为什么我们在压力下会表现失常
日期:2018-11-03 16:15

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

One of the most humiliating things that you can say about someone is "they choked."
一个人能做出最丢脸的事情,其中之一就是“失常”。
And boy, do I know that feeling. Growing up, I was an avid athlete.
哇,这感觉我可是很懂的。成长过程中,我是很热血的运动员。
My main sport was soccer, and I was a goalkeeper, which is both the best and the worst position on the field.
我主要玩的运动是足球,并且我是守门员,那是球场上最好也最糟的位置。
You see, when you're a goalie, you get this special uniform,
如果你是守门员,你会有特别的服装,
you get all the glory for a great shot saved, but you also get the grief when you land a shot in the goal.
如果你挡下了很棒的射门,荣耀通通归你,但如果你让球进了门,悲伤也是归你。
When you're a goalie, all eyes are on you, and with that comes the pressure.
如果你是守门员,目光都集中在你身上,目光会带来压力。
I distinctly remember one game in high school.
我非常清楚记得高中时的一场比赛。
I was playing for the California state team which is part of the Olympic Development Program.
我隶属于加州队,这是奥运发展计划的一部分。
I was having a great game ... until I realized that the national coach was standing right behind me.
那场比赛我表现很好...直到我发现国家教练就站在我后面。
That's when everything changed. In a matter of seconds, I went from playing at the top to the bottom of my ability.
那时一切都改变了。才几秒钟的时间,我就从把能力发挥到最好变成发挥到最差。
Just knowing that I was being evaluated changed my performance and forever how I thought about the mental aspect of how we perform.
光是知道有人在评估我,就改变了我的表现,以及永远改变了我如何看待表现的心理层面。
All of a sudden the ball seemed to go in slow motion, and I was fixated on my every move.
突然间,球似乎变成了慢动作,我注视着我的每一个动作。
The next shot that came I bobbled, but thankfully it didn't land in the goal.
下一次射门时,我没挡下来,但谢天谢地,它没有进门。
The shot after that, I wasn't so lucky: I tipped it right into the net.
再下一次射门,我就没那么幸运了:我轻触到球,直接送它进门。
My team lost; the national coach walked away. I choked under the pressure of those evaluative eyes on me.
我的球队输了;国家教练也走了。在评鉴我的目光造成的压力下,我失常了。
Just about everyone does it from time to time
几乎每个人偶尔都会发生这种状况,
there are so many opportunities, whether it's taking a test, giving a talk, pitching to a client
有好多机会,不论是考试、演讲、向客户提案,
or that special form of torture I like to call the job interview.
或是折磨的一种特殊形式,我称之为工作面试。
But the question is why. Why do we sometimes fail to perform up to our potential under pressure?
但问题是为什么会这样?为什么在压力下,我们有时就无法把潜力发挥出来?
It's especially bewildering in the case of athletes who spend so much time physically honing their craft.
在运动员的情况中,这个问题特别让人困惑,因为他们花了那么多时间在磨练他们的身体技艺。
But what about their minds? Not as much. This is true off the playing field as well.
但他们的心灵呢?没那么多磨练。在球场以外的地方亦是如此。
Whether we're taking a test of giving a talk, it's easy to feel like we're ready -- at the top of our game
不论是考试或是演讲,很容易就觉得我们准备好了--觉得自己最行,
and then perform at our worst when it matters most.
接着却在最关键的时刻表现得一塌糊涂。
It turns out that rarely do we practice under the types of conditions we're actually going to perform under,
结果是因为我们练习的时候很少会有和实际要表现时同样的条件或环境,
and as a result, when all eyes are on us, we sometimes flub our performance.
结果就是,当所有人都看着我们时,我们有时就会搞砸。
Of course, the question is, why is this the case?
当然,问题是,为什么会这样?
And my experience on the playing field -- and in other important facets of my life
我在球场上的经验和我人生中其他重要面向的经验,
really pushed me into the field of cognitive science.
让我进入了认知科学的领域。
I wanted to know how we could reach our limitless potential.
