(单词翻译:单击)
Next on Jonathan Bird's Blue World: Sharks that eat something disgusting!
接下来是乔纳森·伯德的“蓝色世界:鲨鱼吃恶心的东西!”
Ahh, Hawaii. With its beautiful beaches and warm weather,
啊哈,夏威夷 。夏威夷拥有美丽的海滩和温暖的天气,
few would argue that Hawaii is one of the nicest places in the world to visit.
是世界上最好的旅游胜地之一,这一点无可辩驳 。
But you know me, I won't be sitting on the beach getting a tan.
但你了解我的,我不会坐在沙滩上晒日光浴 。
I have come to Hawaii to investigate a marine mystery involving a whale and a shark.
我来夏威夷是为了调查一个关于鲸鱼和鲨鱼的海洋之谜 。
Hi, I'm Jonathan Bird and welcome to my world!
嗨,我是乔纳森·伯德,欢迎来到我的世界!
Pods of pilot whales live in the waters around the Big Island of Hawaii.
成群的领航鲸生活在夏威夷大岛周围的水域 。
And sometimes they have oceanic white-tip sharks following behind them.
有时它们身后会跟着远洋白鳍鲨 。
Nobody knows why the sharks follow the whales, but I'd like to see if I can get to the bottom of this mystery.
没人知道为什么鲨鱼会跟着鲸鱼,但我想看看自己能否解开这个谜 。
My journey begins with my friend Drew Bradley who has a 25 foot boat and knows how to find the whales.
我与朋友德鲁·布拉德利一起开始旅行,他有一艘25英尺长的船,并且知道怎么找到鲸鱼 。
We load the boat at 7 AM and set out in search of whales.
我们早上7点把船装好,开始了寻找鲸鱼之旅 。
Pilot whales are not large. They only reach about 20 feet long.
领航鲸并不大,它们只有20英尺长 。
To find them, we cruise around in the waters about a mile offshore and look for their dorsal fins.
为了寻找它们,我们在离岸一英里左右的海域巡航,寻找它们的背鳍 。
Sometimes this can take a few hours before we find the whales.
有时,我们需要几个小时才能找到鲸鱼 。
What's that? About 1 o'clock.
那是什么?大约在一点钟方向 。
We have found some whales, so now we have to see if we can get close to them without spooking them away.
我们已经发现了一些鲸鱼,所以现在,我们必须看看能否在不吓走它们的情况下靠近它们 。
Pilot whales like to keep to themselves.
领航鲸喜欢独来独往 。
They aren't particularly curious about people, so they often take off when we try to move in.
它们对人类并不是特别好奇,所以当我们试图过来时,它们通常会离开 。
This small pod seems to be moving along slowly.
这一小群领航鲸似乎在缓慢游动 。
I'll try to get into the water with them and see if they have a shark following them.
我试着下水与它们在一起,看看它们是否有鲨鱼跟随 。
As I slip into the water, all I can see is blue.
当我滑入水中时,满眼都是蓝色 。
I wait patiently to see if they will come to me.
我耐心等待着,看它们是否来找我 。
They pass by me, never coming too close.
它们经过了我旁边,但没有靠得太近 。
Getting any decent shots of the whales underwater is tough.
在水下拍摄鲸鱼的精彩照片是很困难的 。
After the whales pass, I keep looking for a shark, but there isn't one.
鲸鱼过去后,我继续寻找鲨鱼,但是没有 。
Apparently not every pod of pilot whales has a shark following behind.
显然,并不是每一群领航鲸后面都有鲨鱼尾随 。
So, it's off to find another pod of pilot whales.
所以,我们要去找另一群领航鲸 。
We don't find one immediately, but we do come across a large pod of melon-headed whales.
我们没有立即找到,却遇到了一大群瓜头鲸 。
These small whales look a lot more like dolphins than whales, except they have a funny flat face.
这些小鲸鱼看起来更像海豚而不是鲸鱼,除了它们有一张有趣的扁平脸之外 。
They love to play in the bow wave of the boat just like dolphins.
它们喜欢像海豚一样在船头浪中嬉戏 。
After the melon-headed whales get bored and swim away, we finally find another pod of pilot whales.
当这些瓜头鲸玩厌了游开后,我们终于找到了另一群领航鲸 。
This is a big pod and I hope they will have a shark or two swimming with them.
这是一大群,我希望会与一两条鲨鱼尾随 。
I get into the water again and slowly swim towards the whales.
我再次入水,缓慢地朝着鲸鱼游去 。
They seem to be relaxing in the water, just floating.
它们似乎在水中放松,只是漂浮着 。
Pilot whales feed in the deep, far below, and they often rest for a while between dives.
领航鲸在深海中觅食,它们经常在潜水间隙休息一段时间 。
This pair is spy-hopping, a behavior where the whales float vertically
这对鲨鱼在做跳飞,这是一种动作,鲨鱼垂直漂浮着,
and stick their heads out of the water to take a look above the surface.
把头伸出水面,看看水面上的景物 。
They might be curious about our boat.
它们可能对我们的船好奇 。
Suddenly I can hear squeaking and clicking.
突然,我听到吱吱声和击水的声音 。
The big pod of melon-headed whales has come over to play with the pilot whales!
那一大群瓜头鲸过来和领航鲸玩儿了!
I had no idea that pilot whales and melon-headed whales like to hang out together.
我不知道领航鲸和瓜头鲸喜欢一起出去玩 。
It looks like the melon-headed whales like to buzz the pilot whales and taunt them,
看起来瓜头鲸喜欢聒噪和逗弄领航鲸,
as if they are asking them to join the fun.
好像它们在邀请领航鲸一起玩一样 。
For the most part, only the juvenile pilot whales join in the action.
大多数时候,只有领航幼鲸加入瓜头鲸 。
The adults just float and watch, keeping an eye out for trouble.
成年领航鲸只是浮在水面上看着,时刻提防着麻烦 。
But the younger pilot whales chase and play with the melon-headed whales.
但是年幼的领航鲸与瓜头鲸一起追逐玩耍 。