
“不可能!我是这一带的老住客,先生,从来没有听到桑菲尔德府有一个叫罗切斯特太太的人。”
I saw a grim smile contort Mr. Rochester's lips, and he muttered:
我看见一阵狞笑扭曲了罗切斯特先生的嘴唇,他咕哝道:
"No, by God! I took care that none should hear of it -- or of her under that name."
“不,天哪!我十分小心,不让人知道有这么回事,或者知道她叫那个名字。”
He mused -- for ten minutes he held counsel with himself: he formed his resolve, and announced it:
他沉思起来,琢磨了十来分钟,于是打定主意宣布道:
"Enough! all shall bolt out at once, like the bullet from the barrel.
“行啦--一切都一齐窜出来了,就像子弹出了枪膛。
Wood, close your book and take off your surplice;
沃德,合上你的书本,脱下你的法衣吧,
John Green (to the clerk), leave the church: there will be no wedding to-day." The man obeyed.
约翰·格林(面向执事)离开教堂吧。今天不举行婚礼了。”这人照办了。

分享到