我想要知道我们要如何达到自己无限的潜能。
I wanted to understand how we could use our knowledge of the mind and the brain
我想要了解我们要如何运用我们心灵和大脑的知识,
to come up with psychological tools that would help us perform at our best.
来创造出一些心理工具,协助我们发挥最佳表现。
So why does it happen? Why do we sometimes fail to perform up to what we're capable of when the pressure is on?
为什么会失常?为什么当压力压上来时,我们有时就无法把原本应该能达成的表现做出来?
It may not be so surprising to hear that in stressful situations, we worry.
我们会在压力大的情境中担心,这点应该不让人意外。
We worry about the situation, the consequences, what others will think of us.
我们会担心那个情境,担心后果,担心别人怎么看待我们。
But what is surprising is that we often get in our own way precisely because our worries prompt us to concentrate too much.
但让人意外的是,正是因为我们的担心会过度暗示我们要专心,反而造成了阻碍。
That's right -- we pay too much attention to what we're doing.
没错,我们对当下做的事过度注意。
When we're concerned about performing our best, we often try and control aspects of what we're doing
当我们念念不忘要做出最佳表现时,就往往尝试去控制我们正在做的事,
that are best left on autopilot, outside conscious awareness, and as a result, we mess up.
原本最好是留在意识之外任其自由发展,结果就是搞砸了。
Think about a situation where you're shuffling down the stairs.
想想看一个情境,你正在快速下楼梯。
What would happen if I asked you to think about what you're doing with your knee while you're doing that?
如果我请你在下楼梯时想着你如何使用你的膝盖,会发生什么事?
There's a good chance you'd fall on your face.
很有可能你会跌个狗吃屎。
We as humans only have the ability to pay attention to so much at once,
我们人类同时能使用的注意力有限,
which is why, by the way, it's not a good idea to drive and talk on the cell phone.
顺便一提,这就是为什么开车时最好不要讲电话。
And under pressure, when we're concerned about performing at our best,
在压力之下,当我们很在意要做出最佳表现时,
we can try and control aspects of what we're doing that should be left outside conscious control.
我们可能会试图去控制我们正在做的事,而那些应该不要由意识来控制。
The end result is that we mess up.
最后的结果就是,我们会搞砸。
My research team and I have studied this phenomenon of overattention, and we call it paralysis by analysis.
我和我的研究团队一直在研究这个注意力过度的现象,我们称之为“分析造成的瘫痪”。
In one study, we asked college soccer players to dribble a soccer ball
在一项研究中,我们请大学的足球队员盘球,
and to pay attention to an aspect of their performance that they would not otherwise attend to.
同时把注意力放在他们表现的一个方面上,那个方面是他们本来不注意的。
We asked them to pay attention to what side of the foot was contacting the ball.
我们请他们去注意脚的哪一面接触到球。
We showed that performance was slower and more error-prone when we drew their attention to the step-by-step details of what they were doing.
我们发现,当我们把他们的注意力转移到当下行为的细节上时,他们的表现会变缓慢且易出错。
When the pressure is on, we're often concerned with performing at our best,
当有压力时,我们会很在意要做出最佳表现,
and as a result we try and control what we're doing to force the best performance.
结果就是我们试图控制我们在做的事,来强迫做出最佳表现。
The end result is that we actually screw up.
最后的结果就是就是我们真的会搞砸。
In basketball, the term "unconscious" is used to describe a shooter who can't miss.
在篮球上,会用“无意识”来形容神射手。
And San Antonio Spurs star Tim Duncan has said, "When you have to stop and think, that's when you mess up."
圣安东尼奥马刺队的球星蒂姆·邓肯说过:“要停下来想的时候就是你搞砸的时候。”
In dance, the great choreographer, George Balanchine, used to urge his dancers, "Don't think, just do."
在舞蹈上,伟大的编舞家乔治·巴兰奇以前会要求他的舞者:“别思考,只管去做。”
When the pressure's on, when we want to put our best foot forward, somewhat ironically,
当有压力时,当我们想要表现得最好时,很讽刺的,
we often try and control what we're doing in a way that leads to worse performance.
我们控制当下行为的方式反而导致了最糟的表现。
So what do we do? Knowing that we have this overactive attention, how do we ensure that we perform at our best?
