(单词翻译:单击)
Hey there! Welcome to Life Noggin. Ooh a D20! My lucky day!
大家好!欢迎来到脑洞大开的生命奇想!奥,一个骰子滚!今天是我的幸运日啊!
Guess what, gang! Today we’re heading over to the fifth annual Life Noggin Medieval Fair!
猜怎么着,伙伴们!今天我们去参加第五届一年一度的中世纪展览会!
Don’t ask what happened with the first four. It’s fun to dress up in all this cool armor,
别问前四届发生了什么 。穿上这些酷酷的铠甲,非常有趣 。
but to help us really get into character, we should probably learn more about what life was actually like back in Medieval times —
但是为了更好的进入角色,我么应该了解更多关于中世纪生活的事情,
and how likely we would have been to survive back then.
以及我们有多大可能在中世纪的时候生存下来 。
The medieval period, often referred to as the Middle Ages,
中世纪时期经常简称为中世纪 。
is a term used to loosely define the period of European history between the fall of Rome in the 5th century CE
中世纪指的是一段欧洲历史,
and the beginning of the Renaissance around the 14th century.
大约从公元5世纪罗马灭亡开始,到大约14世纪开始的文艺复兴时结束 。
You may think of it as a magical time of knights and nobles,
或许你觉得这是一段骑士和贵族存在的美妙的时期 。
but before you get too excited rolling up your real-life DnD characters, most of the people back then were peasants.
但是在你对现实生活中的龙与地下城角色过于兴奋之前,你要知道那时候大多数人都是农民 。
Might still be a bit til’ you can save up for that heavy armor.
你可能还需要一段时间才能攒够买那件重型盔甲的钱 。
Though if you were still in the fighting spirit, duels were a thing back then.
不知你还能不能感受到那种战斗精神,决斗在那时候确实是存在的 。
They started in Europe in the 11th century, and weren’t officially abolished until the beginning of the 19th century.
决斗开始于11世纪的欧洲,而且直到19世纪初,它才被官方废除 。
Imagine surviving the harsh reality of the Middle Ages just to die over some dispute with your neighbor.
想象一下,人们在中世纪的残酷现实中幸存下来后,却因为与邻居的争斗而死去 。
That's a pretty tragic way to go if you ask me. Karen, these chickens are mine. Get lost.
我觉得这种方式非常的悲剧 。凯伦,这些鸡肉是我的,快给我消失 。
And speaking of death, one of the most devastating things to happen back in those times was the Black Death.
说到死亡,那时候最具毁灭性的事情之一就是黑死病的发生 。
Occurring near the end of the Middle Ages, around the middle of the 14th century,
黑死病发生在中世纪的末期,大约是在14世纪中期 。
the Black Death was a horrific global epidemic of plague that proportionately caused the most amount of deaths
黑死病是一种可怕的全球性瘟疫,按比例来说,它造成的死亡人数最多,
than any other known epidemic or war up to its time.
比当时任何已知的流行病或战争都要严重 。
The plague spread from person to person through the air,
瘟疫通过空气在人与人之间传播,
as well as by the bite of an infected flea and rat — but no one really knew that back then.
还通过被感染的跳蚤和老鼠叮咬传播——但当时没有人真正知道这一点 。
It understandably caused a bunch of panic, leading people to flee from the cities to the countryside.
可以理解的是,它造成了很多恐慌,导致人们从城市逃向乡下 。
That didn’t help much though, as the Black Death affected livestock like goats and sheep.
但是这并没有什么用,因为黑死病也影响了山羊和绵羊等牲畜 。
Peasants also usually lived with their animals in the same hut,
那时候农民通常和家畜居住在同一个棚屋里 。
so you can see how there really was no escape from the devastation.
所以我们知道当时的人们无法逃离这场毁灭性的瘟疫 。
With all of the inferior medical practices that they had back then, it’s a wonder that anyone survived.
他们当时的医疗条件很差,如果有人能幸存下来,那就是一个奇迹 。
I mean vaccines didn’t even really become a thing until around the turn of the 18th century after Edward Jenner —
我的意思是,那时根本就没有疫苗这种东西,
who is thought of as the founder of Western vaccinology — inoculated a young child in 1796 with cowpox,
直到18世纪初,爱德华·詹纳—被人们成为西方疫苗学的奠基人—在1796年给一个小孩接种了牛痘,
who then afterwards showed an immunity to smallpox.
后来这个小孩对天花有了免疫力 。
Today, because of vaccines, smallpox no longer exists outside the lab.
现在,由于疫苗的存在,天花只存在于实验室之中 。
That’s good, because according to the CDC, it seems like 3 out of 10 people who got it generally didn’t survive,
这很好,因为据疾病防治中心称,在每10个患天花的人中,就有3个因此死亡的 。
making it a pretty terrifying thing to get back in the Middle Ages.
这就使回到中世纪生活成为一件很可怕的事情 。
And while you’ve probably heard of bloodletting — that creepy practice where leeches were supposed to suck out an illness —
尽管你可能听说过放血疗法,这种诡异的疗法指的是用水蛭把病魔吸出来,
what very possibly was even more painful back then was their “treatment” for hemorrhoids. Nothing too fancy,
但是更疼痛的可能是放血用作治疗痔疮的疗法 。没什么复杂的,
just a searing hot poker applied directly to the site of the problem.
就只是把一个火棍应用到病患处 。
Ouch! Oh, and there’s some evidence to suggest that urine was generally seen as an antiseptic at the time,
啊!还有,有一些证据表明当时的人们把尿液当做杀菌剂来用,
so patients really just had a rough go of it all around — even if they did manage to survive everything else.
所以病人们都经历了一个艰难的过程,即使他们通过别的什么东西存活了下来 。
So what do you think? Could you have survived the Middle Ages?
所以你觉得怎么样?你能在中世纪存活下来吗?
Is there any other time period you'd like us to travel to next?
有没有什么别的什么历史时期你想让我们去看看呢?
Let me know in the comments below. Enjoyed this episode of Deblocked? Check out the previous one we did.
请在下面的评论中告诉我 。喜欢这期亲爱的宝高吗?看看我们上次制作的视频吧 。
Hold up gang! Did you see that!? It's probably Santa! Wait a minute, that's not Santa.
等一下伙伴们!看到了吗!?那可能是圣诞老人!等一下,那不是圣诞老人 。
It's just a big pile of plastics. Darnit. I was worried about this happening.
那只是一大堆塑料 。真讨厌,我还担心这个会发生呢 。
As always, my name is Blocko, this has been life noggin, don't forget to keep on thinking!
我是宝高,这里是脑洞大开的生命奇想 。思考不要停!