(单词翻译:单击)
Making my way towards one of the masts, I observe a lot of encrusting marine growth.
我朝着其中一根桅杆游去,发现有很多海洋生物结垢 。
One of the antennae is covered in the same growth.
其中一根天线被同样的生长物所覆盖 。
While the reef is growing well, it still looks like a ship.
当珊瑚礁生长良好时,它看起来仍然像一艘船 。
Four years underwater has allowed the ocean to partially reclaim the ship.
四年时间,大海已经一定程度上的改变了这艘船的样子 。
There is a thin layer of marine growth, and the fish are starting to call the ship home.
海洋中生长着一层薄薄的生物,鱼们开始把船称为家 。
Soon it's time to head up to the top of the mast where the mooring line is tied.
很快去到系缆绳的桅杆顶端了 。
Fighting the current, I make my way to the line that will lead me safely back to the boat.
与水流搏斗,我来到缆绳这,把我安全地带回到潜水船上 。
The next day, we head north up the keys to Key Largo.
第二天,我们朝北去往基拉戈 。
Key Largo has some world-famous wrecks.
基拉戈上有一些世界闻名的沉船残骸 。
We stop in at Horizon Divers, Key Largo wreck diving experts.
我们顺便访问造访地平线潜水俱乐部,这里有基拉戈沉船潜水专家们 。
Tim and I load our gear onto the boat.
蒂姆和我把装备装到船上 。
Soon we're on our way, navigating through the canals to the open ocean on a beautiful Keys day.
很快我们就上路了,在一个美丽日子里,我们沿着运河航行到开阔的海域 。
We arrive at the wreck of the Speigel Grove.
我们到达了斯皮格尔·格鲁夫号残骸 。
A slightly older wreck, the Speigel Grove was sunk in 2002.
斯皮格尔·格鲁夫号是一艘稍旧的沉船,沉于2002年 。
As the crew ties the boat up to one of the mooring lines, I'm getting suited up for my dive.
当船员们把船系在一根系缆绳上时,我穿上潜水服准备潜水 。
So this is the wreck of the Speigel Grove.
这就是斯皮格尔·格鲁夫号残骸 。
It's eleven years old—a little bit older than the Vandenberg.
它有十一年了,比范登堡号大一点 。
Let's go see what it looks like.
我们去看看它是什么样子 。
As I follow the mooring line down through the blue water, the first thing I see is the top of a mast.
当我沿着系缆绳穿过蓝色的海水时,我先看到的是桅杆的顶部 。
Looking closer, I can see quite a bit of sponge and coral growth here, as well as fish.
再近一点,我可以看到这里有很多海绵、珊瑚,还有鱼 。
Deeper on the wreck, a school of Jacks regard me with indifference as I make my way towards the main deck.
在沉船的深处,当我游向主甲板时,一群小鱼对我完全不理不睬 。
This eleven year old wreck definitely shows much more marine growth than the four year old Vandenberg.
这个沉龄十一年的残骸确实比四岁的范登堡号带有更多的海洋生物 。
And there seem to be more fish.
鱼似乎也更多 。
The presence of smaller fish has attracted predators like barracuda.
小鱼的出现吸引了像梭鱼这样的捕食者 。
Some sections of the wreck are so overgrown with sponges and coral that they are completely unidentifiable.
残骸的某些部分长满了海绵和珊瑚,完全无法辨认 。
And while I definitely know I'm diving a shipwreck, it's undeniable that nature is taking this man-made object back.
虽然我清楚地知道自己是在沉船中潜水,但不可否认的是,大自然把这个人造物体改造回来了 。
There is also no denying that exploring a shipwreck is fun.
不可否认,探索沉船是一件趣事 。
Since the Speigel Grove was prepared in advance for divers just like the Vandenberg, it is safe for exploration.
因为斯皮格尔·格鲁夫号就像范登堡号一样,是为潜水员探索而准备的,所以是安全的 。
Inside a hole in the deck, I find….wait for it…a bathroom!
甲板上有个洞,我发现,等等,这是一个浴室!
Of course, I explore another set of stairs.
我又探索了另一组阶梯 。
I'm rising up to the top of the wreck on my way back to the surface.
返回海面时,我游过残骸的顶部 。
These ships are so big that they have to be sunk in fairly deep water so they don't stick up and pose a threat to boats on the surface.
这些船太大了,必须沉到非常深的海中,这样它们就不会竖起来,对海面上的船只构成威胁 。
As a result the dives tend to be around a hundred feet deep, which limits bottom time.
因此,潜水深度往往在100英尺左右,这限制了时间底线 。
I spend a few minutes doing a safety decompression stop on the mooring line just under the surface while I contemplate the wreck.
我花了几分钟在海面下的系缆绳上做一下安全减压,那时我在想沉船的事 。
You know, for being only eleven years old, that wreck has a lot of marine growth—it's really pretty, but not a lot of schools of fish.
这艘沉船只有十一年,所以它的海洋生长物很多,非常漂亮,但没有很多鱼群 。
This of course makes me wonder what would an even older wreck look like?
我就在想,更古老的沉船残骸会是什么样子?
Our captain drives us a few miles to another, even older wreck, the Duane.
我们的船长把我们带到几英里以外的另一条沉船处,这条更古老,它叫杜安号 。
120 feet beneath this boat is the wreck of the Duane, which is 25 years old!
这艘船下面120英尺处就是25年沉龄的杜安号残骸了!
I'm really curious to see what a 25 year old shipwreck looks like.
我真的很好奇,想看看一艘25年的沉船是什么样子 。
Down on the wreck, I make a beeline for the bridge, known to be one of the most beautiful parts of the Duane.
在沉船上,我径直游向桥接处,这里被认为是杜安号最美的一个地方 。
Inside I discover a refuge for fish completely decorated with sponges and coral.
在里面我发现了一个完全用海绵和珊瑚装饰的鱼儿避难所 。
The walls look nothing like the plain metal of 25 years ago.
这些墙看起来一点也不像25年前的普通金属 。
Now they are splashed in yellow, red, orange and pink pastels.
现在它们表面溅着黄色、红色、橙色和粉色的粉彩 。
Leaving the bridge, I investigate yet another staircase, still recognizable as such, but so overgrown with sponges and coral that it now looks more like an abstract sculpture.
离开桥接后,我又探索了另一个阶梯,它仍然可以辨认,但是长满了海绵和珊瑚,看起来更像一个抽象的雕塑 。
Everywhere I look, the wreck has grown thick colonies of cup corals.
我看到的每一处,都长出了厚厚的杯状珊瑚群 。
And under every overhang, a school of fish, hiding from predators.
在每个悬垂处,都有一群鱼在躲避掠食者 。
The fish don't know this was once a warship.
鱼不知道这曾经是一艘军舰 。
For them, it's just a great place to live, like any other reef.
对它们来说,这只是像其他珊瑚礁一样,是个很好的生活地 。
It seems that 25 years old is a good vintage for an artificial reef.
25岁似乎对于人工礁来说,是个好年份 。
All too soon the dive must come to an end and I head back towards the mooring line to the boat.
很快潜水就要结束了,我沿着系缆绳回到小船上去 。
My adventures on shipwrecks have been illuminating.
我在沉船上的冒险经历给了我很多启示 。
What I have learned is that the Vandenberg has a bright future as an artificial reef as the years go by.
我所学到的是,随着时上间的推移,作为人工礁的范登堡号有着光明的未来 。
I'll be checking in now and then to see how she does as she progresses from a ship to a mature artificial reef!
我会时不时地去看看她,如何从一艘船变成真正成熟的人工礁!