所以,我们要怎么做?已经知道我们的注意力过度时,我们要如何确保自己能做出最佳表现?
A lot of it comes down to the prefrontal cortex,
有很大一部分和前额叶皮质有关,
that front part of our brain that sits over our eyes and usually helps us focus in positive ways.
它位于我们大脑的前侧,眼睛上方,通常是以正面的方式在协助我们专注。
It often gets hooked on the wrong things. So how do we unhook it?
它常常会被不对的事物勾引住。我们要如何把它拉回来?
Something as simple as singing a song, or paying attention to one's pinky toe,
很简单,比如唱一首歌,或是把注意力放在小趾头上,
as pro golfer Jack Nicklaus was rumored to do, can help us take our mind off those pesky details.
据说职业高尔夫选手杰克·尼克劳斯就用这一招,这些方式能协助我们把心思从恼人的细节转移开。
It's also true that practicing under conditions that we're going to perform under
还有一点也是确定的,若能让练习时的条件符合实做时的条,
closing the gap between training and competition can help us get used to that feeling of all eyes on us.
把训练和竞争之间的差距缩小,能协助我们习惯被众人瞩目的感觉。
This is true off the playing field as well.
在球场以外的地方也一样。
Whether it's getting ready for an exam or preparing for a big talk
不论是准备考试,或是准备一场重要演说,
one that might have a little pressure associated with it...
可能和压力有点关系的演说...
getting used to the types of situations you're going to perform under really matters.
习惯将来要实做时的情境真的很重要。

为什么我们在压力下会表现失常

When you're taking a test, close the book, practice retrieving the answer from memory under timed situations,
当你要考试的时候,把书合上,练习在有时间限制的情况下把答案从记忆中找出来,
and when you're giving a talk, practice in front of others.
当你要演讲的时候,在其他人面前练习。
And if you can't find anyone who will listen, practice in front of a video camera or even a mirror.
如果你无法找到愿意听的人,在摄影机甚至镜子前面练习。
The ability to get used to what it will feel like can make the difference in whether we choke or thrive.
习惯实做感觉的能力能造成不同,表现失常或是表现出色的不同。
We've also figured out some ways to get rid of those pesky worries and self-doubts that tend to creep up in the stressful situations.
我们也想出一些能够摆脱那些恼人的担忧和自我怀疑的方法,它们通常不知不觉地出现在有压力的情况下。
Researchers have shown that simply jotting down your thoughts and worries before a stressful event
研究者发现,在从事有压力的活动之前只要草草写下你的想法和担心,
can help to download them from mind -- make them less likely to pop up in the moment.
就能够协助你把它们从脑袋中下载下来,减低它们在重要时刻跳出来的机率。
It's kind of like when you wake up in the middle of the night and you're really worried about what you have to do the next day,
这就有点象是当你半夜醒来时,真的很担心明天要做的事,
you're trying to think about everything you have to accomplish,
你试着去想必须要完成的所有事项,
and you write it down and then you can go back to sleep.
把它们写下来,就回去睡觉。
Journaling, or getting those thoughts down on paper, makes it less likely they'll pop up and distract you in the moment.
写日记,或是把那些想法写在纸上,减低它们在重要时刻跳出来让你分心的机率。
The end result is that you can perform your best when it matters most.
最后的结果是在关键时刻你能表现得最好。
So up until now, I've talked about what happens when we put limits on ourselves
到目前为止,我已经谈了当我们把限制加在自己身上时会发生什么事,
and some tips we can use to help perform up to our potential.
以及可以用来协助我们发挥潜能的一些小密诀。
But it's important to remember that it's not just our own individual being that can put limits and that can perform poorly;
但很重要的是要记住,不只有我们自己本身会加上限制且会表现不佳;
our environment has an effect on whether we choke or thrive.
我们的环境也能影响我们会表现失常或表现出色。
Our parents, our teachers, our coaches, our bosses all influence whether or not we can put our best foot forward when it matters most.
我们的父母、老师、教练、老板都会影响我们是否能在关键时刻做出最佳表现。
Take math as an example. That's right, I said it: math.
