源于原始和不完美材料的惊艳建筑
日期:2019-03-17 16:05

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

Architecture is a profession with many rules, some written, some not, some relevant and others not.
建筑学是一个有许多规则的职业,一些规则是成文的,有的则没有,有些中肯,有些不然。
As architects, we're constantly gravitating between following these rules by the book
作为建筑师,我们一直在遵循书籍中的这些规则,
or making a space for imagination -- for experimentation.
或者为想象力的实验留下空间--这两者之间徘徊。
This is a difficult balance. Especially through architecture,
要实现平衡并不容易,尤其在建筑这行,
you're trying to challenge preconceptions and push boundaries and innovate,
你在试图挑战先入为主的观念,推进边界和创新,
even if just using what we have around and we overlook all the time.
还包括只是使用我们周围一直被忽视的东西。
And this is what I've been doing along with my team, Ensamble Studio,
这正是我和我的团队一直在做的事情,全效工作室,
and from our very early works that happened in strict historic contexts, like the city of Santiago de Compostela.
我们早期的作品都是在严格的历史背景下完成的,比如圣地亚哥·德孔波斯特拉市。
Here we built the General Society of Authors and Editors, a cultural building.
在这里我们建造了作家和编辑协会,一个文化性的建筑。
And on top of all the regulations, we had to use stone by code and our experience was limited,
这些规范的首要内容是,我们必须按规定使用石头,我们的经验无法施展,
but we had incredible references to learn from,
但是有很好的参照物可以来学习,
some coming from the city itself or from nearby landscapes
一些来自于城市本身或是来自于周边的景观,
or other remote places that had impacted our education as architects, and maybe you recognize here.
或是来自其他遥远的地方,这些景观影响了我们作为建筑师所接受的教育,也许你们能在图片中看出来。
But somehow the finished products that industry made available for us as architects to use in our buildings seemed to have lost their soul.
但工业生产出来给我们建筑师使用的现成品似乎已经失去了它们的灵魂。
And so we decided to go to the nearby quarries
所以我们决定去附近的采石场,
to better understand the process that transforms a mountain into a perfectly square tile that you buy from a supplier.
更好的了解如何把一座山转变成我们从供应商那里购买的方形石料的过程。
And we were taken by the monumental scale of the material and the actions to extract it.
我们被这些材料的巨大规模和采集它们的操作所折服。
And looking carefully, we noticed hundreds of irregular blocks piling up everywhere.
通过仔细观察,我们注意到到处都堆着数百个不规则的石块。
They are the leftovers of an extraction sequence: the ugly parts that nobody wants.
它们是采石工艺余下的边角料:那些没人要的部分,毫无美感可言。
But we wanted them. We were inspired.
但我们想要它们。我们的灵感被激发。
And it was a win-win situation where we could get this residual material of great quality, doomed to be crushed, at a very low cost.
这是个双赢的局势,在那儿,我们可以以非常低的成本获得这些本来要被碾碎的高质量材料。
Now, we had to convince our clients that this was a good idea;
我们还必须说服我们的客户认为这是个好主意;
but foremost, we had to come up with a design process to reuse these randomly shaped rocks, and we had not done this before.
但更重要的是,我们必须想出一个重新利用这些不规则形状岩石的设计过程,但我们以前从没这样做过。
Today everything would be much easier because we would go to the quarry with our smartphones equipped with 3-D scanners
今天所有一切都变得更容易了,因为我们去采石场时会带上配备了3D扫描器的智能手机,
and we would document each rock, turn that into a digital model -- highly engineer the whole process.
去记录每一块石头,将其转变成数字模型--整个过程高度工程化。
But more than a decade ago, we had to embrace uncertainty and put on our boots,
但在十多年前,我们不得不拥抱不确定性,穿上鞋子,
roll up our sleeves and move to the quarry for a hands-on experience.
卷起袖子来到采石场亲身实践。
And we also had to become the contractors because we failed at finding somebody willing to share the risk with us.
