(单词翻译:单击)
Don't go away, Jonathan travels to the Maldives to investigate a Manta ray feeding frenzy!
别走开,乔纳森前往马尔代夫考察蝠鲼的进食狂潮!
Hi, I'm Jonathan Bird and welcome to my world!
嗨,我是乔纳森·伯德,欢迎来到我的世界!
Manta rays are among the ocean's most majestic animals.
蝠鲼是海洋中最威严的一种动物 。
And while I have seen a few manta rays in my travels, I have never seen a manta feeding frenzy—something that happens during a specific time of the year at a remote atoll in the Indian ocean.
虽然我曾看到过几条蝠鲼,但我从没在印度洋遥远的环礁上,在一年中的某个特定时间里,看到过蝠鲼疯狂地捕食 。
So I have come here, to Baa Atoll in the Maldives, for the adventure of a lifetime!
所以,我来到马尔代夫的芭环礁,开始这次千载难逢的奇遇!
The Maldives are a group of islands in the middle of the Indian Ocean, just south west of India's southern tip.
马尔代夫是印度洋中部的一群岛屿,位于印度南端的西南部 。
They are made up of thousands of coral atolls dotting the tropical blue water.
它们由数千个点缀在热带蓝色水域中的珊瑚环礁组成 。
Here you can see everything from a traditional local fisherman in a rowboat with a single fishing pole, to the hustle and bustle of water taxis around the capital city of Malé.
你在这可以看到从划着小船、拿着鱼竿的当地传统渔民,到首都马累周围繁忙的水上的士,一切应有尽有 。
I'll be exploring the Maldives aboard a luxury dive yacht, capable of traveling hundreds of miles between atolls to finds the best dive sites.
我将乘坐一艘豪华潜水艇去马尔代夫探险,它可以在环礁之间行驶数百英里,找到最好的潜水地点 。
I'm brought aboard by a small boat called a "dhoni" that will cruise alongside us.
我要登上一艘名为“多尼号”的小船,它将在我们旁边巡航 。
We will use the dhoni as our diving platform.
我们将使用“多尼号”作为潜水平台 。
Soon we set sail for Baa atoll, and the captain drives the boat not with a gigantic steering wheel, but a tiny joystick!
很快,我们启航前往芭环礁,船长驾驶的船没有巨大的方向盘,只有一个小操纵杆!
We leave the busy capital behind and cruise out into open water.
我们离开繁忙的首都,乘船出海 。
Although the boat has diesel engines, she gets a helping hand from favorable winds.
尽管船上有柴油发动机,但顺风又祝她一臂之力 。
The next morning, our divemaster Shah gives us a short lecture on what to expect and how we are going to find the mantas.
第二天早上,潜水长沙阿给我们做了个简短的讲座,告诉我们会遇到什么事,以及如何找到蝠鲼 。
Once our gear is aboard the dhoni and the captain ready to head out, we climb aboard and they shove off from the mother ship.
我们把装备放到多尼号上,船长准备出发 。待我们上船后,小船就动身离开了母船 。
Time to go looking for manta rays!
出发去找蝠鲼了!
We navigate between shallow reefs and sandy lagoons on our way to a place called Hanifaru Bay.
在前往哈尼法鲁湾的途中,我们在浅礁和环礁湖之间航行 。
There are 20 divers on this expedition and we're suited up and ready to go.
这次探险有20名潜水员,我们已经准备好出发了 。
Shah is watching for mantas from the top deck.
沙阿正在甲板上观察蝠鲼 。
We pass idyllic beaches on enchanting uninhabited islands.
我们经过迷人的无人岛上那田园诗般的海滩 。
Hanifaru Bay turns out to be not much more than a ring of coral reef surrounding a shallow, sandy sea floor.
哈尼法鲁湾原来不过是一圈环绕着浅海沙质海床的珊瑚礁 。
It's not really a bay at all.
根本算不上海湾 。
Shah doesn't see anything resembling a manta, but we decide to go check it out anyway.
沙阿没有看到类似于蝠鲼的生物,但我们还是决定去看看 。
I suit up, keeping my expectations high.
我穿好潜水服,心中满是期望 。
Well, this is it, Hanifaru Bay.
就是这,哈尼法鲁湾 。
Gets go see if we can find some manta rays!
去看看能不能找到蝠鲼!
The reefs around the outside of Hanifaru bay are gorgeous, filled with colorful corals and schools of fish.
哈尼法鲁湾外的珊瑚礁非常美丽,满是五颜六色的珊瑚和鱼群 。
But the sandy bottom of the bay is fairly featureless.
但是,海底的沙地却没有什么特色 。
And there are no mantas!
没有蝠鲼!
I wait for a while, looking up for manta shapes, but nothing swims over.
我等了一会儿,在寻找蝠鲼,但没有东西游过来 。
Mantas only come here when the tides are just right, because plankton accumulates in the bay.
只有当潮汐适合的时候,蝠鲼才会来到这儿,因为浮游生物会在海湾中聚集 。
Well, no mantas.
没有蝠鲼 。
You know, they tell me there can be like 50 or 100 mantas in this bay, but so far we haven't seen any.
他们告诉我,这个海湾里可能有50或100只蝠鲼,但到目前为止我们还没有看到一只 。
I guess we'll try again tomorrow.
我想,我们明天再试一次吧 。
As the sun sinks below the horizon, I can only wonder what tomorrow will bring.
当太阳落到地平线下时,我只想知道明天能看到什么 。
I sure hope I didn't come all this way for nothing!
我真希望不要白跑一趟啊!