以数学为例。没错,你们没听错:数学。
Lots of people profess to choke or are anxious about doing math,
许多人声称在做数学时会失常或是焦虑,
whether it's taking a test or even calculating the tip on a dinner bill as our smart friends look on.
不论是考试,或甚至是旁边有聪明的朋友在看着你计算晚餐账单上的小费。
And it's quite socially acceptable to talk about choking or performing poorly in math.
大家都还蛮习惯可以把在数学上的失常或不佳表现拿出来谈。
You don't hear highly educated people walking around talking about the fact or bragging about the fact that they're not good readers,
你不会听到教育程度高的人到处谈论或是夸口说自己的阅读能力差,
but you hear people all the time bragging about how they're not math people.
但你常会听到有人吹嘘自己的数学真的不行。
And unfortunately, in the US, this tends to be more so among girls and women than boys and men.
不幸的是,在美国,这样的现象在女孩和女人中比较常见,多于男孩和男人。
My research team and I have tried to understand where this fear of math comes from,
我和研究团队正试图了解这种对数学的恐惧来自何处,
and we've actually peered inside the brains using functional magnetic resonance imaging, of people who are worried about math.
实际上我们窥探大脑内部,用的技术是功能性磁振造影,研究对象是怕数学的人。
We've shown that math phobia correlates with a concrete visceral sensation such as pain,
我们发现,数学恐惧症和一种实在的内脏感受有相关,比如痛苦,
of which we have every right to feel anxious.
我们绝对有权对于痛苦感到焦虑。
In fact, when people who are worried about math are just getting ready to take a math test
事实上,当怕数学的人准备要考数学时,
they're not even taking it, they're just getting ready
还没开始考,只是准备去考,
areas of the brain known the be involved in our neural pain response are active.
大脑中已知和神经痛反应有关的区域就会开始活动。
When we say math is painful, there's some truth to it for some people.
我们说数学让人很痛苦,对某些人来说,这或多或少是真的。
But where does this math anxiety come from? It turns out that math anxiety is contagious.
但这种数学焦虑从何而来?结果发现,数学焦虑是会传染的。
When adults are worried about math, the children around them start worrying, too.
当成人在担心数学,他们周围的儿童也会开始担心。
As young as first grade, when kids are in classrooms with teachers who are anxious about their own math ability,
小至一年级的学童,当他们在教室中,老师对于其自身的数学能力感到焦虑时,
these kids learn less across the school year.
这些孩子在那个学年度学到的就会比较少。
And it turns out that this is more prevalent in girls than boys.
结果发现,这种情况在女孩当中比在男孩当中更常见。
At this young age, kids tend to mimic same-sex adults,
在这么小的时候,孩子很容易会去模仿同性别的成人,
and at least in the US, over 90 percent of our elementary school teachers are women.
至少在美国,我们的小学老师有超过90%是女性。
Of course, it's not just what happens in the classroom. Social media plays a big role here, too.
当然,这状况不只发生在教室中。社交媒体也扮演很重要的角色。
It wasn't so long ago that you could purchase a Teen Talk Barbie that when the cord was pulled,
不久之前,你还买得到会说话的少女芭比娃娃,把线绳拉起来之后,
it would say things like, "Will we ever have enough clothes?" and "Math class is tough."
它就会说这样的话:“我们永远少一件衣服。”和“数学课好难。”
And just a few years ago, major retailers were marketing T-shirts at our young girls that read things like,
几年前,大型零售商在行销给年轻女孩的T恤上面会写着
"I'm too pretty to do math," or, "I'm too pretty to do my homework so my brother does it for me."
“我太漂亮,不需要算数学。”或是“我太漂亮,不用做作业,所以我兄弟会帮我做。”
And let's not forget about the parents. Oh, the parents.
别忘了还有父母。喔,父母。
It turns out that when parents are worried about their own math ability and they help their kids a lot with math homework,
结果发现,如果父母担心自己的数学能力且常常教孩子做数学作业,
their kids learn less math across the school year.
他们的孩子在那个学年所学到的数学就会比较少。
As one parent put it, "I judge my first grader's math homework by whether it's a one-glass assignment or a three-glass night."