而且我们不得不成为承包商,因为我们找不到愿意共同承担风险的人。
Now, luckily, we convinced the quarry team to help us build a few prototypes to resolve some of the technical details.
幸运的是,我们说服了采石团队帮助我们构建一些原型来解决一些细节的技术问题。
And we agreed on a few mock-ups, but we got excited,
我们就几个模型达成了一致,但是我们很兴奋,
and one stone led to another until we succeeded to build an 18-meter-long by eight-meter-high structure
一个石头接一个石头,直到我们成功构建了一个18米长,8米高的结构,
that recycled all the amorphous material of the quarry, just supported by gravity -- no mortar and no ties.
这个结构利用了采石场所有的不规则材料,仅仅依靠重力的支撑--没有石灰石粘合,也没有粘合物。
And once built and tested, moving it to the final site in the city center to unite it with the rest of the building was a piece of cake,
在建造成功并进行测试后,我们把它们运送到市中心的目的地,和建筑的其它部分连接起来,就像一块蛋糕,
because by having isolated uncertainty and managed risk in the controlled environment of the quarry,
因为通过隔离不确定性和在采石场的可控环境下的风险管理,
we were able to complete the whole building in time and on budget, even if using nonconventional means and methods.
我们得以在预算内按时完成整个建筑工程,即便用的是非传统的手段和方法。
And I still get goosebumps when I see this big chunk of the industrial landscape in the city, in a building, experienced by the visitors and the neighbors.
当我在城市中,建筑中,看到有人在这些工业景观中穿梭时,仍然会感到心潮澎湃。
This building gave us quite a few headaches, and so it could have well been an exception in our work,
这个建筑曾让我们头疼不已,所以它可能是我们的一个与众不同的作品,
but instead it started to inform a modus operandi
但是反过来,它开始告诉我们一种运作方式,
where every project becomes this opportunity to test the limits of a discipline we believe has to be urgently reimagined.
每个工程都可以是一个测试我们认为迫切需要重新想象的学科极限的机会。
So what you see here are four homes that we have designed, built and inhabited.
你们在这里看到的是我们设计、建造和居住的四所房子。
Four manifestos where we are using the small scale to ask ourselves big questions.
四个我们以小规模来问自己大问题的宣言。
And we are trying to discover the architectures that result from unconventional applications of pretty mundane materials and technologies,
我们也在尝试发现那些使用极为普通的材料和技术的非传统应用实现的架构,
like concrete in different forms in the top row, or steel and foam in the bottom row.
比如顶部的图片是不同形式的混凝土,底部的是钢和泡沫。
Take, for instance, these precast concrete beams.
以这些预制混凝土梁为例。
You have probably seen them building bridges, highways, water channels
你可能已经见到过它们被用于构造桥梁,高速路和水渠,
we found them on one of our visits to a precast concrete factory.
我们在拜访预制混凝土工厂时发现了它们。
And they might not seem especially homey or beautiful, but we decided to use them to build our first house.
它们看起来并不是特别舒适和漂亮,但是我们决定用它们来建设我们第一个房子。
And this was an incredible moment because we got to be architects as always,
这是一个难以置信的时刻,因为我们要一如既往的以架构师的身份,
builders once more and, for the first time, we could be our own clients.
再一次成为建筑工,并且第一次成为自己的客户。
So, here we are trying to figure out how we can take these huge catalogue beams of about 20 tons each
所以,我们要尝试计算怎样才能把这些每个都重达20吨的钢梁,
and stack them progressively around a courtyard space ... the heart of the house.
都逐渐堆积在庭院的周围...房子的中心。
And due to the dimensions and their material quality,
由于它们的尺寸和材质,
these big parts are the structure that carry the loads to the ground, but they are much more than that.
这些大的部分是承重结构,但它们的功能不限于此。
They are the swimming pool; they are the walls that divide interior from exterior;
它们可以用来建造游泳池;可以是分隔内外的墙壁;
they are the windows that frame the views; they are the finishes; they are the very spirit of this house.
可以成为捕捉风景的窗口;它们可以是成品,它们正是这房子的精神。
A house that is for us a laboratory where we are testing how we can use standard elements in nonstandard ways.
