(单词翻译:单击)
中英文本
When I enter Pete's home, he's in the bedroom with Jimmie's body, sitting on the bed stroking her hair.
我走进皮特的家,吉米躺在床上,皮特抚摸着她的头发 。
I sit beside him. He's a big, rough-looking man with a crooked nose and muscular, tattooed forearms.
我坐在他旁边,他块头很大,长相粗犷,鹰钩鼻,前臂上有纹身,肌肉发达 。
"I let her down," he says. "Spent my time working. Never told her I loved her."
“我让她失望了,”他说 。“我一直在工作,从来没有告诉过她我爱她 。”
Rather than let him get sucked into a narrative of guilt, I ask what he did do.
为了不让他陷入自责,我问他做过的事 。
He describes spending long days at the oncology clinic,
他描述了在肿瘤诊所度过的漫长日子,
building a wheelchair ramp so she could smell her rosebushes,
他做了一个轮椅坡道好让吉米闻到玫瑰花香,
working extra shifts to pay for her medications.
他加班给吉米支付医药费 。
Using memories like these, we zero in on how he'd expressed his love—
凭借着这些记忆,我们明白了皮特表达爱意的方式——
not through words but through gestures of affection and acts of loyalty and sacrifice.
不是言语,而是爱意,忠诚和牺牲 。
We talk throughout the night.
我们彻夜长谈 。
Eventually Pete lets me call his buddy Tank, who shows up just as the funeral home people arrive.
最终皮特让我给他的好友汤克打电话,汤克是和殡仪馆一起来的那个人 。
Pete, Tank, and I discuss Pete's threats and what's driving them.
我和皮特、汤克讨论了皮特的危险处境和原因 。
I talk about coping strategies and optimizing support.
我提出了应对策略和优化方案 。
But these textbook recommendations take a back seat to the simple imperative
但这些建议不及简单地——
to open my heart and be fully present to someone who's hurting.
敞开心扉,全身心抚慰受伤的人 。
And that, I've come to believe, is what Claude was talking about:
我开始相信,这就是克劳德所说的:
the power of moving toward another's suffering rather than away.
怀抱而不是远离所带来的力量 。
Driving home, exhausted, I reflect on the words Tank left with me.
驱车回家时,我疲惫不堪,想起了汤克留给我的那句话 。
"You got him through the night, Scott," he said.
“斯科特,你让他熬过了这一夜,”汤克说 。
"Me and my wife'll take it from here. I promise."
“我和我妻子会重新出发,我保证 。”
I feel sad for Pete's loss. But I know he'll be surrounded by love.
我为皮特失去所爱之人感到难过,但我知道包围他的是满满的爱 。
And in my mind's eye, I see Claude lifting his beer bottle and giving me one of his crooked smiles.
在脑海中,我看到克劳德举起啤酒瓶,向我露出一丝狡黠的微笑 。
重点讲解
1.take a back seat 处于默默无闻的地位
Executives from two firms attest that its representatives take a back seat at board meetings.
两个公司的主管认可中投代表在董事会议中退居二线 。
2.zero in 调整归零;瞄准具校正
Under the first rule, a zero in the list indicates a break between blocks.
在第一个规则中,列表中的零表示块之间的间断 。
3.moving toward 向前行
Every team needs someone with the vision to keep it looking and moving forward.
每个团队都需要一个有远见的人来推动它向前进步 。
4.surrounded by 包围的
Surrounded by powerful neighbors, Korea should come up with a plan to coexist with them.
韩国被强大的邻国包围,应该拿出一个计划,设法与它们共存 。
译文由可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载 。