有一位家长这样说:“我判断我家一年级生的数学作业难易程度是看它得花喝一杯酒还是三杯酒的时间。”
When adults are anxious about their own math ability, it rubs off on their kids and it affects whether they choke or thrive.
当成人对于他们自己的数学能力感到焦虑,也会影响他们的孩子,并且会影响到他们的表现是失常或出色。
But just as we can put limits on others, we can take them off.
但我们可以在其他人身上加上限制,我们也可以拿掉限制。
My research team and I have shown that when we help parents do fun math activities with their kids
我和研究团队发现,当我们协助父母与孩子进行有趣的数学活动,
rather than, say, just doing bedtime stories or bedtime reading, they do bedtime math,
取代床边故事或床边诵读,改成做床边数学,
which are fun story problems to do with your kids at night,
跟孩子一起在晚间解决有趣的故事性问题,
not only do children's attitudes about math improve, but their math performance across the school year improves as well.
不仅是孩子对于数学的态度会改善,他们在那个学年的数学表现亦会改善。
Our environment matters. From the classroom to parents to media,
我们的环境是重要的。从教室,到父母,到媒体,
and it can really make a difference in terms of whether we choke or thrive.
环境真的可以造成不同,决定我们的表现会失常或出色。
Fast-forward from my high school soccer game to my freshman year in college.
从我高中的足球比赛快转到我大学一年级。
I was in the chemistry sequence for science majors, and boy did I not belong.
我在读化学学程,准备主修科学,天,那真不适合我。
Even though I studied for my first midterm exam -- I thought I was ready to go -- I bombed it.
虽然我为第一次期中考苦读--我以为我准备好了--我考得很烂。
I literally got the worst grade in a class of 400 students.
我的成绩真的是四百个学生当中最低的。
I was convinced I wasn't going to be a science major, that maybe I was dropping out of college altogether.
我深信我不可能主修科学的,说不定我根本就连大学都要一起放弃掉。
But then I changed how I studied.
但接着,我改变了读书方式。
Instead of studying alone, I started studying with a group of friends
我不再自己一个人读,我开始和一群朋友一起读,
who at the end of the study session would close their book and compete for the right answer.
在读书会的尾声,他们会把书本合上,比赛作答。
We learned to practice under stress.
我们学会在压力下练习。
If you could've looked inside my brain during that first midterm exam,
如果在第一次期中考时能看到我的大脑内部,
you likely would've seen a neural pain response a lot like the math-anxious individuals I study.
很可能会看到有神经痛的反应发生,就像是我研究的那些数学焦虑者。
It was probably there during the stressful study situation as well.
可能在有压力的读书会过程中也会有同样的反应。
But when I walked into the final, my mind was quiet, and I actually got one of the highest grades in the entire class.
但当我去考期末考时,我很平静,我真的得到了全班最高分之一。
It wasn't just about learning the material; it was about learning how to overcome my limits when it mattered most.
重点并不只是要学习教材;还要学习如何在最关键的时刻克服我的限制。
What happens in our heads really matters, and knowing this, we can learn how to prepare ourselves and others for success,
我们脑中发生的状况是很重要的,知道这一点,我们就可以学习如何让自己准备好,也帮他人准备好迎向成功,
not just on the playing field but in the boardroom and in the classroom as well. Thank you.
不仅是在球场上,也在会议室以及教室中,迎向成功。谢谢大家。

分享到
重点单词
  • chokevi. 窒息,阻塞 vt. (掐住或阻塞气管)使(某人)
  • assignmentn. 分配,功课,任务,被指定的(课外)作业;(分派的)
  • controln. 克制,控制,管制,操作装置 vt. 控制,掌管,支
  • anxietyn. 焦虑,担心,渴望
  • analysisn. 分析,解析
  • thrivevi. 兴旺,繁荣,茁壮成长
  • elementaryadj. 基本的,初级的,元素的
  • distractvt. 转移,分心
  • resonancen. 共鸣,共振,洪亮
  • stressn. 紧张,压力 v. 强调,着重 vt. 强调 n.