这所房子是我们的实验室,我们在这里测试如何以非标准的方式使用标准元素。
And we are observing that the results are intriguing.
我们观察到的结果很有趣。
And we are learning by doing that prefabrication can be much more than stacking boxes or that heavy parts can be airy and transparent.
我们通过实践学习到预制可以不仅仅是堆叠模块,或者厚重的部分也可以是通风和透明的。

源于原始和不完美材料的惊艳建筑

And on top of designing and building this house, we get invaluable feedback,
在设计和构建这些房子之上,我们得到了珍贵的反馈,
sharing it with our family and our friends because this is our life and our work in progress.
分享给了我们的家人和朋友,因为这是我们正在进行的生活和正在进行的工作。
The lessons that we learn here get translated into other projects and other programs and other scales as well, and they inspire new work.
我们把在此处学到的经验应用到了其他项目,其他规划和其他尺度中,它们也激发了新的作品。
Here again we are looking at very standard products:
这里,我们再次看到了非常标准的产品:
galvanized steel studs that can be easily cut and screwed, insulating foams, cement boards
易于切割和拧紧的镀锌钢钉,绝缘泡沫,水泥板--
all materials that you can find hidden in partition walls and that we are exposing;
所有你能找到的隐藏在隔墙里的材料和暴露出来的材料;
and we are using them to build a very lightweight construction system that can be built almost by anyone.
我们正在使用它们来打造一个几乎每个人都可以造出的轻质建造系统。
And we are doing it ourselves with our hands in our shop, and we are architects.
我们在店里自己动手做,我们是建筑师。
We're not professional builders but we want to make sure it's possible.
我们并非职业建筑工人,但是我们想确定我们也可以做到。
And it's so nice that Antón can move it with his hands and Javier can put it in a container,
很高兴安东能用手移动它,哈维尔能把它放进集装箱中,
and we can ship it like you would ship your belongings if you were moving abroad ... which is what we did five years ago.
我们可以托运它,就像出国托运行李一样...这些都是我们五年前在做的事情。
We moved our gravity center from Madrid and the house of the concrete beams to Brookline.
我们把我们在马德里的重力中心和混凝土梁的房子移动到布鲁克林。
And we found the ugly duckling of a very nice neighborhood: a one-story garage and the only thing we could afford.
我们发现了位于非常好的社区中的“丑小鸭”:一个一层的车库,也是我们唯一能负担得起的东西。
But it was OK because we wanted to transform it into a swan,
但没有问题,因为我们想把它变成天鹅,
installing on top our just-delivered kit of parts, once more becoming the scientists and the guinea pigs.
在顶部安装我们刚刚运送过来的组件包,再一次成为科学家和小白鼠。
So this is a house that uses some of the cheapest and most normal materials that you can find in the market
这就是一座使用了你能在市场上找到的最便宜和最普通的材料建造的房子,
that applies the ubiquitous four-by-eight modulation that governs the construction industry.
这些材料应用了统治着建筑行业的无处不在的4*8调制原理。
And yet a different organization of the spaces and a different assembly of the parts
然而对空间采用不同的分隔方式,对组件进行不同的组装,
is able to transform an economically built home into a luxurious space.
可以把一个经济型的房屋转变成一个奢华的空间。
And now, we're dreaming and we're actively working with developers, with builders,
现在,我们在筑梦,并积极和开发者合作,和建筑师合作,
with communities to try to make this a reality for many more homes and many more families.
和社区合作,以将这个想法在更多房屋和更多家庭上实现。
And you see, the world around us is an infinite source of inspiration if we are curious enough to see beneath the surface of things.
如你所见,周围的世界为我们提供了无限的灵感,只要我们有足够的好奇心去看到事物的本质。
Now I'm going to take you to the other side of the moon: to the sublime landscape of Montana,
现在我要带你们到月亮的另外一端:一睹蒙大拿壮丽的风景,
where a few years ago we joined Cathy and Peter Halstead to imagine Tippet Rise Art Center on a 10,000-acre working ranch.
几年前,我们在那儿加入了凯西和彼得·霍尔斯特德,打算在一个1万英亩的农场里建设提佩特·莱斯艺术中心。
And when we first visited the site,
当我们第一次造访那里时,
we realized that all we knew about what an art center is was absolutely pointless for that client, for that community, for that landscape.
我们意识到我们所知的有关艺术中心的一切,对那个客户、那个社区、那个景观来说毫无用处。
The kind of white-box museum type had no fit here.
那种白盒子式的博物馆并不适合这里。
So we decided to explode the center into a constellation of fragments,
所以我们决定把这个中心分解成零星的建筑,
of spaces spread across the vast territory that would immerse the visitors into the wilderness of this amazing place.
分布在广袤的原野中,把游客包围在这个神奇的荒野中。
So back in the office, we are thinking through making, using the land both as support and as material,
所以,回到办公室后,我们通过动手来进行构思,使用土地,把它们既作为原材料,又作为架构,
learning from its geological processes of sedimentation, erosion, fragmentation, crystallization -- explosion
从它们的沉降、侵蚀、碎片化、结晶化、爆发的地质过程中学习,
to discover architectures that are born from the land,
去发现从这片土地中形成的建筑,
that are visceral extensions of the landscape, like this bridge that crosses Murphy Canyon. Or this fountain.
这些自然景观的延伸,像穿过墨菲峡谷的这座桥,或者这座喷泉。
Like this space topping a hill ... or this theatre that brings to us the space of the mountains and its sound.
像丘顶的这个空间...或者像这个带给我山的空间和声音的剧院。
And in order to realize this idea, construction cannot be perfectly planned.
为了实现这个想法,建筑物不可能被完美地设计。
We need to embrace the drastic weather and the local craft.
我们需要拥抱极端天气和当地的工艺。
We need to control just those aspects that are critical,
我们只需要控制那些关键方面,
like the structural, the thermal, the acoustical properties embedded in the form.
比如结构,比如热量,嵌入在其中的的声学属性。
But otherwise, improvisation is welcome and is provoked.
但另外一方面,即兴创作既受欢迎,也是被激发的。
And the moment of construction is still a moment of design and a moment of celebration
建筑的时刻仍然是设计的时刻和庆典的时刻,
where different hands, hearts, minds come together to perform a final dance.
不同的双手,不同的心和不同的想法,汇聚成最终的舞蹈。
And the result then cannot be anticipated. It comes as a surprise.
结果是不可预期的。它是一个惊喜。
And we unwrap architecture like you would unwrap a birthday gift.
建筑的揭晓就如同拆开生日礼物。
Architecture isn't uncovered: it's discovered.
建筑并不会主动出现,而是需要你去探索。
It's extracted from the guts of the earth to build a shelter, one of the most basic human needs.
它是从地球深处而来的庇护所,是人类最基本的需求之一。
Architecture, art, landscape, archaeology, geology -- all made one.
建筑,艺术,景观,考古,地质学--汇聚一体。
And by using the resources at our disposal in radical ways, by making a space for experimentation,
以激进的方式使用我们所掌握的资源,为实验留出空间,
we are able to bring to light architectures that find the beauty latent in the raw and imperfect things that surround us,
我们能够使建筑变得更明亮,发现隐藏在我们周围的原始和不完美事物中的美,
that elevate them and let them speak their own language. Thank you.
提升它们,让它们以自己的方式呈现给我们。谢谢。

分享到
重点单词
  • opportunityn. 机会,时机
  • ducklingn. 小鸭子
  • embeddedadj. 植入的,内含的,深入的 v. 埋入,植入,深入
  • radicaladj. 激进的,基本的,彻底的 n. 激进分子
  • absolutelyadv. 绝对地,完全地;独立地
  • limitedadj. 有限的,被限制的 动词limit的过去式和过去
  • canyonn. 峡谷
  • convincevt. 使确信,使信服,说服
  • infiniteadj. 无限的,无穷的 n. 无限
  • courtyardn. 庭院,院子